How long for a horse to settle into new environment?

Casey76

Visit site
I'm amazed by all of the threads about people (in the world in general) who seek to return a horse after a month, sometimes even less, due to behavioural issues.

While I would say I'm a bit overly generous in allowing a 6-month settling in period before really assessing performance/personality, I think that 1 month is a little short.

Changing environment/routine/feed can be bery upsetting, and often horses who appear to be quiet and obliging are actually shut down trying to assimilate all of the change, then once they are feeling a bit more secure their "personality" appears, or they start objecting, and all of a sudden you have a "problem" horse. How about people show a little more empathy/understanding rather than label their new horse a problem?

I bought my mare from the field, she had been out in the field for almost three years with very little handling and only occasionally hacked around. Moving her from that quiet environment to a busy riding school blew her mind. She didn't shut down though, she went the opposite way and would spook at everything, and nothing (despite being on grass hay only). She would freak out at the farm traffic passing by the exterior of her stable, riding her was like sitting on a ticking bomb, and it severely dented my confidence.

After a month a space became available at the other yard where my youngster was, and we moved immediately. The new yard, though still a farm, was much quieter, and without the masses of foot traffic of the riding school, and she appeared more settled after just a week.

Now that she has been there 6 months, she is back to the quiet, calm but curious girlie I first saw. My confidence is growing again and we are having a lot of fun. She is still a lot sharper to ride than I expected, but I can cope with that.

However, if I had been of a different mind, I could have sent her back within a few weeks as she is not what I was expecting, I felt over horsed (with a 13.3 pony ;) ), and a completely incompetant rider (again).

I'm not saying that no one should return a horse if missold, but I would certainly allow a longer settling in period than first imagined, perhaps?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
In my view to completely know a new horse you need to go through all four seasons with them.....we brought two new boys, full brothers, back in May.
The younger one, who both us and the breeders thought would be fine, was very unsettled for a few months but his nervous when we tried him older brother is absolutely loving yard life, being in work, and after spending tens years living out with no rugs thinks that this whole have rugs, outdoor AND pjs that he loves wearing at night, stable with two big Haynes in is the best thing ever!:D so at least 4/5 months to start working each other out a year to really know them.

EffyCorsten

Visit site
It does seem like some people think they are machines or should settle in like dogs tend too within hours. It's virtually impossible to say if and how a horse will change when it moves to a new yard and has to cope with new owners.
Of course it is a different story if the horse was drugged at viewing but usually it's the same story that the horse has spooked, the rider has tanked and therefor it must have been miss sold. :(

It tends to be the less experienced horse owners that feel their horse has turned into a demon and has been miss sold, I agree they really do need a longer settling in period.

WelshD

Visit site
I have had one of my ponies for 18 months and he has never been really settled here much to my disappointment and distress.

The other pony walked down the ramp and slotted straight in from day one without a single issue

They both came from the same home too!

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
My mare wasnt mine to start with when she arrived on the yard, she was my bosses. Outwardly, and ridden she looked as calm as anything. The only thing she wouldnt do was stay in the isolation paddock on her own, and solo turn out she still wont do. My bosses daughter decided a couple of months later to sell her so i started with her, and still she looked calm as anything. I remember getting on after i had had her about 9 months and her feeling totally chilled. It was a massive lesson for me as although she was well behaved, she obviously didnt feel at home for a long time. It does make me cross when people expect a horse to settle overnight in new surroundings with new people and behave like it did when viewed in the previous home. If we move house it takes time to settle and we are rational thinking humans.

Equestriangirl123

Visit site
Wlll be following this post with interest .
My way of doing things with a new horse is taking it home and then hacking it out straight away , many owners I know give their horses a week or two to settle in without riding them , however , I don't agree with doing it this way . My view on it is , if you went for a day ride else where and you boxed your horse there , then it's no different to getting on them right away and going for a ride !

I have used this method with all my horses , and never had any issues .

However , I don't believe people know their horses inside out for at least 3 years ! You need to go through a few years with them to really understand their behaviours

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't think a lot of people give the horse long enough to settle in, but I think those people tend to be the more inexperienced who literally expect the horse to be like a machine. I've had one horse who chucked me off loads in the first few months but once you get through that, you normally end up with a fantastic relationship with them. Whilst I dont think you should expect to fall off a lot early on, it does happen and it will very rarely go perfectly early on when you're both trying to get used to each other and everything in the horses life has changed, horses IMO take at least 6-9 months to really settle.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Casey76 - what a good thread. I agree with everything you have said. Many horses take several months to settle. My best ever horse was a nightmare for the first 6 months and didn't really settle and trust me until I had had her a year. So many people told me to sell her. But she ended up as my horse of a lifetime, my soul mate and I miss her every day.

My new girl is totally different. Even though she is only two, she is so laid back and calm about everything. Although I do think that she was a little closed down to start with and is becoming more opinionated now she has been here for two weeks!

But I agree, there are too many people who want to throw in the towel straight away. Thankfully there is also plenty of good experienced advice to help them on here.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I don't think a lot of new owners realise their horse has as many feelings and emotions (almost) as they do. Some horses settle straight away - some may take a year. Management of the new arrival is a key part of this - slowly, slowly, slowly.