How long for hock injections to work

santander123

New User
Visit site
He had them done 9 days ago, and hes now sound in walk when he was quite lame before. Still lame in trot though, and I'm pretty glum as the vet said in two weeks he should be a different horse :)

Would appreciate any experiences please !

be positive

Visit site
The one here that had them late last year was not obviously lame, even the vets thought her sound initially including on flexion tests, no real changes showed on xrays just a questionable area that they thought was worth treating, the improvement was gradual and is still ongoing in the way she is moving better during work so I would not expect miracles with an obviously lame horse, it should reduce the inflammation, allow the joint to be less uncomfortable and over a period of time it may come sound but it injections are not going to work for all horses, often it is the increased ability for exercise that the injections allow that makes as much difference to the outcome.

I think your vet may have been slightly optimistic and raised your expectations a bit high, have they suggested physio which may be useful as he could be sore elsewhere from compensating and don't forget his saddle may also need a tweak as his back could well have changed shape while he was unlevel, both will help with the longer term success of the injections but for now I would be pleased he has improved i walk and be doing all I could to continue with the rehab plan, possibly a little slower than the vet implied.

SEL

Visit site
With steroid injections I had about 3 weeks where I thought I had my horse back, then she had a gallop in the field and that was that.

Gel injections have made a much bigger difference so if you don't get the results you hoped for with steroids then I'd recommend them