How long for pain meds to take effect?

fankino04

Visit site
So vet has now put noodle on pardale v, tramadol and gabapentin. Could anyone advise how long these take to have an effect?

fankino04

Visit site
Initially I was hoping for an injury that could be treated as a one off thing not degenerative as the best outcome, then I read the rave reviews on librella and thought an arthritis flare up wouldn't necessarily be too bad an issue, it would appear she's got both so needed to give a deadline but of course now I'm worrying that I'm not giving her tendon enough time to recover, god I need to stop overthinking things! Hopefully the pain meds will allow her to get up with the bad tendons and we can just restrict her movement so as to allow them to heal, it's not like tendon injuries keep you / or your dog totally off your feet. She seems so happy today as long as she doesn't move, think the bacon and sausage I brought home from work went down well lol

wren123

Visit site
My dog was given tramadol when she injured herself and metacam didn't help at all. Tramadol had a very dramatic beneficial effect very quickly.

fankino04

Visit site
My dog was given tramadol when she injured herself and metacam didn't help at all. Tramadol had a very dramatic beneficial effect very quickly.
When she did the original tendon injury in the front leg last year the I think the tramadol started to work in a few hours, she was starting to look a bit drowsy just before I took her supper out to her so I think that might be the tramadol again lol. Will call the vet in the morning and ask if any tendon support / brace would be good for her. Just checked her again with the thermal camera and lots less red tonight except the tendon on her back leg.

wren123

Visit site
I've just seen your other thread, my girl has arthritis in one elbow, she keeps very well on yumove advance 360.
The incident when she took tramadol was a couple of years ago. She jumped awkwardly out of the river, walked home then after an hour or so stiffened up and was really in a bad way, it seemed to be her hips that were affected. I was worried sick but my vet was fairly certain it was an injury and sure enough she recovered quite quickly. Hopefully your dog will be the same.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Tramadol worked very quickly on my dog too.
Be aware it comes with risk, i used it with absolutely no other choice. It can cause (and sadly in my dogs case did to the extreme) hind limb weakness.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
My old girl was on a similar cocktail, the vet said it should help her within 24 hours. It did briefly but not for long, we tried an increased dose of gabapentin but the side effects weren't good so I made the decision to let her go. I couldn't bear seeing a previously active dog struggling to get around.
I think with Noodle it isn't just the tendon it's the other issues too, so you do need to look at the overall picture, I imagine the arthritis means she isn't able to take the weight off the leg with the tendon injury very well, hence not wanting to move.

Last edited:

fankino04

Visit site
My old girl was on a similar cocktail, the vet said it should help her within 24 hours. It did briefly but not for long, we tried an increased dose of gabapentin but the side effects weren't good so I made the decision to let her go. I couldn't bear seeing a previously active dog struggling to get around.
I think with Noodle it isn't just the tendon it's the other issues too, so you do need to look at the overall picture, I imagine the arthritis means she isn't able to take the wait off the leg with the tendon injury very well, hence not wanting to move.
I understand that the arthritis is a major issue too for her but I feel ( and may be wrong) that it's the tendon injury currently stopping her getting up. I worry that I won't give her long enough to recover from that but at the same time I can't and won't leave her for many days unable to move on her own. It's so hard with the stronger drugs to tell how happy she is though when she is so sleepy, before they kicked in last night she was loving her bit of sunbathing. Think it will be a reasses at the weekend.

Birker2020

Visit site
I understand that the arthritis is a major issue too for her but I feel ( and may be wrong) that it's the tendon injury currently stopping her getting up. I worry that I won't give her long enough to recover from that but at the same time I can't and won't leave her for many days unable to move on her own. It's so hard with the stronger drugs to tell how happy she is though when she is so sleepy, before they kicked in last night she was loving her bit of sunbathing. Think it will be a reasses at the weekend.
Sorry you are in this position, hope she's better after the weekend. Having just lost a horse that I tried 100% to help time and time and time again I understand how mentally and physically draining this can be. Make sure you take time out for yourself.

fankino04

Visit site
Sorry you are in this position, hope she's better after the weekend. Having just lost a horse that I tried 100% to help time and time and time again I understand how mentally and physically draining this can be. Make sure you take time out for yourself.
Thanks, I'm exhausted already from the stressing. Spoke with vet this morning as she can do injection this afternoon instead of tomorrow and said she has no interest in getting up and moving now which might well be the drugs but surely a few days totally off her feet is good for the tendon injury, vet said she has to do a small amount of walking twice per day. Put harness on her so could support her front end with that and sling for her back end and got her up but she just won't use her legs, she didn't act in pain at being moved though so again not sure if the failure to use her legs is drugs, pain or given up ?

fankino04

Visit site
It must be awful for you. Thinking of you and Noodle.
It's the difficulty of knowing I've given her enough time to recover versus feeling cruel keeping her going. She didn't seem in pain when I was moving her trying to get a harness on her this morning and she is still interested when you talk to her etc so just have to play it by ear.

Birker2020

Visit site
Having known a Daschund go from completely paralysed and unable to use her legs to being able to use them to walk around unaided after a couple of weeks I can say that sometimes the situation is reversible. However in her case it was a disc issue and not related to arthritis or particuarly old age.

However she received intensive physio from my friend (registered ACPAT therapist) which involves swimming in the bath tub every night.