How LONG is your horse?

cp1980

Visit site
Just wondered how long your horse is?

Do you know how long it is from the front to the back? From the nose and/or the base of the neck to the back of the tail?

And how tall is your horse too (just to put things in perspective)?

Is your horse or pony able to stand normally in your horsebox or is he/she too long?
confused.gif

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Well he takes 7'6 rugs so I guess about that long?
He is 18.1hh.
He is fine travelling forwards or backwards in a lorry but can get a bit squished if it is a herringbone format.

ironhorse

Visit site
Quite long for a 15hh - wears 6ft 3in rugs! She's fine in our lorry tho, as it's forward facing. Her big problem is her massive hips (ahem!) - she has to be extricated really carefully from the front of the trailer or she bashes her hip, one reason why we bought a lorry.
We had a ladies hunter who was 17.2hh and too long really for any lorry when travelling herringbone. We had to pad his tail up really well or he ended up getting sore.
Big horses in general travel better facing forward or backwards.

Pixxie

Visit site
Marley is 15.2hh and in 6ft rugs and travels comfortably any way just doesnt like the loading
tongue.gif
so hes fairly normal

Teddy is 16.2hh and in 6ft 9 rugs so i think hes quite long and i dont really know about travelling hes fine herringbone as thats how i got him home so i think he'd be fine any way lol

x

Wigglypigs

Visit site
My god your horse is HUGE
ooo.gif

Mine is 17hands and takes a 6ft 9 in rugs. Fits fine in a 510/511 ifor williams but gets a teeny bit squished if the the heringbone is to 'straight' in the lorry (if you get what i mean here)
Needs an x-full/warmblood bridle and x full travel boots.
Hes a DWB by the way

RachelB

Visit site
Maiden is a big middleweight IDx, 15.3hh, takes 6'6" rugs, and doesn't like going in lorries. She is fine in a "normal" sized trailer but she kicked the hell out of my friend's 3-horse herringbone lorry as we tried to fit her and two babies in it and Maiden obviously felt too squished
crazy.gif
She was ok in another friend's little 3.5t 2-horse backwards-facing lorry, but still a little anxious as the stalls weren't that long and didn't really have enough room for her neck to stretch out for her to balance. When she's stressed she'll go from weaving and dancing from foot to foot, to full-blown kicking the s*** out of the sides/ramp/whatever is behind (unless there is a person behind!) and trying to escape/launch herself off the ramp
crazy.gif

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron is 16.3hh and wears 6'6" or 6'9" rugs.
he fits in our extra long trailer easily, and it a bit squished into an Ifor williams 510.

my sisters horse is 16.1hh and wears 6'9" or 7'0" rugs.
hence the need for extra long trailer!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Bodey- 15hh but takes a 6ft 6 rug, due to needing the room on the shoulders.

Badger-14hh-ish, takes a 6ft 3 rug, once again big at the front.

Both fit in our 3.5 tonne horse box easily.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Mine is 16.3hh and take 7ft3/7ft6 rugs, she is long and broad, she only just fits in a large richardson supreme trailer. I'm looking boxes at the minute and having to check all the dimensions.

miss_c

Visit site
Genie is 14.3 1/2hh and currently wearing 6ft rugs - Welsh Section D

Mazzie was 15.2hh and wore 5'9 rugs, 5'6 in some makes! (And yes, they DID fit her properly)

Irishcobs

Visit site
Shamrock takes 7ft rugs and is 17hh ID x cob.
Hattie takes 6ft6 rugs and is 15.3hh HW cob.
Gyp takes 6ft rugs and is 15.1hh MW cob but has a huge chest.

I have a 510 trailer. I had to get one as Hattie wouldn't go in anything smaller as she hates to feel the bar behind her.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Dex is 14.3hh cob wearing 6'6"
Nod is 15hh cob wearing 6'6"
io is 16hh appy/cob wear 6'3"
Jacob is clydesdale x TB 16.2hh wears 7@
and 17hh Sol wears 6'9"
They all fit ok in my herringbone lorry- not all at the same time of course!