How long on box rest for mild laminitic?

kcgibson

Visit site
when my pony had laminitis (it was quite bad tho as person looking after him whilst we were on hol put him in a huge field up to his knees in grass!! we had told him not to!!) he was stabled for at least 4-6 weeks. he was in there on pain relief and was that bad at the beginning that he was laying down most of the time. poor fella. we slowly got him better and when he was standing (and able to) we walked him out on a headcollar down the barn (this was all he could manage at first). gradually we built him up and after a few weeks he could go for a proper walk across the fields. if your pony/horse is now sound, you could maybe allow him outside access in a starvation paddock with just hay, just to allow him to move around a bit more (i personnally dont like horses stabled, unless under strict box rest of course). but allowing him to move around a little more wont do him any harm i would think. just as long as he cant stuff himself on grass/feed!! good luck with him.

Tiggy1

Visit site
I led her out today for the first time in 10 days and she seemed quite stiff but not necessarily footy.
She is still on bute one sachet a day in the morning and is leaping around her stable bucking and rearing so is obviously feeling really well on soft ground.
I could put her up into a cattle yard on deep litter to let her move around a bit more but don't want to move her too soon.
Best to phone the vet / farrier before I do anything