How long to settle into a new yard?

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Owner wise?

Horse appears to have settled (certainly on the ground) and is happy as being fed :D

But I am struggling to get into the groove and settle in :( Been on new yard for coming up to 2 weeks having been on last yard for 6 odd years. I know it is just change, but am losing confidence in my riding because feel under scrutiny and while settled routine wise, pony is being unusually spooky in the arena.

So, who long did it take you to settle into somewhere new?

BorgRae

Visit site
It took me a good month and a half to properly settle at my new yard. When I first moved, I really wasn't sure at about the new yard at all to be honest!! It was big, and different and scary!!! I loved my last yard, but had to move for the benefit of my boy.

However, after about a month and a half, I'd had the chance to bump into most people, and those people that seemed scary and bitchy at first, were actually really nice and helpful!! I'd had a chance to see the yard in all weathers, lights, and times of day, got to grips with my routine and got set in my ways. I'd experienced my horse being good, bad and indifferent...

And after that month and a half, I loved it!! Give it time :)

applecart14

Visit site
Straight away almost. Felt very welcomed to present yard and I am now the longest surviving livery - having been there nine years. There are no 'real' rules at our yard, so its quite easy going (although not having rules does cause problems too!) I know what you mean about being under scrutiny with your riding, as I hate it when I think people are watching me, and spend most of my time in the school looking out for people watching me as I am a little paranoid. But being a little overweight makes me feel like this as my riding had deteriorated over the years (or put it this way no one says "you and Bailey looked nice in the school earlier") :( so I guess its the same thing.

And then I think "you know what I've been out, I've done it, yes I've never reached the dizzy heights of showjumping or dressage, but I've had fun, I go out almost every weekend, and have done for nearly nine years (on my own, rarely with help, and never have lessons) and at least I go out and do it, which is more than some do".

Think like that and its a little easier.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Owner wise?

Horse appears to have settled (certainly on the ground) and is happy as being fed :D

But I am struggling to get into the groove and settle in :( Been on new yard for coming up to 2 weeks having been on last yard for 6 odd years. I know it is just change, but am losing confidence in my riding because feel under scrutiny and while settled routine wise, pony is being unusually spooky in the arena.

So, who long did it take you to settle into somewhere new?

Oh bless you - that's quite a change after 6 years. Honestly, I think it depends on the yard . . . I've settled straight into some and never settled on others. Previous yard took me a good two/three months to really hit my stride, but I'd been ill for four months previous to that and my boy had been on full livery so I was completely out of the routine of mucking out/caring for him daily anyway. Like you, I have recently moved (last Monday) and have felt completely at home at the new yard since Day One . . . it might be because it's so small (just owner and two liveries) so there are fewer people to get to know . . . it might be because YO is just sooooo relaxed and laid back . . . or it might just be because it's right for us.

However, I do think that two weeks in a new place after 6 years somewhere else is not much time to get settled . . . why do you feel under scrutiny? Is the new yard a relatively big/busy place? How many people have you met and got to know? I'm not challenging your feelings, just trying to understand why you feel a tad uncomfortable?

Big hugs.

P

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Daft thing is, that in the grand scheme of things, Pony is still probably one of the better behaved in the arena and others have said they've been there for a while and their horse is still spooked in the arena.

I think also not having anything in writing, like costs of services etc is adding to my uneasiness. Am also pooping myself about turning him out next week as they are all shared paddocks and he's not been out with another horse for about 2 years. Sure it will be fine.

Positive thinking :D

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Oh bless you - that's quite a change after 6 years. Honestly, I think it depends on the yard . . . I've settled straight into some and never settled on others. Previous yard took me a good two/three months to really hit my stride, but I'd been ill for four months previous to that and my boy had been on full livery so I was completely out of the routine of mucking out/caring for him daily anyway. Like you, I have recently moved (last Monday) and have felt completely at home at the new yard since Day One . . . it might be because it's so small (just owner and two liveries) so there are fewer people to get to know . . . it might be because YO is just sooooo relaxed and laid back . . . or it might just be because it's right for us.

However, I do think that two weeks in a new place after 6 years somewhere else is not much time to get settled . . . why do you feel under scrutiny? Is the new yard a relatively big/busy place? How many people have you met and got to know? I'm not challenging your feelings, just trying to understand why you feel a tad uncomfortable?

Big hugs.

P

I have met most of the other liveries, they are established in their routine and 'groups' etc. which is understandable. I think also that I am having to take my lead from other liveries, rather than the owner is making me uncomfortable as I don't know anyone enough to know if I can trust them.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the yard, the other liveries or the YO at all (just normal niggles from going to a completely DIY set up to a not as DIY as the other liveries think :D).

Guess moving lock, stock and Pony's kitchen sink across the other side of the country is now sinking in...

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Think it depends on how your horse settles too, if my horses seem happy and settled I will settle much quicker than if they seem uneasy.

I moved to my yard a year ago, after 6 years at previous yard. Took me about 2 months to fully settle and feel at home. If you still feel uncomforatble after a few months, perhaps try and figure out whats making you feel this way and take steps to resolve it, if you can't find anything inparticular, maybe this yard is not for you. Good luck :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have met most of the other liveries, they are established in their routine and 'groups' etc. which is understandable. I think also that I am having to take my lead from other liveries, rather than the owner is making me uncomfortable as I don't know anyone enough to know if I can trust them.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the yard, the other liveries or the YO at all (just normal niggles from going to a completely DIY set up to a not as DIY as the other liveries think :D).

Guess moving lock, stock and Pony's kitchen sink across the other side of the country is now sinking in...

It's hard to figure out where to fit in when other liveries have their established routines/groups - which, as you say, is understandable. Why are you taking your lead from the other liveries rather than the YO - is YO not "present"? If so, what won't help.

Also, if you have also moved, you will be all at sea - you are talking about a massive change . . . give yourself a break but do keep a weather eye on things in case this isn't the right yard for you. If it isn't, take your time looking for somewhere "right" . . .

Big hugs.

P

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I decided to move :D

Wasn't getting better, and compounded by lack of turnout for the pony. The only way I can manage his weight and lami risk is to have him outside and moving for as long as possible and this just wasn't possible. If I had felt settled I might've just accepted it and gone down route of triple netting etc.

Had a moment where wasn't sure if jumping out of the pan into the fire, but I guess time will tell. OH says it seems a bit more easy going on new yard.

Fingers crossed I guess!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
current yard, straight away, as im on my own!

a previous yard I was there for 6 weeks and no one bothered talking to me at all in that time! luckily I was only there whilst walking for my yard to get made available but had to get my horses off the pervious grazing as it was poisoning them!

MochaDun

Visit site
I started at a yard with my pony new to me too 9 years ago. Took a wee while to make friends but got out hacking with others (had to as mine was napping) and asked for advice from the more experienced riders and horse owners as he tested the boundaries a bit and that's a good way to break the ice too. I like meeting new people and am interested in what they do with their horses in terms of competion etc so am probably asking too many questions but that's how you get to know people. They'll always be those that criticise at a yard - it sadly comes with the territory. I was 9 years at my first yard and moved this summer to a new yard which was a difficult thing to do having been at one place for so long and while it took pony a month or two to settle as so different he's done really well and I feel settled as a lovely group of people. We're just going into our winter regime now so I know it will take a little time for him to adjust to that too - I think sometimes it takes a year's worth of the changes/routine at a new place for some horses.

Mine's had to be introduced to 2 new horses at the new yard - he was used to herd turnout before (10-12!) so he went the opposite way in terms of numbers and so far all been good. I much prefer group turnout than individual paddocks and find 2-4 in a paddock like we have now is much easier to manage than the horrible fight and crush at the gate I used to have getting mine out of a bigger herd of 12 when he was bottom of the pecking order!