How long was your first lesson?

JBR

Visit site
Hi folks! I'm excited to be having my first riding lesson next week as a complete adult beginner.

The centre manager has booked me in for a private lesson with himself lasting an hour. He knows I'm a beginner - he's briefed me on what to wear.

Does this seem too long? Most places seem to go for 30-minute lessons for complete beginners.

I keep an open mind and hope the lesson is split between actual riding and doing things off the horse. Although, a part of me thinks I may have been duped into agreeing to something unnecessary and almost twice the price.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts and experiences are!

Thanks ?

Skib

sites.google.com
I had my first lesson as an adult beginner and the half hour lesson was too short. An hour would have been great.
Most of my half hour was taken up by teaching me how to adjust my stirrups and my girth from the saddle. I was also (on safety grounds after another elderly rider fell when dismounting) taught the cavalry dismount which I continue to use to this day.

It is quite likely that at some point in the future you too may hack solo or share a horse and need to take care of these these things for yourself. But if I had had an hour lesson like you are offered, I would have loved that.

It is also good that you are booked with an experienced teacher. I was taught by about 6 different students in my first 2 months of riding. My first year of lessons were highy problematical. And what you have been offered sounds good, if you can afford it.

If you cant afford a 1 hour lesson, it is best to discuss it with the school. Riding is an expensive hobby and I was lucky. I had a legacy and could afford to ride twice a week.

Stable management lessons (tacking up, grooming etc) are usually a bit cheaper as one is not working the RS horse.
Ground work (how to lead the horse and control it from the ground) is also for me as important as learning to ride.

But the truth is that an adult learner can change riding schools and search out good teachers. Riding is like learning a musical instrument or a foreign language. It takes a long time and persistence. But it sounds to me as if you have been offered the perfect start.

cold_feet

Visit site
How exciting! Hope you get hooked ?. As a complete beginner as Skib says there is an awful lot to take in, even before you get on the horse. With an hour lesson at least you should get a reasonable time in the saddle (but not so much you can’t walk next day?).

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I had a single trial lesson in the US, and it was a full hour, the horse was already tacked up when I arrived.

First lesson here in France was also a full hour.

JBR

Visit site
Thanks for your responses. I thought I'd give an update.

So... I'm predictably hooked! ?

It was a full hour of riding. I spent half of the lesson on body position, walking, doing halts at various arena letters. The latter half was developing a rising trot while holding the pommel/saddle pad. Near the end, the instructor was very tempted to get me to do it without holding anything but decided to end on a high and do it the next lesson (in two weeks). Something to look forward to for next time! ?

Lessons are a bit ad hoc as the centre is busy and my instructor is off on holiday next week. But I think I will aim for at least an hours lesson a week.

Two weeks is a long time. Do any of you have any thoughts on minimising the loss of learning?

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
You could do some exercises to strengthen your legs and core?

You will need these muscles a lot when riding so if you can get yourself fit, in theory that should help develop your riding.

Reactions: JBR

windand rain

Visit site
With kids I suggest the arm of a sofa but sitting backwards way on a chair and practice rising trot without using reins is one thing, you can add another chair with reins to the back so if you pull the chair will move it teaches lightness of hands. Gentle hand movements and not using the reins to balance is great practice. to make it harder pop tennis balls under the balls of your feet