How Long When Turmeric Kicks in Do Horses Settle?

Nasicus

Visit site
And that is of course different - my father's Doctor prescribed him tablets and seemed to completely forget that he had glaucoma - in spite of the fact that my father has been to the Eye Clinic at the Hospital for a year and all of the information about my fathers eyes has been fed back to the local GP practice - luckily my father (who is 81) appears brighter than his doctor and flagged the issue up to him as my Father had taken the time to read the enclosed contra indications on the pamphlet which the Doctor had a) not bothered to do and b) not had the knowledge to realise there was an issue.

So from that which is not the only issue that we have had from the local surgery of Doctors for my Father - don't ever rely on the medical profession to get it right - be that horsey or human!! Or you could be dead fairly quickly from our experience - research it all - for you and your horse would be my advice!!

Interesting, I wonder what medical system the practice was using, as normally most systems now will automatically flag up any incompatibilities between medication/conditions when the doctor tries to prescribe it! But that's just me being curious george, used to provide support for a few of the systems :)

sjp1

Visit site
surely it's effects, that you asked about are rather directly correlated as to whether you may or may not agree with it/think it a good idea?
I am not sure who you are amused by but as I do have a barefoot, forage fed, molasses free horse I am presuming not myself :p. But I opt to feed boswellia over turmeric, and have more recently tested it on myself too ;). I do find some of the anecdotally reported side effects of turmeric in people a little worrying which is why I also haven't opted for it myself, and am a little surprised how many people are then happy to feed it to their animals, as a result I might be a bit concerned about any change in behaviour after I had started feeding it, if it were me.

I feed Boswellia as well but I have to say I have not found the effects of boswellia on my horse as amazing as the turmeric. Boswellia really hasn't helped him as much as I hoped it would have - he has been on boswellia for around 6 months now - the turmeric has really helped him.

I asked about how it affected behaviour of a horse who was fed it rather than what people thought about it who hadn't fed it - I am well aware that lots don't want to feed it and thats fine - that wasn't the question. I am taking the turmeric myself and have not been affected adversely by it. And no - it isn't your post that amused me with regard to the ' horses living on the plains of Asia who wouldn't naturally eat Turmeric', but for me, how much do we really know about stuff vets prescribe - lots of people are happy to feed bute or Danilon and they know they know that long term there will be a massive problem - isn't it better to try a more natural product to reduce pain relief in a horse rather than feeding a chemical substance that you KNOW will ultimately cause a massive problem. If my horse was 20 - I would feed him Danilon every day because he possibly wouldn't have more than 4 or 5 years to live. Our older sheepdog is 13 and has worked a lot in his life. I currently have him on Metacam and he has been on that for over a year - I have put him on the dog sized portion of the 'Golden Paste' and he is far more sound and happier and energetic than he has been on the Metacam - and thats after a week - I don't want his liver to pack up in a year or so - at the time I put him on Metacam because it was the only option I had - so I will be reducing his Metacam over this next week and see what the outcome is - I honestly don't understand why people are so happy to feed chemical products and be really happy with the outcome and then be worried about the outcome of herbal products - possibly my horse has had a change in behaviour because he suddenly feels sounder - if it was a product like Top Spec - I am sure people would be recommending it hand over fist!!

sjp1

Visit site
I have no idea - but really whatever system it isn't ideal is it? You would hope that Doctors wouldn't just dish out any old thing without looking at the bigger picture - happily my father is an intelligent man and even at 81 it appears able to understand contra indications better than the Doctor which is fairly worrying - but it behoves us all well to look at all medicines we are prescribed - both for us and for our animals and do our research.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I asked about how it affected behaviour of a horse who was fed it rather than what people thought about it who hadn't fed it - I am well aware that lots don't want to feed it and thats fine - that wasn't the question. I am taking the turmeric myself and have not been affected adversely by it. And no - it isn't your post that amused me with regard to the ' horses living on the plains of Asia who wouldn't naturally eat Turmeric', but for me, how much do we really know about stuff vets prescribe

ermm quite a lot really, that is what clinical trials and post trial data is for is it not? I mean if people would rather not know then that is fine but it isn't because the information isn't out there.
And no it may not always be better to feed a more natural product for the very reason that it has had much, much less testing particularly when they haven't been used in the equine population very long. I consider it pretty dangerous to consider 'natural' to be 'more safe/better' because of this.

.if it was a product like Top Spec - I am sure people would be recommending it hand over fist!!

No we wouldn't! you'd only have to search the forum to see that was definitely NOT the case!

Maybe I should clarify, I would be concerned about any change of behaviour in my horse after I had changed anything in his diet, natural or not, in particular an increase spookiness and would be keeping a close eye. That to me is just sensible!

Fruitcake

Visit site
ermm quite a lot really, that is what clinical trials and post trial data is for is it not? ...

Maybe I should clarify, I would be concerned about any change of behaviour in my horse after I had changed anything in his diet, natural or not, in particular an increase spookiness and would be keeping a close eye. That to me is just sensible!

Exactly this!

I can’t understand why people are against the use of medication with recognised scientific data and clinical trials behind it. Nobody is saying there aren’t side effects to prescribed ‘chemicals’ but, at least they’re well documented and risk assessed.

Tumeric is a known gastric irritant and, in my opinion, a change in behaviour such as spookiness could indicate something like ulcers.

SEL

Visit site
Turmeric did nothing for the arthritis in my old boy, but was a fantastic fly repellant in summer. He's quite a sweaty boy in summer and when on turmeric really stank. He's also normally pestered by flies - but not that summer!!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
And that is of course different - my father's Doctor prescribed him tablets and seemed to completely forget that he had glaucoma - in spite of the fact that my father has been to the Eye Clinic at the Hospital for a year and all of the information about my fathers eyes has been fed back to the local GP practice - luckily my father (who is 81) appears brighter than his doctor and flagged the issue up to him as my Father had taken the time to read the enclosed contra indications on the pamphlet which the Doctor had a) not bothered to do and b) not had the knowledge to realise there was an issue.

So from that which is not the only issue that we have had from the local surgery of Doctors for my Father - don't ever rely on the medical profession to get it right - be that horsey or human!! Or you could be dead fairly quickly from our experience - research it all - for you and your horse would be my advice!!

We have one with ulcers too and its not recommended for them but still some doent listen.

I always research as you need to know the good with the bad

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Willing to give anything a go for my oldie, what should I be buying/mixing? Know there are lots of posts but would appreciate some pointers

I used to buy the Global Herbs turmeric with black pepper but as I have 6 on it for economy I now buy high grade turmeric from Totally Turmeric online and feed a 50 ml measure with a cup of micronised linseed and 7 twists of fresh ground black pepper. The pepper does make a difference in my opinion from experience. My one mare has remained sarcoid free for 4 years now and those with arthritis sound and mobile.

pootleperkin

Visit site
I've read loads of research, and I know there is evidence that curcumin can have a positive effect on inflammation. My issue is that it would be pretty much impossible to get enough turmeric down a horse to get the required therapeutic dose of curcumin - about 500g per day of turmeric to get 20g of turmeric.

This! David Marlin quotes that in order to give the same 'effective' dose as in humans, you need 500g intake per day, so for example a certain brand's 1.8kg pot that says it gives a 62 day supply is way off the mark - more like just under 4 days if you want to try and mirror effectiveness!

He also recently made and reported on a survey taken by horse owners feeding turmeric to see what the perceived benefits are - it makes interesting reading - abstract here: http://www.j-evs.com/article/S0737-0806(17)30242-3/abstract

This - http://www.informationisbeautiful.n...vidence-for-nutritional-supplements-vizsweet/ is a great interactive, quick access diagram for folk wanting to check out the perceived and scientifically established effectiveness of many different 'therapeutic' substances - Turmeric (circumin) is in here - there is promising evidence that it might help with peptic ulcers when used with other medicines but just slight evidence that it might have anti-cancer effects. Sorry OP if this was slightly off topic, but hopefully helpful information in general.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It had no effect on mine's behaviour at all!

More importantly it made no difference to my horses soundness .
There is of course no evidence that it has an antiflammatory effect on horses there is some on humans that seems to show that the tumeric black pepper combo does have an effect on some people .
I think it’s likely to more important that you get the horses with inflammatory issues onto a high omega 3 low sugar diet with no sugary mixes etc .

Casey76

Visit site
I feed Boswellia as well but I have to say I have not found the effects of boswellia on my horse as amazing as the turmeric. Boswellia really hasn't helped him as much as I hoped it would have - he has been on boswellia for around 6 months now - the turmeric has really helped him.

I asked about how it affected behaviour of a horse who was fed it rather than what people thought about it who hadn't fed it - I am well aware that lots don't want to feed it and thats fine - that wasn't the question. I am taking the turmeric myself and have not been affected adversely by it. And no - it isn't your post that amused me with regard to the ' horses living on the plains of Asia who wouldn't naturally eat Turmeric', but for me, how much do we really know about stuff vets prescribe - lots of people are happy to feed bute or Danilon and they know they know that long term there will be a massive problem - isn't it better to try a more natural product to reduce pain relief in a horse rather than feeding a chemical substance that you KNOW will ultimately cause a massive problem. If my horse was 20 - I would feed him Danilon every day because he possibly wouldn't have more than 4 or 5 years to live. Our older sheepdog is 13 and has worked a lot in his life. I currently have him on Metacam and he has been on that for over a year - I have put him on the dog sized portion of the 'Golden Paste' and he is far more sound and happier and energetic than he has been on the Metacam - and thats after a week - I don't want his liver to pack up in a year or so - at the time I put him on Metacam because it was the only option I had - so I will be reducing his Metacam over this next week and see what the outcome is - I honestly don't understand why people are so happy to feed chemical products and be really happy with the outcome and then be worried about the outcome of herbal products - possibly my horse has had a change in behaviour because he suddenly feels sounder - if it was a product like Top Spec - I am sure people would be recommending it hand over fist!!

Sorry, but that is really naive... just because it comes from a natural source, doesn't mean to say it is safe(er) than a pharmaceutical. Natural products are not standardized, and with different sources, processing, storage, packaging... (I could go on) can immensely effect the amount of active ingredient or substance. This can mean that your horse may not get a the same "dose" every day.

products like harpagophytum (devils claw) are just as hard on the stomach as bute; feeding white willow bark (especially tincture or tea) can lead to stomach ulcers and excessive bleeding. Valerian and capsaicin are both banned from competition etc; yet all are "natural"

At least with pharmaceuticals, the therapeutic window has been elucidated; there are also methods in place to report any adverse events to the manufacturer/authorization holder.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
David Marlin quotes that in order to give the same 'effective' dose as in humans, you need 500g intake per day

If that is all he says about dose rates then as a highly qualified researcher, he should know better. I hope that is just a short quote of something better that he wrote. There is no evidence that I can find what the therapeutic dose rate is in horses. It's possible that it is massively lower in horses than in humans. Tiny amounts of copper kill sheep. They can't eat any 'balanced' horse feed, for example.

I don't suppose it's worth anyone's while to spend money researching this, except turmeric sellers, so I guess we will never know.

pootleperkin

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with that statement - it is straightforward - if you want to give the same as an effective dose for humans, then scaling up for horses you would need 500g per day. Indeed, you are correct, there is no known dose for horses - it could well be that it is lower or higher than humans - the statement employs empiricism, so best known information, which is human dose. That's the whole problem with using turmeric for horses - nobody can categorically say if it is doing anything in horses at all, or what the effect is.

Bojingles

Visit site
The reason I feed it is sarcoids. My previous mare had small sarcoids under an armpit and had the most awful response to Liverpool cream. She had an open wound and was on box rest for 6 months. I thought I was going to lose her. In Spring I noticed a few sarcoids in the exact same place on my new mare. I was utterly horrified. Got the vet out and we agreed to keep an eye on them and reconvene in Autumn as they'd rather not treat over Summer. I upped her turmeric over Summer and when I clipped her I thought I'd have a really good look and get the vet out. Even after clipping I can't see or feel them. So I'll keep on feeding it :)