How long will a round bale last?

kymw90

Visit site
I've seen those bale houses for round bales so you can place one in the field and stick the house over. It then feeds the animals and keeps the whole thing dry.

Does anyone do this sort of thing and how long does it last between two horses? That includes access to some grass as well as the bale. Would be great to shift filling endless nets!!!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Depends on whether the two horses will eat til they pop or if they're the sort to eat what they want and wander off. My cob will eat til he pops for the first week or so of having ad lib anything and then settle afterwards so I'd say maybe two weeks for the first round bale if you're lucky and possibly a little longer for subsequent ones as they realise it isn't going to vanish before they've eaten it all! Of course you could have two huge great hungry all the time types and it'll be gone in a week though! It's only equivalent to putting roughly 10 normal bales in the field! ;)

Littlelegs

Visit site
A round bale is usually approx 10 small bales. If you ad-lib hay at the moment anyway, a large bale should last as long as 10 small bales netted up does.