How many bales of hay do you use?

cobface

Visit site
2 ponies and 1 horse - ponies around 1 bale per week, there very good doers and dont really need it.
Big mare - around 4/5 bales per week, ad lib at night and a bit during the day when shes out with ponies

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
About 20 small rectangular bales a month for one 14.2hh cob. Gosh, that seems a lot! That's including hay out in the field during the day and pretty much ad lib at night. She doesn't have any hard feed unless I'm intending to hunt and she's in harder work.

hussar

Visit site
2 Arabs, 1 donkey - it'll be about 120 small bales by the time this winter is over - I started feeding hay in November. They're out 24/7 and I feed almost ad lib but not quite as they're very good doers.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I use the large round bales of hay for my 6 horses and at the moment i'm getting through 3 per week. Mine (when the weather and land is fit
crazy.gif
) are out in the day and in at night.

Sarah1

Visit site
16.2hh WB x ID - small bales, prob bale per day this time of year when having to feed it in field too (field grazed all year, out 12 hrs a day), or large round bale lasts me approx 2 weeks or a big bale of haylage last 2 weeks but I share that with my Sister if we have to have it and she has 2 ponies approx 14.2hh.
I also have a little old Shetland mare who has the odd bit but is dentally challenged so really hay is just for her head!

muffinino

Visit site
On my previous yard I used 3 1/2 - 4 small bales a week to feed my 14.2 cob. Amount depended on what we did - eg, if we were hunting, he would probably get through 4 that week. This was just fed overnight, not in the field. He doesn't get much hard feed, though, just a handful of cherry chaff, 2 spoonfuls of sugar beet, a handful of Spillers conditioning cubes and a couple of carrots twice a day (unless we're hunting then he gets more the night before and for breakfast). Now I'm on a yard that includes hay in the price and he gets 2 haynets and an armful on the floor and pretty much eats it all.

tabithakat64

Visit site
One horse on box rest and one pony out at night in for 10 hours during the day = 20 bales a month.
Usually when both are out overnight I use 12 bales a month.

ever_hopeful

Visit site
One 16.1hh rising 3 yr old: Presently using 10 small bales a month. Mine's fed 1.5% of his bodyweight in hay at night. Which is about 8.5 kgs.

I previously fed him ad-lib hay; fed in a couple of small holed haylage nets, but now he's slowed up growing he needs to be rationed to keep his weight down. He's on decent winter grazing during the day and picks at his straw bed.

Last winter he was getting through around 5 1/2 bales per week, but was doing a lot of growing then.

nicnag

Visit site
Clearly I starve my two! They are 16.1 and 17hh, beeen stabled over night since November and I've used 9 5ft round bales in that time meaning that they are getting through a bale in roughly 10 days by my estimate, that included hay outside when we had snow cover. They are in a 35 acre field with a shetland and a welsh and seem to be doing great, look fit and well on it.