How Many BE100's & a good first time Novice in the North

Joss

Visit site
My OH is currently in flying form & doing lots of talking about upgrading to Novice. The horse is 7 years old & has now done 2 Intros & 3 PN's all clear XC. This is his record: http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/Events/Results.aspx?HorseId=80167&section=000100010002

Had in mind to go Novice at Auchinleck in July? But what about the Novice at Hutton? Was anyone there last year?

Horse is bold & scopey but some times over-jumps a little, probably more of an issue show jumping than XC. Any suggestions & how many BE 100's did you do before upgrading?

langside

Visit site
never rode hutton's novice so can't really comment other than it looked really nice

i havent been to auchinleck for prob 3years now but really enjoyed it - how it was then was started off nice attacking fences with long gallops 2nd half of cource was more skinnies/ combos i remember the 2nd water being big box, stride to water, jump out and then sharp left turn to another box and there was a corner to v which was quite difficult so maybe not the easiest 1st course unless its changed

id say hopetoun would be a nice 1st thats where were thinking of going as our 1st novice run this season (prob only doing 1 opn before) aske is on same weekend which is much nearer for me but we never seem to have any luck there for some reason?
blush.gif

kirkton

Visit site
I'd go to Oatridge. Sj is indoors and XC is more like a PN.

Course pics of Hutton on EWW, also Oatridge from 2007

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think my friend is planning on doing Richmond Novice as her first one as she thinks that is a nice one to start on
smile.gif

jumpingkanga

Visit site
I would recommend Richmond or Oatridge as a first Novice. Auchinleck is more of an old fashioned bold XC course, could be tough as first Novice. Oatridge was pretty easy last year though quite a long track. Though I havent been to Hutton at all. Atleast the SJ at Oatridge is indoors and it's on a surface at Richmond which can help. I have heard that Bishop Burton is a nice Novice XC course and the SJ is on a surface too. I was planning to go there as my horses first Novice but then he got an abcess so may have to pick a later one now.
It's hard to say how many BE100s you need to do before going Novice, it really depends on the horse and rider. If the rider walks a Novice track and feels confident then go for it!

Gamebird

Visit site
I've done Richmond as a first one with a couple of horses. The SJing course designer sometimes gets a bit carried away, but at least it's on a surface. Bishop is very straight forwards, again SJing on a surface. You're kind of a bit late for thoses two though!
wink.gif

I did the CIC* at Hutton last year which was basically the same track as the Intermediate. The novice looked considerably softer and it's a lovely event. Probably a bit closer for you too!

Joss

Visit site
Yep Richmond is too soon. Will defo run PN at Floors. Have looked into Bishop Burton but it would take hours & hours, prob 7 ish - so not quite keen enough.

Have looked at Hutton & I have done in Nov there a good couple of years ago. The only fences I thought asked a question were the brush - jump through thingy, how big is that log? He wouldnt have seen anything like that before. I also dont think the corner is a very kind one but there is a long route.

Have never heard good reports of the ground at Oatridge.

kirkton

Visit site
The ground at Oatridge is terrible, an absolute bl00dy disgrace for an agricultural college. However, for a first run you surely just want to hack round so not such a big deal if you take it slow down some of the hills and through the gateways etc? It's always OK before and after the jumps.

Joss

Visit site
Yup, thats exactly what I heard and no he wouldnt be trying to get the Novice time first go but I really dont think he would hack round. He has always gone XC in fairly forward way & jumps best like that & I would not like him to have to be pulling up to a steady canter because of the ground. Having to go through gateways kind of puts me off - sounds like a riding club hunter trial!!!

Anyway, can get Floors under our belt first. I guess there is no hurry to upgrade.

Gamebird

Visit site
The owl hole thingy jumped fine - my horse had never seen anything like it before and he was a fairly green 7yo at the time. The corner at the second last was a reasonable question, but you should have a feel for how your horse is going by then and there is an alternative. The PTP fence and the oxer at 12 both seemed big enough at the time, but I don't think they would so much now and the hanging log into the water had an alternative.

I'm not sure how far they got with redesigning the courses before the financial plug got pulled? Might have been some changes?

Others that have sprung to mind: Hexham - maybe just meaty enough? Hendersyde - Ian Stark designed and probably an 'upgrade' course. Aske is always lovely and rides well and Allerton is easy enough