How many dogs is "normal".... and how many are too many?

Carlosmum

Visit site
We have 3, one each. All different shapes & sizes and with varying degrees of manners. Sometimes 3 is 2 too many particularly when the lurcher & 7 mth puppy (Romanian immigrant) start playing in the sitting room. Little cocker spaniel stays well out of the way on her dad's lap whisper growling if they come too close!

Moobli

Visit site
Interesting question - "what is normal". Normal depends on your situation I suppose. I have three GSDs and a working sheepdog, my hubby currently has six working sheepdogs so between us we have ten dogs. That is a lot of dogs compared to most people but it is "our" normal as we need dogs for work as well as my companion/pets. We have had as many as 13 before but that included retired dogs (two now sadly gone) and pups coming into training. We live on a large sporting/agricultural estate with plenty of land for working and running the dogs and the majority of our dogs live in specially built kennels/runs. Ten dogs in a two up, two down in the centre of a city might seem less normal.

My personal ideal is probably one trained dog and a pup coming on, once the adult is starting to age. I like having a one to one relationship with my dogs and under which my breed seem to thrive. Not to mention training, travel, holidays etc are all easier with one dog.

Moobli

Visit site
I do admit MoC I am currently debating swapping my car - now I am horseless and dont need to tow it seems mad to have a Discovery, but then there is the question of which car will easily fit 4 pointy hounds! I've had 4 in a Renault Clio before but it was very snug

I recently swapped my Toyota Hilux truck for a Volvo XC70 Estate, going specifically for a car with off road ability (needed where I live) and enough boot space for two adult GSDs. My hubby has a Landrover Defender and we have had multiples in the back before.

Moobli

Visit site
We have 2, which suits us. We had 3 for a few weeks after Bo came and before we said goodbye to Aled. Having 2 much closer to age makes life a lot easier. Aled and Luna were being walked separately for quite a while as she needed far more exercise than he could cope with for the last few months. I also felt guilty taking her to the horses etc and leaving him at home to go out for a much shorter walk with OH.

Obviously, I would have been so happy to have 3 for much longer than we did, and if a 3rd desperately needed a home at some point in the future, and would fit in with these 2, then I wouldn’t hesitate.

I will say my life has become a lot easier going from 3 horses to 2, and not sure I would get a third again. Much as I miss my old boy, the reduction in work, as well as costs suits me.

So sorry to hear about Aled :( I have been away for too long. It's going to take me ages to catch up. You must take comfort from the fact you gave him a wonderful life in his twilight years x

Moobli

Visit site
I am interested that your whippets would dispatch a mixi rabbit Levrier. Neither my whippets nor lurchers would touch them.
Clodagh, I was out riding with my lurcher who set off after a muntjac. I found her standing on a track, no deer to be seen, but the whole of her back was ripped open looking like raw meat. It was hell getting her home. I thought she had ripped it on wire. When I told the vets , they thought she must have caught the muntjac by a back leg and it turned round and sunk it’s teeth in her. Apparently they have two very long jagged teeth. The vets did a brilliant job , so much stitching but she was broken coated so the scarring never showed.
I was always terrified of muntjac after that and my next dog was a Flatcoated Retriever that could be trained not to chase things!

The GSDs and collies here will quickly kill (and often eat) rabbits - some with myxi, some not.