How many dogs is too many!!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
We have 3 atm, 2 springers and a jrt. The springers are 8 & 9, slowing down, 1 with arthritis, but generally in good health, the little terrierist is 5. We have the option to buy a pup, a gundog and a breed that OH has always wanted, a breed I have had before and adored. We are in the perfect position to have a pup, I work mornings, OH works a later shift so dogs only have to be left alone for about an hour to 90 mins whilst I do horse in the evening. OH is saying go for it, Im just a little hesitant because we are both 50 although, touch wood, both fit and well, and had planned on going for a smaller breed next, not thinking the option for this particular breed would come up from someone we are happy to buy from. My main reservation is 4 dogs in a standard semi, decent garden though and on the edge of a village so plenty of off lead walking within 100 yards. The 3 we have, have never caused us any issues, all well behaved and sociable. Would you, or is it a ridiculous idea?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
We live in a two up two down terrace with a postage stamp garden and have just gone up to three; the big dogs being 10 and effectively retired from their sports, I would have gone stir crazy without #3 to take up their mantle. We frequently have two spaniels for holidays as well making five. It's fine as long as you don't need to get up for a wee in the night, as tiptoeing over five mostly black dogs in the dark is hard! :p

I know someone with nine in a semi and each and every one of those dogs is looked after better than most people's one.

planete

Visit site
Management is everything. If you can cope well with three, a fourth one should not present too big a problem. I live in a semi with a small yard/ garden and we have four dogs who are no trouble at all as long as we give them the exercise and stimulation they need. If you are healthy, age is not a problem, we are 60 and 71 years old. Admittedly our lives revolve around the dogs and training them not to pull has been essential as they often get walked together.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I always say ... might as well have 2 ... that's why you have 2 hands! 2 to 3 is the most difficult jump. At that point, you may as well have 4 to even things back up. Gets more tricky when you go up to 5. Anything after that, & you've lost it anyway! Some of our friends have about 40 .. i remembering asking how many dogs someone had & she said (seriously & with a straight face) "Just 25". Last time i asked her, she'd stopped counting around 40. You sound like the type of owner who could cope fine with 4. We have 5, hoping to go up to 6 when the right next dog/puppy comes along. Our limit was 4 BTW! :) xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had 8 here for several years, with rehomed dogs and a combination of 2 households but we won't be doing that again! My parents did have 5 Labs of varying ages in a more 'normal' suburban house, all kept from pups to old age.

I can't actually see much difference between having 3 and having 4, if you can meet their needs. And at 50 you should be able to plan to outlive the lot of them by decades!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have three, have had three in the past and then went to two, swore I wouldn't get a third but ..... oops.

I am tempted to get a t-shirt with "No I can manage thank you" on it, as every single person I meet out walking (and I am really not exaggerating) says "You have your hands full!!" as they go past. Given that the three of them walk in perfect formation, do not pull, stand out of the way of other people on narrow paths and don't get in a tangle and trip me up, I could probably add another couple to the arrangement (but I'm not going to).

Chiffy

Visit site
You are far too young to be worrying about the age factor in having another dog. I am much older than you and have three at the moment but often have my daughter’s two as well.
Going from three to four should be no bother, a pup learns a lot from older dogs too. You can also exercise two and two so a single dog is not left alone. I think the age gap makes it easy too, if you have two young ones, it can be a bit more tricky.
I recently took on a young rescue, she is about nine months now and my 18 month energetic flatcoat did rather resort to puppyhood with a young one to play with. Order is restored now!
Hope you go for it and have fun.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thanks guys, OH will be hugely cheered by all your replies. We are often complimented on how well our dogs behave when we are out walking, especially by runners and cyclists, our 3 are trained to the whistle and to the hand and will move to the side of the path if indicated to do so with a hand signal. They are kept as pets, none of them has a job to do but they are all happy and well adjusted, as I said the springers are slowing down now and dont need as much exercise as they once did. I mentioned this to OH who has responsibility for the big morning walk, he is happy to do a shorter walk with the 2 oldies and then a longer expedition with the new one and the terrier (once the pup is old enough obvs). My biggest concern was space tbh but sounds as if noone thinks thats a major issue, will give it some more thought

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
We have 3 atm, 2 springers and a jrt. The springers are 8 & 9, slowing down, 1 with arthritis, but generally in good health, the little terrierist is 5. We have the option to buy a pup, a gundog and a breed that OH has always wanted, a breed I have had before and adored. We are in the perfect position to have a pup, I work mornings, OH works a later shift so dogs only have to be left alone for about an hour to 90 mins whilst I do horse in the evening. OH is saying go for it, Im just a little hesitant because we are both 50 although, touch wood, both fit and well, and had planned on going for a smaller breed next, not thinking the option for this particular breed would come up from someone we are happy to buy from. My main reservation is 4 dogs in a standard semi, decent garden though and on the edge of a village so plenty of off lead walking within 100 yards. The 3 we have, have never caused us any issues, all well behaved and sociable. Would you, or is it a ridiculous idea?

For me it depends on the dynamics in your established group I.e temperaments, gender & age. I wouldn’t be concerned regarding size of garden (my dogs just crap & pee in my large garden😀) or house size as long as the dog(s) in question are getting sufficient mental/physical stimulation for their needs. I can’t have any boys, because my BT hates other males and I can’t be arsed with the aggravations. I think what is important to remember, though, it’s your home & if you want a puppy, all things considered, the others will have to get used to it.

Clodagh

Visit site
My OH told me we were never having more than two. Number four will hopefully be born in February!
Life is short - go for it! (And I don't mean you are too old at 50, God willing and a fair wind there is 40+ years in you yet.).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Your springers are calming down at 8 and 9? What's your trick?!

I'm on three, looking to be 2 before too long, big dog is finally failing. Dogs take up literally the space they're in, you could have 20 in a room. I agree with Blazingsaddles: stimulation is key. After a training session today, puss cat is snoring.

Go for it, I say. What breed?

I'm yearning for an English setter, but I'm not allowed and I'd be worried about leish 😞

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

pippixox

Visit site
We have two (a collie and lab) in a small two bed mid terrace. We used to have a big GSD in a one bed flat- he took up all the floor space by the sofa!
Won’t get another at the mo but that is because we also have a baby and a toddler who have toys and take up more space!

Home is just where they sleep really. Don’t need much room.

{97702}

Visit site
You can never have too many, as long as your finances and circumstances allow it :) I've had four greyhounds/lurchers for years now and I find it odd to have any less.... it was a bit snug when I lived in a mobile home mind you!

I have got permission to have five in my current rented house (2 bed OAP bungalow) but I have stopped short of adding a 5th simply because I don't want to cause any upset for my beautiful oldies

MyBoyChe

Visit site
CT, its an IWS. Ive had 2 before, 1 was a rescue, the other I had from a pup. When I met my OH Smurph was 5 and the 2 of them formed a strong bond, he was more upset than I was when we lost the old boy 5 years ago. He has always said he would like another and we have found a lovely litter within a reasonable distance to travel a pup home. Im just trying to be the sensible one for a change but you lot are not helping, the overwhelming majority say go for it. I can feel a naming thread coming on :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Attachments

• 1548713844245.jpeg
    1548713844245.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10

Oenoke

Visit site
I have 4 dogs, 3 pedigree Border Collies aged 13, nearly 9 and 4 and a Border Whippet 1 today, I find 4 dogs the perfect number, I have been up to 5 and I was ok, but 4 is more manageable and to me isn't any different to care for than 3. As to how many is a very dependant on you question though 1 person may find 1 dog perfect, another 2, some may be 4 like me or 5, I have a friend who has 17 dogs and they all get individual time and training, so for her that isn't too many.