How many have gone back from bitless to with bit?

Petalpoos

Visit site
Just wondering.... I rode my trakehner in a Dr Cook's bitless bridle for the first 3 years I had her as I had become uncomfortable about putting a chunk of metal in a horse's mouth. Not a bunny hugger, but just not sure about some of the things we do to horses. Anyway... but then she had a bit of an evil witch stage at 7, rearing and being generally obnoxious. I don't believe her behaviour was related to the bitless; there were a number of issues and I had her sorted out professionally and she's been fine ever since, but the trainer put her back in a bit so she could use a running martingale. I have not gone back to the bitless - partly because I like to have the martingale (security blanket, I know), partly because I would have to be a much better rider than I am to get her in an outline without a bit - but I occasionally feel guillty at giving up on the bit free route.

Anyone else gone back to a bit / stuck with the bitless? Just interested to know whether it is just a phase people gp through or whether most people stick with the bitless route.

Enfys

Visit site
I used a running martingale with the hackamore.

One mare I used a hackamore all the time for because she made it perfectly clear that she wasn't having a bit anywhere near her.

Another arab I used a hackamore (English, clunky style) for everything except hunting (myler LS combo then) He had no bitting problems, I have no hang ups about bitting or not, I actually just prefer it and saw no reason to bung something in his mouth if wasn't going to try to kill me. He knew that the hackamore was for home, the myler was for partying - and boy did he liked to party!

I ride my horses now in what they are most comfortable in, most go happily in curbs, the stallion hates bits so goes in a bosal and some of the others have a normal English style hackamore, never used a Dr Cook (I think they are ugly - sorry) but I have used a Scawbrig in the past - on a racehorse of all things, even on the gallops.

Enfys

Visit site
..never used a Dr Cook (I think they are ugly - sorry)../QUOTE] Ha ha! I also think the Dr Cook's look ugly but did not want to appear too shallow!

Oh, :D I don't mind appearing shallow at all, I just don't care saying what I think now, got to that magic GOW age you see! ;)

Just because I think they are ugly doesn't mean that they aren't effective for many horses, I know lots of people shudder at my western tack, horses for courses...

Piglet

Visit site
I use both, sometimes I ride out in a bit and other times I ride out in a Parelli halter, depends on what I fancy on the day and also what mood my boy is in and also what the weather is. Am not going to take him out in his halter if he is sharp or it is a windy day