How many horses did you go to view?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm just interested, when you were in the market for your new horse how many did you go to see before you settled on the one you bought?

How different was the horse you bought from the one you had in your mind when you went out searching (colour, height, sex, build etc)

Also how far away from home did you have to travel to find the horse you wanted?

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I travelled about 40 mins to view a coloured lady that a dealer had. She was a light hunter type, very smart, but the dealer said she wouldn't suit me, so she provided me with Dorey, a dapple grey mare.

before then, however, I had been to visit a black gelding 2 mins up the road, but he failed his vet.

My spec had been anything cobby, female and not black, so tbh I wasn't too keen on the gelding anyways, he was also kinda on the small side.

Thing is, whereas i might be a bit fussy about my horses, my mum buys the first thing she finds.

Apart from Dorey, we've never tried a horse before buying another one, ever. Every horse we've bought was the first view.

X

xspiralx

I've never tried more than one horse. I don't look for perfection because I like to improve my horses - so I look for something that can do the job I want.

Never really had a specific in mind for a horse, except Paris I wanted a confidence giving SJ - which is what she is.

She was about a 2 1/2 hour drive away in Kent

Bess

Visit site
The horse I have now I travelled about 4 hours to go to see him. He ticked every box that I had in mind, 15.2, age 8, gelding and grey (I've always especially liked greys) I was shown photos and a video and checked his competitive record. Went to see him, saw him tacked up, ridden and rode him myself, phoned their vets to check his vet history and agreed to buy him there and then. I arranged transport and he arrived about 3 days later. 18 months on I'm still delighted with him, he's a really nice horse all round.

The first two horses I had were already on the yard and were being sold on by girls going to University, so I knew the horses and their history. Between those horses and my current one I tried a few out at local dealers and our YO had a few brought in but for various reasons none were right.

jumbyjack

Visit site
Ten! All within 1 hours travel, I wanted 16.2 ish, bit of an allrounder and nice temperament and not too substaintial. Saw a lot of 'not remotely like what advert says' types and one who was far too good for me but superb! In the end I went back and bought the second one I saw and she's a gem, she was exactly what I had in mind but didn't really know it at the time!
grin.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Saw two before buying my new girl. First one was 170 miles away, one hand bigger than described and hadn't had her feet done in god knows how long and wouldn't go out through the gate. Second one was about 50 miles away, refused to have a bridle on and was lame. Decided to put a post on HHO and found my dream horse. Went 180 miles to see her, bought her there and then and she was delivered two days later. Couldn't be more perfect for me.
smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

calon

Visit site
when i am looking i always buy the first one i see that fits the bill if i like it even if its the first i have seen i will buy cant see the point in looking any further if the first one fits the bill

CastleMouse

Visit site
Castle was the only pony I viewed, and the first time I saw him I knew he was the one for me. I had him on trial for 3 weeks. We had to travel about 45 minutes. I was looking for a 13.2hh - 14.2hh pony who wasn't grey, and I Cass is grey and 12.3hh
grin.gif

Vey

Visit site
Living in a fairly remote area, I am resigned to travel. I went three hours to view one, and my chap was about two hours away. that time, he was the third I saw. I knew at once he was right for me, and got him.

I wanted a mare, and of course he wasn't - but he ticked every other box.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Otto was the first horse I went and saw, fell in love with him straight away. In hindsight I probably should have gone and looked at more, but hey we are doing ok. I didn’t really know what I was looking for to be honest, I just knew that I didn’t want a straight TB, didn’t have any particular colour or looks in mind. I travel about 20 miles (may have been even less) to find him. Just went to HorseMart, typed in under £3000 and Kent and he was the first one that popped up.

lordflynn

Visit site
I saw several-most of which were in Wales and I live in Edinburgh! so we had a frantic weekend looking round Section D studs. had 1 fail the vet and one that would've failed the vet (though that one was local). Started out looking for a Section D, then a Section D youngster and bought a Lusitano youngster.I always liked them but wasnt looking for one. He's the right height, not exactly the build I had in mind, not quite as weather proof
wink.gif
and was almost 10 hours drive away(in western most Wales). But he definitely had the temperament I was looking for. For a horse I hope to have for many years I wasnt worried about travel and it gave me excuses to go to Wales, which I love.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Lol, how far away could i get from my 'specifics'? !

I wanted a NF or similar 13.2hh -14.2hh gelding, no crossbreeds, preferably bay. That's for myself.
Then I wanted a pure sec A, dapple grey, gelding, good breeding, for my kids. The idea was for LR and FR.

Then Bayley came up. He's a 12hh iron grey NF x sec A gelding. He was the first one i saw, and my son and I fell in love with him. He needs breaking, and can't be affiliated as he's no breeding record what so ever. Anyway, I took him on, and after a saddle, bridle, rugs, equipment, etc etc i am penniless so buying something for me has to go on the back burner. But we wouldnt be without him.

seabiscuit

Visit site
I looked at literally, 70 plus horses before I found Owen ( and look where he has got me after 3.5 years- no-where!, LOL !)

Forrest I got from the sale of about 1500 horses. I looked at about 30 racing rejects and he was one of only two I wanted, all the others were cripples.

RobinHood

Visit site
I saw a couple of unsuitable horses when I was looking 2 years ago. Then an instructor came to teach at the yard and I mentioned to him that I was looking for a new horse. He said he knew of one... in Ireland... so off to Kilkenny we went and the rest is history
laugh.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ellie was the second i looked at, she is 15.3hh middleweight IDx, bay mare. she was 6 when i bought her. - travelled 30mins
the horse i looked at before her was a lightweight bay gelding, affiliated BSJA, 19 yrs old 15hh. - travelled 5 mins

Sarah xXx

Snowberry

Visit site
When we were looking for a 14.2 SJ pony for Becci we looked at over 40 ponies in all area's. I literally travelled miles and not one was as it was described
frown.gif
(Becci was very specific about what she wanted!!)
Then I saw ad in H&H, viewed pony about 3hours away. Arranged vetting and brought her home within 48hours!!
laugh.gif

When we bought the last pony it was the first one we looked at - although he wasnt really the stamp of pony we were looking for, had no papers, no record and was very green but he had a lovely kind eye and Hattie clicked with him straight away
laugh.gif

So very glad we bought him as he's proving to be a little star

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
In all the horses we've had, I have only ever been to view 1, she was a lineage ad in the FG, only 15mins down the road and I bought her. All the others have come to me
crazy.gif
. I do think that people get hung up on what colour and sex they want instead of will a horse do the job they have in mind. If you could see the Motley arrangements of beasts we have managed to do a bit with, nothing would be discounted. Ps the little mare I went to look at was sold last year cos the daughter didnt click with her but I had so much fun on a pony, at the age of 29.
grin.gif

ClareMc

Visit site
I looked at a few then went to a dealers yard to see what he had, he kept showing me this little grey mare and I kept saying no too small. I tried a bay mare which I quite liked and went back a week later with a friend by which time he sold the bay but bought the grey out again, I said no too small and tried a couple of others he had. Then he forced me to try the grey, still not keen, rode her was'nt sure. Then just went and stood in the stable with her and heard myself saying "I'll take her", still not sure why as I was'nt convinced but she is perfect for me and was just what I wanted. I think she decided not me.

Kelly1982

Visit site
With my first horse i must of looked at about 10 horses!!! I travelled a 10 hour round trip on one occassion and then ended up importing him from Holland
shocked.gif

With my second horse i tried out 2 horses and then ended up buying her from about 10mins down the road. I knew she was 'the one' as soon as i saw her
smile.gif

Hanz

Visit site
The first thing I do is decide what height range, disciplines i want to do with them etc then I go and see horses that sound suitable. The furthest I have travelled is about an hour to view a horse and the most I have ever viewd before settling for one is 14!
shocked.gif

When I got Scribbles though I went to a dealer to try an eventer, came back with the wild thing...best thing I ever did.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I didn't actually go and look at any. My darling girl found me. She turned up at a local riding School - I went down there on a couple of ocassions to see a friend, and spotted her. Had to have her - simple as that, and three weeks later I did.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I wasnt officially looking when I went to view my horse, I was saving money and window shopping on Horsemart at the time! He just looked just the kind of horse that I wanted and I HAD to go and view him, even though I couldnt really afford him. Glad I did go and see him though, got really good vibes from him and put down a deposit straight away! Previous to that, I went to see a mare last year who was a bit mareish, although was an angel when ridden. Glad I waited and bought my dream horse in the end!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have only ever turned down 2 horses. Otherwise Ive bought the first one Ive seen! But then, most of them were known through friends of friends so its not like I didnt know they were trustworthy.

I am always very open minded when I look for a horse. I dont go out with a set idea in mind, I dont care what colour it is etc. obviously I have little things like I tend to prefer geldings etc. but Id still look at mares etc. Id say my most recent horse probably turned out a bit lighter framed than Id wanted but thats about it.

Ive had 2 horses brought up to me from the other end of the UK, bought unseen (well from a DVD). Otherwise Id be prepared to travel anywhere in the UK if I really thought the horse I was going to see could be perfect.

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron was the first horse I looked at. I went and had a look as he was only a 30 min drive away, as soon as I saw him I fell in love. I rode him and he was exactly what I was looking for. I set out to buy a 16-16.3hh middleweight gelding that I could bring on a bit but knew all the basics, and that is exactly what I got
smile.gif

Malibu

Visit site
Before i got Malibu, i viewed approx 12 horses and i was pretty desperate so went to see Malibu after my trainer told me not too as he was a showjumper and probaly too frisky and strong for me! Went along and a course of 1.20, 1.30's was up ( i was only about 10) and was pretty scared as at the time i had a 12.3!!!! the rest is history as i just knew he was the one for me! Malibu was only 1.1/2 hours away.

Rupert, we travelled 7 hours, he was only the second horse i viewed in person, but watched about 10 videos and called a million people!

He fits my want list and every box is ticked!

katiejaye

Visit site
When I bought Louis I saw about 10 horses before him. I was especially careful as I had a bad experience with my previous horse. I had two horses on trial before Louis for a week and one turned out to be a nutcase and the other wasn't right for me. I travelled 2 hours to the furthest horse.

I had had a bad accident with my previous horse so I was looking for some around 10ish, quiet with some experience to help me learn on around 16hh. I went to see a horse just like this who was owned by a family friend, she was lovely but I just found her a bit too push button. Well in the stable next to her there was a scrawny 4 year old 15.3hh who had just come over from Ireland and I just fell in love with! I got on him, he was green, cheeky (had me off after 10 mins when a kid ran past!) but he just won me over...well I bought him and eight years later I still have him! We have learnt so much together and he is a horse in a million! He's really challenged me over the years but now we are a solid team!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
When I was in the market for a horse it was odd how many were advertised in the local paper being 15hh, grey, Connemara x thoroughbred I went to look at one, he reared up and fell over backwards when I tried to ride him. The second was the mare in my av. whom I bought. She behaved herself perfectly when I rode her at her former home, but a few weeks after I got her the cracks started to show - no breaks!!!
I eventually met someone who'd known her when she belonged to her previous owner and found out why she was so "mental" - previous owner's idea of a hack was to gallop along the road and her idea of schooling was see how long it took to stop her when she galloped across a field. She also got someone on a moped to chase the mare around the field to catch her (I could never catch her). And apparently never groomed her, so she was green from ears to hooves...

Pidge

Visit site
After losing Higgins to GS I was looking for a replacement, even looking at ones that were the spit imagewise of him, (17.2hh Bay WB/ID). Then a friend found a horse that ticked all my requirements, it was Pidge. Tried him out and didn't think he was big enough as he was seriously thin (about 450kg then - 16.3hh ISH in a 7ft rug now weighing 607kg) Still wasn't convinced so went back for a second try and bought him. Haven't looked back since, I think he's fab and wouldn't swap him for anything
grin.gif