How many horses did you try? Am I rushing this decision?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I started a search for a pony 2/3 weeks ago after losing my horse 18 months ago to colic. I've been riding for other people since then, including some problem horses and backing some kids ponies which I love but it's not the same as having your own. I really planned to spend a little while looking, getting a feel for what I wanted etc but on the 2nd one I've been to see I think I've fallen in love and I don't know if I'm rushing or if my heart just knows what it wants.

I've never actually tried a horse before, I've had various horses/ponies that have ended up in my life due to various issues and I've finally decided that I just want something lovely with nobody else's problems. I want to be able to choose what I want, not the other way round for the first time ever. It would be a forever home (obviously apart from exceptional circumstances happening) and for having fun with...clinics, fun rides, whp, maybe dressage, maybe some hunter trials, anything it enjoys.

The one I've been to see that I love is an unbacked 3 year old 13.2 (I'm small and not at all worried about the size) and I just loved his character, presence and attitude to life. It's had no other calls and I don't know if I'm missing something or it's overpriced (Covid has changed the market a lot since I last browsed horses for sale!) I don't think I will stop thinking about him but I'm second guessing myself and I don't know if I should try more out and get more of a feel for what I want or just go for it. I've tried one 13.1 ridden (wasn't for me) and then been to see him. I've only ever had horses I feel sorry for before, but I definitely don't feel sorry for him, he's living a great life!
Been around horses for many decades. Went to see one mare in Monmouthshire, new her needs, knew I could cope had her vetted failed

second ID mare I have now knew straight away I could cope.

Always bought the horse I wanted except mare above who failed vetting.

catembi

Visit site
On paper, mine ticked zero boxes apart from being a gelding, and I only went to see him because you have to start somewhere. My interest ramped up as soon as I saw the dealer riding him, and the second I got on him, I thought, 'you're my horse', and that was that. I love him so much.

Kaylum

Visit site
'when my friend was looking so many people messaged her including some dealers that came highly recommended. The dealer horses were pretty rubbish taking a chance for 10k that someone would buy them, one dished, one was very skinny, one was lame, none of them fit enough to do a job they were advertised at for 10k. These were different dealers btw.
She then went to look at one that was on sales livery the owner had had a bad fall and the sales livery wouldnt get on first.
Time wasters.
One she was going to buy she had repeated asked if it had been injured and they said no, was on the day before vetting she looked through the facebook profile of the person selling and seen it had had a bad injury a few months ago. Another lie another time waster.

Birker2020

Visit site
I gave a dealer a detailed description of what horse I wanted, height, colour, sex, markings.

When he rang me to say my horse had arrived from Holland way back in 2004 I can remember jokingly scolding him and saying I had never agreed to buying any horse off him! I saw the horse on the Thursday and fell in love, tried on the Saturday and Sunday, vetted on the Tuesday and brought it home that Thursday, exactly one week and six hours later! And she was with me for 17 years. She was the second I'd looked at.

The previous horse was the first I'd seen, the one before that the first and the one before that the second.
Like someone said, if you like what you see you shouldn't worry if its the first one or the tenth one. As long as you don't rush into things its fine.

First Frost

Visit site
The last 3 have been the first I have looked at. However I buy 3 year old Connie's or Connie X's. I usually know their breeding and have seen photo's and video before I go to look. Of the last 3, one I have had 14 years, he is my horse of a lifetime. One I sold after 5 years to a friend (he still lives with me) because he was a little steady for me but perfect for her. The 3rd I have had 2.5 years, he is a super horse and will slowly replace my older boy.

I think buying young horses is a bit easier, although you have to realise that they might not turn out as you expect!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Buy the one you don't want to get off!! I was all up for buying the first I saw this time around. Luckily my sensible head kicked in and I went back to try her again. First time fantastic, second time absolutely evil and dangerous. Definitely consider the first one if you like it but maybe try it twice at least. Good luck

Puzzled

Visit site
I deal in Connemaras and have a lot of 3 yr olds. I obviously like them all or wouldn’t buy them but I definitely have some I just love more than others (and would like to keep) even at that age. Not sure what it is but just have that gut feeling!

HorseMaid

Visit site
I think my mare was the 4th or 5th I tried. Before her one was lame, one was ridiculously obese, one kicked me and had a sarcoid the size of a tennis ball by his sheath that the owners tried to say they'd never noticed (yeah right!). On the day I bought her I knew I was buying a horse. The guy selling had two for sale, both mares. The other mare behaved better and was further along in her education, and slightly bigger. My now mare would NOT walk and kept doing these ridiculous skippy bunny hops as we went up the lane. Nowhere to canter her whilst trying her. But I loved her and we loaded her up and took her home, 4.5 years ago now and I wouldn't change her, ridiculous spooky bat that she is!