How many hours turnout?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Summer (1stmay to 1st nov) as much as we want......

Winter abou 12 hours max, in the snow about 5 hours and if it's torrentual rain for weeks on end we have restricted to about and hour aday or if needed kept in for a week or two to rest feilds.....but the school, lunge pen are in with livery and we have miles of both off road and road hacking.
X

noodle_

Visit site
wish she was out 24/7/365, however round here its virtually impossible unless you want a horse with barbed wire... (no thanks)!

mine gets around 8 hours a day give or take - but she goes out EVERY day regardless of the weather :)

in winter/ice she will get an hour as she hates being out - but she will be on a nice level fenced off area :)

amandap

Visit site
Mine have 24/7 turnout but in a huge, varied yard. :D Some have field turnout when weather (cold not wet) and season permits.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Summer in for about six hours from ten am
Winter out at some point during day for about four hours Out about seven if on a non work day.
Some fiddling around spring and autumn during charge over time .
Never ever in the field for a full 24 hours .

PolarSkye

Visit site
Another vote for as much as possible . . . he goes out even if it's snowing - but not for long as the ice balls up in his feet. Goes out in all other weather too . . . even if it's just for an hour or two (he does have a tendency to be a bit of a nutcase when it's miserable).

So . . . in the winter he goes out from about 8 until about 3 . . . in the summer he stays out longer - 'til about 5'ish.

P

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 whenever the field isn't trashed by them being out. If it's dry or snowy or frozen, they're out. Current sea of mud means they're only out for about 8 hours a day, but that's only been for a couple of weeks (and it's got to dry up soon, right?)

catkin

Visit site
Depends on the weather rather than the calendar date, and whatever management regime they need, though a rule of thumb would be daylight hours all year round minus their working time - they are ridden most mornings. Not yet had one that didn't like to come in for part of the time - some of the supposedly 'hardier' breeds we've had over the years have been the keenest to have 'stable time' (and lots of it!).

Not to everyone's taste I know, but it works for us, and our microclimate and facilities.