How many of us are truly happy at our livery yards??

dapplepink

Visit site
As above really!!

I know there is never going to be a perfect yard and there are always little niggles but just starting feel that those little niggles are turning into a huge one now! Going to look at other yards this weekend, part of me is just thinking I should shut up and get on with it as my horse is happy there and it's his home not mine!
Just wondering what others think of their yards and if their niggles are enough to put up with!!

JenJ

Visit site
I am :)

Although it's obviously important that your horse is happy, I think it's as important that you are too. Horses generally consume a lot of our hard earned wages, and if you're not happy in the environment where you spend time with him, then it's a bit of a waste.

rhino

Visit site
This will sound like gloating but I'm blissfully happy at my yard, been here about 18 months now and the people are lovely, the horses are lovely, the hacking is heavenly... No yard politics, an experienced YO who will help if asked but not interfere otherwise. When my little ginger horse suffered a serious injury and was on box rest I was practically forced onto the YO's horse and sent out hacking! :D

I have been at a few yards before though so appreciate this one even more! The good yards are out there...

attheponies

Visit site
Me! Good stabling & reasonable turnout, sensible, friendly liveries & a YO who is decent and happy to let us run ourselves unless there is a problem. A couple of (small) sand schools and off road hacking with just occasional annoyances such as game shooting but hey, nowhere's perfect!

Flame_

Visit site
I am. At some point (hopefully not for years) OHs work will mean us relocating and the thought of trying to find another livery yard as perfect to me as the one I'm at is, just fills me with doom. Moving yards is like buying a horse, there are only so many times you can look and so many questions you can ask before you take the leap and take your chances, then find out over the next few weeks if you have done the right thing or made a massive mistake.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I do like my yard on the whole. But for me, you cant beat having horses on your own land. We used to have our own land and I dream to one day have that again. So I suppose I am not truly happy at my yard, but pretty happy there if that makes sense, best livery yard I have been on though :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm not on a livery yard, but my private rent micro-yard / fields with stables is perfect :D Well, it would be perfect if it were twice as big and had a school, but then I couldn't afford it, so it's practically perfect in everyway :D

Even tonight, I'm so annoyed for complicated trailer related reasons, I still found myself pointing out how spectacular it is that the water trough feeder's not frozen / complimenting aspects of the yard :D

dapplepink

Visit site
Ahh your all making me jealous now!! Think I'm doing the right thing having a look around then, it's just making me not want to spend as much time there as can't be doing with some of the people/politics and although my boy is happy, I'm not which I guess will start having a knock on effect to him!
Oh if only he was a little Shetland that could live in my back garden!! Don't think a 17.3 h/w would fit in it tho!!

Topstripe

Visit site
I am fairly happy at mine but there is always a bit of tension winter time due to us all being in the yard at the same time..much nicer in summer when most of horses living out cos yard nice and quiet and relaxed.

Annoying thing for me is I have 2 acres, O/D school and 4 stables at home so could easily take my horse home however I live on a busy A road (o/D school is next to this road) and since I have a youngster feel that he may not like the morrisons lorries whizzing past when schooling or hacking out along the road. So waiting until he is old enough and seen enough of the world before taking him home - I cant wait to see his head over my stable door!!!

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Me! Moved in October and love the place. Mad stressed horse is now chilled happy horse and I'm tons less stressed too. Nothing is ever a crisis here, and we all help one another. It's not perfect, but it feels like home to her, and me...

katie_southwest

Visit site
The one thing I wish for is 24/7 grazing in summer, we dont have it at all any time of the year.
Apart from that we have an indoor school, nice barn, and great hacking.
I think most of us have to sacrifice something...although maybe one day I will find a perfect place :)

Tilda

Visit site
I love love love my livery yard. The stables are lovely and big, the hacking is fab, the other liveries are all lovely but most of all the yard managers are lovely knowledgeable, helpful people who are flexible with things like individual turnout but run a tight ship. If I had been on this yard when I first bought my old horse I truly believe things would have worked out very differently and I would still have her. It's probably the most expensive yard around but sooo worth it! :)

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Me. I love my yard been there 2 1/2 years. Lovely small, friendly, adults only yard. Loads of grazing, excellent hacking, fences are good, water, electric. Any problems addressed immediately. No yard politics, things going missing etc. Only small issue it is very quiet and sometimes I wish there were more people to hack out with.

monikirk

Visit site
We were all extremely happy at our yard - but the owner of the stables left his wife and moved his gold digger girlfriend in. A crosscountry course was built with Lucinda Green turning up for the day! Out door school had new surface, stables built in barn for girlfriend. BUT she was so rude, either very calculating or thick we couldn't make up our minds! Life at yard has deteriorated so much we are all going. Most of us are rehomed at a good friends yard - which is beautiful but has no sch. Hope to use one in the village once we have settled in. Life is never as it seems!

ecrozier

Visit site
I am 95% happy. People are lovely, horses very happy. Hacking is pretty rubbish which is the one thing that would drive me away one day I think. Can't really hack between 7.30-9.30 am or 3.30-6.30 pm as main road outside is just too busy and even having been on that road there isn't really any off road riding to go to within easy distance. The school is also quite small (36x16) and the surface freezes very easily and gets very deep in summer. I will stay out for now as the people make it worth putting up with the minor niggles and there is no where better in reasonable reach but always have ear open for any new yards etc.

RubysGold

Visit site
I am :)
Sometimes you dont know what youve got until its gone.
I was on this yard for 18 months, I moved because I wanted a place with an arena.
After being on 3 other yards within 2 years, I moved back to this one, Ive realised an arena isnt the be all and end all, and now Im blissfully happy at this yard :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
We are and have been there since 2007. We have the odd up and down, but that people for you, but on the whole we would not wish to move. The only negative I think is the long hike back to the yard uphill after turning out in the summer grazing, but I just remind myself its good for the diet.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I don't think il ever be completely happy until I have a yard of my own to keep super clean and have my own rules ;) But atm im happy enough at a little private yard which we moved to 3 weeks ago. I don't really bother with the other liveries, I just keep myself to myself, there up at different times of the day so I rarely see them!! The only down side is no winter TO :(

Ashleigh_

Visit site
I am :D

I have a fantastic yard at home too, but since moving to university I couldn't have found myself a better place. It's so lovely up there, and everyone has helped myself and Ronnie settle in so well. It's like having another family :)

Syrah

Visit site
I am :) Only been there a couple of months but can't see us leaving of our own accord.

Hacking is great, only a few feet away from a bridlepath but with good road work if you want, school, walker, warm wash area, solarium, barn style stables, great storage for everything, great YO and YM, horse is happy, chilled and behaving herself, I'm happy chilled and behaving myself :p

Enfys

Visit site
I am.

I love mine especially now that I got rid of the 'rotten apple in the barrel' owner that was upsetting everyone.

russianhorse

Visit site
I was at my last yard :D I loved it there - Only left there because we moved away

Although I like where I am now, the only downside is that he is on his own.....and we have no one to ride out with, so its a little lonely :eek:

orionstar

Visit site
I've been there 20 years, so it speaks for itself, and now I have a new stable and arena I'm like a pig in muck, but I would have still been there riding around setting someones security light off in a field, in the old brick built version:D

dumpling

Visit site
Me. It's strange. I was wandering around the yard and just thought it was blissful. I can't say I have any major niggles with it. I'm happy :)

bumblelion

Visit site
We're moving in the next few months and iv made the decision to move the horses from home back into livery! Found a fab yard, amazing facilities including a few maneges, one being 90x45! Gallop track, xc course, 14km private off road hacking, solarium, mechanical horse! You name it, it's got it! Plus plenty of turnout and winter woodchip turnout for really bad weather. Everyone seems lovely too! However, they'll be on full livery (which does actually work out cheaper per month than having him at home) but I will miss them so much!! Don't get me wrong, I'll still go daily to ride/groom etc, so will actually get more time spent with them than mucking out but will be very strange!

Snowysadude

Visit site
I am, lovely people, lovely yard :). The only thing that would make it better would be if they drop the price ;). Oh and an indoor school..... Joking of course!!

Seriously though I love it, its not bitchy and has good grazing/floodlit school and my boy has a large stable so that makes me one happy person!