How many of us buy horses by accident?!

katie_southwest

Visit site
Ok maybe not by accident...but when we're not planning/expecting to?!
I came across an advert for a sweet gypsy cob rising 3 yr old gelding the other day.
Dont need / can't afford/ not prepared for etc etc another horse...but just something about him makes me want to get him!!
I think I'll be sensible this time and not do it :( :( :(
But how often do we end up with horses/ponies we are not planning?!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well, I wasn't looking for a horse but I was told about a little arab gelding that was looking for a home... I resisted for ages... then I weakened (mainly due to encouragement from the terrible lot on here :p) and bought him.

Big Ben

Visit site
I wasn't horse shopping at all when I bought Emmy, was just grazing the ads, as you do:eek:, clicked on a pedigree link and realized I was looking at a daughter of my mare Ace, so I had to go and see her, and then I HAD to buy her, seriously the only time I have cried when I saw a horse, she was so much like a younger version of her Momma.

Haven't not been intending buying one, I certainly didn't want the other mare she was trying to sell, not my type, physically mentally or any other thing, no way. So how that came to be, well OK I'll take her for a couple of weeks and if she doesn't work out I'll be up this way soon and I can drop her back. Then it was OK I'll keep her, but as I wasn't shopping for 1 let alone 2 I can't pay you for a few months.....To, I have a feeling that I would really struggle to let her go again now:D

I didn't actually mean to buy Cody either, but couldn't pass him buy, he needed to come home with me:eek:

But that is only 3, pales into insignificance when you consider how much tack I have accidentally acquired over the years:D

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mine wasn't accidental, I was pony hunting, she just didn't match the type I was viewing. And a lot of the projects I had were accidental I suppose, in that I rarely actually looked.
Daughters pony was a complete unplanned accidental purchase. I spotted her out walking the dog, bought her there & then & brought her home in the back of a van (tiny pony foal) with absolutely no purpose in mind except sympathy & removing her from her nasty little existence. I wasn't even in the process of pony hunting for daughter, & if I had been, buying a tiny wild foal in bad health with mental issues wouldn't have been my choice. Daughter was 3 at the time, & certainly she didn't feature in any thoughts I had for the ponys future. Tbh, I actually thought it likely I'd have to have the hunt out next day, & I hadn't even seen her in the light till I got her home. Still, 4 & 1/2 yrs later, I think I could have spent a fortune & months searching, & not have found a pony more suited to my child. She's not a perfect child's pony, but she's perfect for my child, they just match so well. It's funny to think that the foal I thought I was taking home for its first night with food, shelter & company before putting out of its misery, will be here for life, hopefully the next 30+yrs.

Burmilla

Visit site
I was idly looking on a horse forum two and a half years ago, had one spoilt horse, certainly wasnt looking for another. Saw post about horribly neglected horse being advertised on Gumtree, clicked the link, saw the sorry, hopeless looking animal being held on a bit of binder twine by a rough looking bloke. Rang said bloke and bought horse over the phone twenty minutes later - from Belfast! I'm in SE England! Horse arrived two weeks after that, shipped over by previous owner, and looking at death's door. Now, fabulously fit and looks the extremely well bred performance horse that he is. Took loads of money, time, patience etc to get ther, but all worth it.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
Me all the time we have a big herd bring on a few to sell but it only takes the slightest thing and before I know it I have bought another even when I have decided I will not be swayed.

My dad goes mad even though I am 40 lol and I pay for it all myself and he has several of his own I blame him for bringing me up in this way , funny thing is that all seem to turn out to be fab horses and that only encourages me more.:eek: I am always amazed when people post on here saying they cannot find a horse to buy :eek: really I can find loads.
In fact we have just been discussing a tbx hanno that we have been offered that we do not really need but he is nice and needs tlc and a good home.
I will get help soon.:eek:

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Me.

Went to an Exmoor pony sale on the moors with a friend from this forum.

Deliberately only took a few quid with me ('cos I know what I'm like).

Canny Exmoor farmers make sure the only way you can get to the auction ring is through the 'refreshments' tent.

Entered 'refreshments' tent.

Exited 'refreshments tent an hour later, slightly cross eyed but thoroughly refreshed from sampling rough Exmoor cider.

Discovered strange side effect of cider is that it makes your arm go up and wave at the auctioneer...how odd.

Oh. Whoops.

Seemed to have bought a completely wild colt straight off the moors....

Highlands

Visit site
Got 2 for three!

Next doors nice gypsy cob foaled, unexpected! Mare in dreadful state, foal nearly drowns.... After a lot if problems I buy all three.

Pony is now sold, foal is a strapping 3 year old and has a wonderful home and the mare is still with me.... She was not meant to stay.... But she has been great as my highland is now sound after lameness but daisy will stay. She has earnt her place and we have gained her trust.

Archangel

Visit site
Ok maybe not by accident...but when we're not planning/expecting to?!
I came across an advert for a sweet gypsy cob rising 3 yr old gelding the other day.
Dont need / can't afford/ not prepared for etc etc another horse...but just something about him makes me want to get him!!
I think I'll be sensible this time and not do it :( :( :(
But how often do we end up with horses/ponies we are not planning?!

This is me at the moment. :eek: One little chap has caught my eye. He is too small, I do not want or need another horse, I am injured so it would be a struggle and I would have to rehome him later in the summer. But, this little lad is on the downward spiral. He left his breeder 2 years ago as unshown and unspoilt, an absolute delight. Now no one gives a flying fig. I think about him every night when I do my horses.

So sad when horses lose their safety net.

Gala - that is so funny :D:D:D - you wouldn't like another one would you? *holds out a beer* :cool:

mel_s

Visit site
The last 3 i have bought i have not been looking, just stumbled across them and somehow justified that it was ok to have them if i wanted them!

PandorasJar

Visit site
Only one of our 6 was chosen.
And even then I was looking for the complete opposite of her and at a different horse at the time, happened to swing by her field on the way back in.... whoops!

StormyMoments

Visit site
thats what happened with Rio :eek: we weren't looking for another horse... couldnt really afford another and didnt really have the time for another but then we were in spain and spotted him, thought he was nice and then found out he was for sale. Out of curiostity went and viewed him and were offered him for a third of his asking price and his owner would pay for his vetting, blood tests, health check etc. He has been offered more than his asking price for him but refused to sell him to them because they werent very nice, he had over 30 viewings and all of them offered either on or above his asking price but he offered him to us for a third of it because he wanted us to have him. Came back from spain arranged transport etc and 2 months later at 5.30am he was dropped off on the side of a main road and we walked him 2 miles home... and here we are today :eek: whoops

Fools Motto

Visit site
Went to the local tack shop with two saddles and a few other items to SELL in their second hand department.
Saw an advert on the classified wall section. Filly foal, NF born 1/4/10 strawberry roan...
Well she isn't strawberry roan, but her birth date made me take down the number (my mare was foaled the same date 14 years previously) and when I got home phoned, arranged to see her and, well as most people know, once you have seen a cute fluffy foalie, you can't say no! She is rising 3 now, and although the original plan was to sell once she was broken, and had done some 'fun' stuff, I can't say for certain if that will happen!!

When we saw her;
171291e9-5027-4f2d-ba62-5a90345b5f4e_zps612a6824.jpg

Last summer;
2012-09-15180258.jpg

A few weeks ago;
2012-12-01122726_zpsb89bfffb.jpg

BBH

Visit site
Me.

I didn't plan to buy a Sec A weanling at all as I can't do anything useful with him but someone bought another from a breeder who was desperate to get rid and offered a buy one get both a lot cheaper if you buy two and he was basically just delivered to me without being asked.

Having said that he is now rising 4 and isn't remotely bothered about not going hunting shooting fishing & partying and is happy as larry.

Lawn mower man :D

Visit site
i went to look at a friends new horse on new yard...

The next day I appeared to have the horse in the stable next door on full loan?!

How do these things happen?!

Mythical

Visit site
I wasn't looking for a share when I spotted Grace on Preloved. Decided to text on a whim. Went to view her and couldn't stop myself from there. A few months later her owner lost interest and now I have her all to myself.

I only stated riding again three months before I spotted her, and that was on a whim too!! (Not that I'm impulsive or anything but I think I might go and dye my hair green, k thx bai!)

sandi_84

Visit site
Me sort of!
After months of my mum and sister banging on that I should get a horse too and me telling them it would be ridiculous to buy a horse whilst jobless they got our old YO in on the conspiracy ;) She found me my Loki and he was perfect for me! I ended up getting a job just before I bought him luckily but I nearly convinced myself I couldn't afford to keep him properly. Mum offered me loads of financial help as did my big sis but it turned out I was able to afford him easily on working livery.
Now I find myself jobless again but we've moved to a field and it costs about half what it was costing me before so even though mum is helping me out at the moment paying for his upkeep (which she'll get back regardless of what she says! ;)) but when I get a new job I'll again easily be able to afford his upkeep plus a bit extra for driving lessons etc for me :D
Now I have him I can't imagine being without him because he is my horse in a million :D

Jewkes

Visit site
Mine wasn't accidental, I was pony hunting, she just didn't match the type I was viewing. And a lot of the projects I had were accidental I suppose, in that I rarely actually looked.
Daughters pony was a complete unplanned accidental purchase. I spotted her out walking the dog, bought her there & then & brought her home in the back of a van (tiny pony foal) with absolutely no purpose in mind except sympathy & removing her from her nasty little existence. I wasn't even in the process of pony hunting for daughter, & if I had been, buying a tiny wild foal in bad health with mental issues wouldn't have been my choice. Daughter was 3 at the time, & certainly she didn't feature in any thoughts I had for the ponys future. Tbh, I actually thought it likely I'd have to have the hunt out next day, & I hadn't even seen her in the light till I got her home. Still, 4 & 1/2 yrs later, I think I could have spent a fortune & months searching, & not have found a pony more suited to my child. She's not a perfect child's pony, but she's perfect for my child, they just match so well. It's funny to think that the foal I thought I was taking home for its first night with food, shelter & company before putting out of its misery, will be here for life, hopefully the next 30+yrs.

I would love to see some pictures :)

I aquired a pony as a kid.. My mate basically said I've got 2 ponies and this ones for you! Certainly not planned! Basically I know she wanted someone to hack with. Was a fun time.

Visit site
Heard about a warmblood that was going to be shot because the owner didnt want it back from the loanee ! I went to look at him, took him on and had him for 9 years. Best horse I ever had!