How many of you can hear traffic noise where you live?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I sometimes think that blissful silence that is rudely broken by a car roaring round the lanes at top speed is worse that the steady hum of distant traffic.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Don't hear it at home, sometimes the odd train if the wind is in the right direction or it's a quiet day. Yard is a different story as it's at the side of the M25! I'm hoping that the fact that my lads field is overlooking the motorway will help traffic proof him a bit more with the larger traffic :)

mirage

Visit site
Nothing but sheep and birds here,plus the occasional tractor.Nearest A road is 6 miles away and there are less than 40 houses here,so very quiet.Can hear the trains 6 miles away when the wind is in the right direction.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The downside of living somewhere so quiet and dark is that you end up a really light sleeper if you move somewhere busier. I barely slept for the first month when I left here and went to college, living on a busy road with streetlights. The other downside is guests are very often terrified of the dark and can't find the way to the loo in the night etc.

nostromo70

Visit site
I live half a mile from any road. So hear very little road noise, i hear the whistling from the steam trains more often than the traffic.

EffyCorsten

Visit site
The downside of living somewhere so quiet and dark is that you end up a really light sleeper if you move somewhere busier. I barely slept for the first month when I left here and went to college, living on a busy road with streetlights. The other downside is guests are very often terrified of the dark and can't find the way to the loo in the night etc.

I can't sleep unless it's ' rural dark' and quiet so I hate visiting towns and cities too loud too bright and not enough green!

Orangehorse

Visit site
We have a longish drive to the lane, but I can hear traffic going up and down the lane, although it isn't very busy. I can recognise our tractors from a good way off! We also have a railway line about half a mile away, but it depends on what the weather/atmosphere is like as to whether we can hear it or not; it is quite a busy line. We can hear the main road sometimes about the same distance away, but there is no constant noise.

Just heard a train go past!

We went on holiday to Anglsey once and it was completeley quiet, no noise at all - no dog barking, sheep bleating, cow mooing or even any birds. It was very weird.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have hardly any traffic, and in general very little agricultural traffic. We live on a lane that turns into a bridleway, so its just the neighbours (about 20 houses) from the lane that use it. It is busy at schoolrun/going to or returning from work time, otherwise there is no traffic. Its very quiet and pitch black. There is an A road two fields away, but you don't hear much. Strangely, on nights when the ground is hard frozen you can sometimes hear the traffic on the M62, which is about ten miles away across the moors as the crow flies, and behind a hill.

We can hear the M62 when the wind is in the right direction. We are about a mile away but above the motorway and over the hill. We can also hear the Leeds/Manchester train hoot as it goes through the signal about 2 miles away. We can hear emergency vehicles at the bottom of the valley. I think the reason we can hear so much is that we are above it all. Our hamlet is actually very quiet and we are at the end of a cul-de-sac, so very little traffic, except aircraft.

There is quite a lot of farm machinery and the hunt kennels are very noisy. It is a rare weekend when you can't hear power tools all around!

Last edited:

Patchworkpony

Visit site
How much do you think that noise affects us, even if we think we have blocked it out? Science has recently proved that the stress of living near a busy noisy road or airport can increase blood pressure and even damage the heart. There are so few really peaceful places left in Britain now - our great grand parents were so lucky in many ways. The horse drawn age may have many drawbacks and lacked our modern advantages but it was certainly a lot more peaceful than these days!

xTrooperx

Visit site
Traffic? What traffic :0) not a single car not even any street lights here etc.. Family actually complain its to quiet & dark.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
How much do you think that noise affects us, even if we think we have blocked it out? Science has recently proved that the stress of living near a busy noisy road or airport can increase blood pressure and even damage the heart. There are so few really peaceful places left in Britain now - our great grand parents were so lucky in many ways. The horse drawn age may have many drawbacks and lacked our modern advantages but it was certainly a lot more peaceful than these days!

I can name one quiet place where the only noise you hear is the sea and it's so relaxing. Sometimes you forget that there is another world lol

star26

Visit site
I live in a quiet rural area, down a lane, accessed by another lane! I don't hear much traffic, if I do, it's usually from land rovers/tractors/quad bikes going past. It's pitch black round here at night too (no street lights), but I like it like that- I can see all the stars on a clear night.
The most noisy thing round here are the pheasants- they can make a right racket! Lol

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I live in a large village by the sea. If it is still I can hear the sea to the south, sometimes a train on the railway to the North and the odd motorbike wizzing along. Not much traffic actually come past my house though as the sea prevents through traffic.

At the yard you can hear low roar of the cars on the dual-carriageway which is quite close.

Montyforever

Visit site
Live right next to the motorway, with the eurostar tracks in between us so yep pretty noisy but its more of a background noise. The noisy neighbour is far worse! Yard is out in the middle of nowhere only hear the odd car :)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I can't hear anything at night. Can't see any other houses apart from a few twinkles on hills miles away. The only noise we get is the cattle bellowing as a neighbour breeds bulls, and also we get light aircraft as our valley has Euro glider height record. But they are fine, the only ones that annoy me are the lawnmowers motor sounding powered gliders which wind me up with their buzzzzzzzz.
oh and if the winds in the right direction I can occasionally hear the local coal merchant tipping the coal onto the stockpile.

Actually, the wind is the thing that keeps me awake more than anything else, I'm a light sleeper and it howls and crashes round the house.

When living in towns I found predictable noise like traffic or train much easier to get used to than unpredictable or threatening noise eg shouting or arguing drunk people.