How many of you give your horse(s) a holiday?

Would you recomend grazing muzzles?

• Total voters

Sal_E

Visit site
Just wondering really. Not talking about horses in hard work (racers, 'proper' eventers etc), but just average horses.

Assuming it hasn't had an enforced break during the year...

I_A_P

Visit site
im giving my mare all of decmeber off
smile.gif

thin its good for them to have chillout time, but then not too long so they r suprised when u get back on!!

kerrylou123

Visit site
I put other for both, as my horses have the majority of winter off, with exception to any days i have off work, and weekends if weather isnt too bad. I dont have a school, therefore find it difficult to ride in the fields as they get very muddy, and wouldnt dare hack of a night time in the dark!

I_A_P

Visit site
yer im same as u kerry, im wishing for a school!!

i only ride at weekends if the weather isnt horrendous!

RunToEarth

Visit site
My mare has winter off now as she isn't hunting, and willow also has winter off, because I don't have time for him
blush.gif

But Oshka doesn't get too longer time off, neither do the others I ride, perhaps 2weeks out of a season or something...

TGM

Visit site
I put no - there are normally enough things that go wrong to give them an enforced rest without having to give them an additional holiday!

jess_asterix

Visit site
mine never stop work completely they may have 4/5 days off every couple of months but i try not to give them too much time off when not needed as i may go on holiday which means a week off so it all adds up in the end.

But they do have a break from competing every so often, usually at the end of the outdoor season.

S_N

Visit site
B will get at least a months holiday once she's been weaned! She's been working hard now for *counts on fingers* 19 months. From conception to weaning, so she will have a holiday, then I will start playing with ground work with her, whilst I decide whether to breed from her again or loan her for a year *sobs*

Chex

Visit site
I used to give him a few months off over winter, but since his arthritis has got worse, he's too be worked regularly, so not much time off!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
As he competes a lot (and is now just starting affiliated) i tend to plan to give 2weeks off september time and bring back in october, then 2weeks over christmas i just hack with no schooling or competitions to give his brain a mental rest before getting him fit for eventing season.

pottamus

Visit site
No I keep my boy ticking over all year, even if I only get to hack him out 3 times a week in winter if the weather is bad. What a mean mother!
But he has the occasional week off if I am on holiday or we have snow etc...but he gets a bit bored and likes to go out and about to be honest. Mentally he is happier going out for a hack on a regular basis.

bellgave

Visit site
I give my horses an annual break, and also a few mini ones during the year too!!!
Harder to do so with the babies, but the big boys all get some down time. Infact any older show horses I have had tend to get roughed off after HOYS and dont come back into work untill late January.