How many of you hunt your horses to make them bolder xc?

Thunderbirds R Gone

Visit site
My 5 yr old eventer is not the bravest xc, he is very spooky and tense and worried about everything. He always seems to have a stupid stop somewhere, usually at the water or if there's something funny on the ground (stones etc) around the fence. He's very forward going and not nappy at all.

Would taking him hunting chill him out a bit and make him less worried or do you think it would blow his brain and make him worse? I've only ever been hunting once before and that was on a hireling who knew his job so must admit I am a bit
crazy.gif
about the thought of taking him!

jonny

www.jcbeventing.weebly.com
It could help, a lot of people try hunting as a remedy to make their horses more confident and bolder xc. If your going to do it take care, you don't want to scare the [****] out of your horse and have the opposite effect of what u desired to achieve! :]

Law

Visit site
I don't know how it might effect your boy but i take mine hunting and it definitely has boosted his confidence XC
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I have never hunted any of mine and never had a problem with a horses boldness. When my one was a youngster he was quite spooky and didn't seem to know how to gallop so I simply took him schooling or to hunter paces with a friends schoolmaster and just flew round following part of the way and then going in front etc. That seems to perk them up and give them lots of confidence to then go it alone.

Fiona

Visit site
Meeeeee!!

Its worked for two of ours (both mares) who were so much more confident XC after a winters hunting. I don't mean hammering them week after week either, just 5 or 6 times.

Pick your meet, or ideally go out with the bloodhounds where you know the fences will be reasonably safe and there won't be any wire jumping.

Good luck.

Fiona

thebarn1

Visit site
Well, I bought my 16 year old Irish Cob 5 years ago from a riding school and he just plodded and plodded. Four years ago I took him hunting and we have never looked back. He is a totally different animal. He is happy and alert, he is now a forward going boy who can be a bit of a handful at time.

Go on, you will love it!!!!!

sportsmansB

Visit site
We take most of ours - normally when they are 5 just before they start Pre Novice. You can really see the difference in the horses who come to us after this time and haven't been!
You need to be fairly confident about it yourself though, as the point is to increase their confidence
If you are a wee bit worried about it - do you know anyone to ask to take him for you?
Echo Fiona- always with hunt you know will only be jumping solid fences with no wire etc...