how many of you ride your prelim tests in spurs?

Tapir

Visit site
I saw someone at my local venue do an Intro in spurs.

I'm just about to start competing with my lazy cob & unless she wakes up in a big way at competitions I'll be doing prelim in spurs.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Yes I did and would again if I had a horse at prelim level that was behind the leg.

Nothing worse than watching a horse being kicked along every stride without spurs, when all that is needed is one sharp poke to remind the horse it is his job to go forward and stay in front of the leg.

I could not ride a horse that had been taught to be dead to the leg by endless nagging.

Kat

Visit site
Both DH and I have ridden prelim in spurs, sometimes it is better to pop them on and get a decent reaction than to nag away. Often a horse that has become a bit dead to the leg will respond well to the different feel of spurs.

You might be in a minority but you probably won't be the only one in spurs. As long as your lower leg is stable enough that you are using them properly and your horse responds well to them you won't get critisised.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I haven't because if I ride at dr length, I can't get spurs on him without drawing my legs up :eek: But it is dressage legal to and I have seen people do so :)

I hope you have a photographer. I would like pretty BH photos please. I will take some at Ely btw if you like - dafthoss says you're going on the 1st?

Jesstickle

Visit site
I hope you have a photographer. I would like pretty BH photos please. I will take some at Ely btw if you like - dafthoss says you're going on the 1st?

I am trying to make dafthoss come tomorrow :p But yes, the 1st. You should bring Fergs rather than take photos though!

Kat, I don't have many things going for me riding wise but one of the few things I do have is reasonable lower leg on the flat. Over a fence, hideous, but just doing circles it's ok.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Good-o. I'll chuck them in the lorry then. Lazy sod of a horse :rolleyes:

Te he ! my old instructor made me use 'pony club' kicks on a lazy horse.

Really simple procedure, you ask politely - nothing happens - you ask again with a little more pressure - nothing happens - you then take your legs and spurs off the horse as far as possible and give it one huge thumping kick.

This always got the required result and the horse remained in front of the leg for sometime. If he dropped off again the above was repeated. It did not take long to teach him to respond to the lightest aid and he became a lovely responsive ride.

It's not pretty and I did keep a finger in the breastplate on occassions to avoid a backwards dismount, but it was a very effective way of keeping forwards momentum.

The same instructor also taught me how to use a dressage whip properly. The same principle, you do not keep niggling/tapping with the whip, if the horse had not responded to one or two polite requests the whip was used with a decent smack. It did not take long for him to realise it was far easier to do what was asked. He was an 18hh heavyweight who became as light as a feather to ride, polite and forward and I could give him aids without anyone seeing me do it. All achieved through an instructor who firmly believed you only ask once or twice and then you enforce and mean it.

That training has stayed with me forever and I still use the principle whether on the ground with horses on on board.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I am trying to make dafthoss come tomorrow :p But yes, the 1st. You should bring Fergs rather than take photos though!

Good god. I can think of several reasons why that would end badly.

1. lack of fitness and competition readiness over a long HT course...

2. That blue house thingy that he tried to faceplant me into the other week

3. Nope, the blue house was enough :cool:

I might consider bringing him to the one at the end of the year though...

Over a fence, hideous

:mad: I'll swap you mine? :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
some do seem to be immune to that method though :rolleyes: I believe that you ask then enforce and mean it.. pony has never been able to retain this information though... ;)

dafthoss

Visit site
Yep I have ridden a prelim in spurs :D. Oh and JFTD you could do the schooling round at ely?

JT I can come photo and shout stressage test out for you tomorrow if you want?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Thanks all.

I might be going out dragging on Sunday. I bet I don't need my spurs for that! He just has an aversion to schooling. Now I am bricking it though as I'll probably die!

vallin

Visit site

:mad: I'll swap you mine? :D

JFDT, Dafthoss has already roped me in to be camera buddy for the day so you can defo take the horse! :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD, Dafthoss has already roped me in to be camera buddy for the day so you can defo take the horse! :D

No, no you can't cover the whole course by yourself! We stagger each camera person along and cover the whole area :D

Can't possibly take the pony, camera duties are far too important :eek:

Dragging, Jess? Awesome :D:D:D

coss

Visit site
yes - i ride a horse who sometimes needs reminding to step under more - have plenty of energy just used in the wrong way. She gets a bit stressed with the whip when we've doen more schooling and work so i revert to spurs - also helps with straightness

Lolo

Visit site

Just miss it out, or his blood will be up that point and he'll ping it :D

Al wears spurs for prelim dressage- Reg goes like a donkey at times and needs reminding he's an ex-racer and would he please be a little sharper...