How many people give their horses a proper holiday every year?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
No, her whole life is a giant holiday. She barely gets ridden as it is! :p

This! He gets a holiday if I go away, but then sometimes can have an unintentional week off due to work/weather/child issues anyway.

He's shod and out 24/7 all year, so has 23 hours a day minimum every day on holiday.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I used to give mine a 2 week break at the end of the outdoor affiliated dressage season. This was back in the day when most comps were outside and on grass. He and I would be mentally drained after months of full on comps.

Then I'd bring him back in, whizz him round the fun rides 'Ye haa!!' having a fab time, then happily go back into dressage training mode. It kept us both mentally fresh and up for the job.

scats

Visit site
The hooligan generally has an unplanned holiday, either due to an injury (like this year and many before) or his hives take over and I can't put a saddle on him. With him I just take life as it comes, you can't make too many plans as inevitably I end up disappointed!

The diva's workload decreases in November and December- mainly to weekend hacking and possibly one light school/ stretchy session in the week. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a fair weather rider, I just don't do rain, I get no enjoyment out of riding in the rain and neither do my horses, so I'm dictated by the weather during the winter.
But she has a relatively easy life so she doesn't really need a holiday.

rara007

Visit site
Most years the driving ponies that have done the summer season get September- Christmas off. We're all ready for a break by then! I'm just bringing Pip back into work- he's been off since October. Cheerios will get next winter season off as he'll have had a long period of development by then and will be due! Never have any issues bringing back into work thankfully! The riding ones barely ever get up to medium work so they don't need one! Everyone gets one day off per day away from home post competing!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Mine get a couple of weeks off when I go away but I don't see the benefit in longer periods. Barring youngster's I don't think healthy horses need them.

Doormouse

Visit site
Mine! And he is coming to stay with you! He has starting packing already, I have told him he has got a while yet but he likes to be organised. He is currently deciding if he will need his speedos or not.

shanti

Visit site
Mine get a few weeks off in the hottest part of summer, now actually a we are experiencing major heatwaves! The summers where I live are just too hot for riding to be enjoyable for me or the horses.

dollyanna

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 and naked all year so as it is mostly wet here they get abandoned somewhat Nov-March-ish. They move up the road to a 30 acre field with trees, hedges, streams, hills, varied terrain and 3 other ponies who live there full time and just get time to be ponies. Realistically I'm not missing much as they would be too wet to work most days, and if we get a few nice days then I can go up and work them, but they stay fit galloping around the field and up and down the hills so generally come back in better shape. What will happen as they get older and in more work I don't know, but it gives me a much easier winter which is important for my health so I doubt I will do anything else in a hurry. They go a bit more feral for a month or so and then start to ask to do stuff, so by the time they come home they are ready and waiting for work to begin again.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Mine! And he is coming to stay with you! He has starting packing already, I have told him he has got a while yet but he likes to be organised. He is currently deciding if he will need his speedos or not.

Speedos a must. His friend is most excited about the summer holidays. They are having some sheep in with them (Larry & Barry I fear) to chase/be chased by as well which will keep them both mentally and physically fit.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
What I find really interesting about all your replies is that (bar the barefoot people) hardly anyone gives their horses time out of shoes. That is one of the main reasons for my horse's summer holiday and also he has been working hard this winter doing a lot of school work/dressage and hunting and I think is due some downtime with his best friend and enjoying a bit of sunshine and just having a break from being a ridden horse to just being a horse out 24 7.

I too need some downtime as getting up at 5.45 a.m every day to ride etc from end of June to end of March is hard work combined with a full time job and 5 year old to look after. My husband is an agricultural contractor so works stupid hours in the summer which means I have no child care and can't ride unless I get up at 5 a.m which doesn't appeal.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Yes, if they'be done a full season of eventing they get 6 weeks at the end of the season in October. I only do it when they can still live out & I let them go a bit feral.
I find it refreshes them, not from the work load- I keep that as varied & fun as I can - but from the grind of constantly being bathed, trimmed/clipped, plaited, iced, generally faffed with & long competition days. Personally I think it's this part of competing that 'sours' a horse much more than the work.

They always get very playful & mischievous on their holidays. It can be annoying but I liken it to kids at university having a blow out at the end of a long term.

They come back into work slowly following a plan including a month of pure hacking/straight lines which aims to have them fit & ready for the start of the season in March.

Goldenstar

Visit site
What I find really interesting about all your replies is that (bar the barefoot people) hardly anyone gives their horses time out of shoes. That is one of the main reasons for my horse's summer holiday and also he has been working hard this winter doing a lot of school work/dressage and hunting and I think is due some downtime with his best friend and enjoying a bit of sunshine and just having a break from being a ridden horse to just being a horse out 24 7.

I too need some downtime as getting up at 5.45 a.m every day to ride etc from end of June to end of March is hard work combined with a full time job and 5 year old to look after. My husband is an agricultural contractor so works stupid hours in the summer which means I have no child care and can't ride unless I get up at 5 a.m which doesn't appeal.

I believe it's vital that horses have shoeing breaks .When my horses have a break I remove their shoes if at all possible I keep them in the field as much as possible and in a group it's their time to graze and just be horses I will catch them every day but they have miminal handling they will then have a gradual return to work without shoes and are shod when we need to .