How many pieces of tack...

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Do you put on your horse for a hack?

I was thinking about this today as we met some fishermen while out hacking (complete with rods... fortunately The Beast was more interested in seeing if the novel humans were the treat carrying kind than in freaking out about the rods! :lol:). Anyway one chap was really interested in what all the bits of kit The Beast was wearing were for and as we were speaking I realise she must look a bit covered in stuff!

We have...
1. Bridle
2. Hi viz ears
3. Breastplate
4. Saddle
5. Hi viz exercise sheet
6. Left hoof boot
7. Right hoof boot
8. Left knee boot
9. Right knee boot

So 9 for us (counting boots as separate items). Takes me 'kin ages to tack up cos I'm dyspraxic as well... so many buckles! :lol:

Anyone put more stuff on their horse than me? :lol:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
DP - Saddle, bridle, martingale, 4 hoof boots, 2 knee boots and 2 overreach boots. 11 in total and it takes hours to put that lot on :D
B - saddle, bridle, martingale, 2 overreach boots. Amen for shod horses who don't trip over blades of grass.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Hacking, other than a high viz top and hat band for myself I just put them in bridle and saddle and a neckstrap (I like my oh***** strap) The only difference for other stuff is the boy has a martingale but unless he is super fit and wired up I don't wear it for hacking often!

Im a call onto the yard, flick with brush if required, tack up and go kinda guy :)

alainax

Visit site
Saddle (stirrups, stirrup leathers, girth)
Saddle pad
Bridle (bit+reins)
4 schooling boots
1 pastern wrap ( long story :p)

Takes a few minutes to tack up :)

Otherwise

Visit site
Saddle, hacking bridle with him viz noseband left on it, 4 hi viz brushing boots, 2 hi viz overreach boots, 2 knee boots, draw reins. I have a hi viz exercise sheet somewhere, I should really dig it out and start using it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
So far I'm looking "above average" :lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks like they galloped through a tack sale on the way off the yard though....

JFTDWS

Visit site
Depends really.

Usually I ride in a saddle (obviously with a girth and stirrups and a saddlepad etc :rolleyes3: ) and a breastplate which is always attached to it, and a bridle. My mare wears a western headstall which involves no buckling at all :p

I add a hi vis quarter sheet if we're going on the roads, and knee boots if we're going on slippy roads.

With my mare, if I'm not going on roads, this means I literally throw a saddle on, do up the girth on both sides, clip breastplate to girth and do up one side buckle. Slip headstall over her ears, chuck the reins over... And go :p

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
NFs home hacking gear till she broke in May, was:
Saddle complete with girth, saddlecloth and pedals.
Simple snaffle bridle without noseband, so only a throatlash to do up.

Away from home I'd add a noseband for aesthetics :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Saddle and bridle.
Sometimes a martingale, if I've been jumping last time I won't bother to take it off, if I've been schooling on the flat I won't remember to get it out of the tack room
Parsons rump for hi viz or a hi viz waterproof if raining, the tb is convinced he will melt if he gets wet.

Surbie

Visit site
Saddle
Bridle
Hi-vis jacket for me

Now it's getting darker, hi-vis breastplate and quartersheet for him too if we are going on the roads.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
<studies pic taken on hack today>

Cavesson bridle.
Saddle with assymetrically shimmed mattes numnah set up for wonky horse, fairfax girth, leathers, bow balance stirrups.
Neckstrap.
Hi viz ears, breast plate, quarter sheet, leg bands.
Hinds only - scoot hoof boots (she's shod in front).

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
We go out sporting:

Bridle
Fly veil in summer
Martingale unless unless using other bridle with Pelham
Saddle
Front brushing boots
Back brushing boots
Over reach boots if waiting to be shod
Fly rug in summer biting months
Exercise sheet in cold or wet winter months

Think that's it!

redapple

Visit site
Horse 1: Recently just a bridle and a high-vis jacket! I actually don't go on the roads but I have it ingrained in me hack=high vis even though I'm technically still on the farm. Its mainly due to some saddle issues but I've stuck with it as she's really nappy and sticky footed so it's easier and imo safer to be able to hop on and off without the saddle if she's got too acrobatic. But usually same set up but just add a saddle so 2 or 3 items.

Horse 2: Bog standard everyday set up. Saddle and bridle. High vis on me. (I do need to buy some for horses).

I must be lucky but I've never had a horse fall riding in over 25yrs (touch wood!) so no knee boots and I also don't like put boots on if at all avoidable and the two I'm regularly riding at the moment don't over reach. So both easy and quick!

Reacher

Visit site
Saddle, bridle, martingale sometimes, 4 hoof boots, hi viz 1/4 sheet and neck strap. For added interest we have a Micklem bridle with a snaffle and 2 reins - one being attached to the noseband. I’m mostly riding him off this a.t.m. but have the bit for “oh ****” moments!

Reacher

Visit site
Ps in clegg season we had a fly sheet detachable neck cover on and a sheer fly mask too - then replaced the 1/4 sheet and neck cover with a full fly sheet on top of saddle instead.
No one gave us funny looks , honest! ;) :lol:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The extra 'stuff' that goes on for hacking takes the time cf riding in the arena :D! All the hi viz and the hoof boots are a bit of a faff, but I ride in an air jacket every time now, even in the arena.

Wl6xZnP.png

Last edited: