How many rugs do you buy a year?

elliejhb

Visit site
When my bargain medium turnout arrived today from Robinsons it did make me think, how many rugs have I bought this year?

I have calculated it to be:
1 no fill turnout
2 fly rugs
1 full neck fleece
The newly purchased still in bag turnout.

That's normal isn't it?!

little_critter

Visit site
When my bargain medium turnout arrived today from Robinsons it did make me think, how many rugs have I bought this year?

I have calculated it to be:
1 no fill turnout
2 fly rugs
1 full neck fleece
The newly purchased still in bag turnout.

That's normal isn't it?!

In the 5 years I've owned my horse I've bought:
2 fly rugs (they never fit right)
1 mw turnout
1 no fill turnout
1 lightweight turnout
1 mw stable rug
1 cooler rug

I was going to say approx 1 per year but it's actually a bit more than that.
Barring trashing I shouldn't need to buy any this year.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Have bought 4 turnouts and a cooler this year but luckily 4 of my 5 are the same rug size therefore I never feel any guilt rug shopping :D

Before this year however I haven't bought a new turnout in 3 years but have bought maybe a cooler a year :)

Eta had this question been about match sets the answer would be a little different :eek:

Greylegs

Visit site
Didn't buy any last year or the year before, but have bought two this year. Both MW's ... a turn-out and a stable. This was only because my daft OH chucked my old ones out by mistake!!! I'd have had them washed and kept them otherwise. Rug buying can turn into a very expensive habit if you're not too careful!

Bramblebear

Visit site
This year I have bought a fleece, a thermatex, a sheet, no fill turnout, a lightweight turnout, lightweight stable and a heavyweight stable. I clearly have a problem

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Are we talking this year as in since yesterday or over the past year? :tongue3:

Only a combo fleece, but checking through rugs today (full clipping tomorrow), he has 4 fleeces, 3 medium combo turnouts, 2 lightweight combo turnouts, 1 standard neck turnout, 1 rainsheet, a sweat cooler mesh thing, a medium combo stable rug. I'm resisting the temptation to buy another stable rug, particularly as I tend to leave him in his turnout so it dries quicker.

rachk89

Visit site
Er I have had him for 6 months and have had to buy 11 as he keeps destroying rugs. He is on his 4th m/w turnout and 2nd l/w stable.

He has currently:

1 h/w turnout and 1 stable
2 m/w turnouts and 1 stable on the way
1 l/w turnout and 2 stable (managed to repair first but he has outgrown it)
1 cooler

It's not that bad for 6 months...

AppyLover

Visit site
When I first got Ted I bought him

1 rain sheet
1 medium weight
1 heavy weight with neck
1 Fly rug when it become summer

He grew out of all of those by this winter so now he has

1 no fill turnout
1 light weight (100g)

If it every gets cold I think I'll get him a chicken rug :D

He lives out 24/7 if he came in at night I think I'd become a rug hoarder as for some reason I love when I buy rugs even if it takes a good 10 mins of following him around the field to put it on if its brand new out the bag lol I have had to double rug and then undo the one underneath and pull if off from the back before lol

Orca

Visit site
None. She came adorned in her own, personal black and white number and I've decided to keep it ��

McFluff

Visit site
Mmmm, was feeling quite smug thinking I've been good. Then I remembered that I've bought a fleece rug, a skrim rug, a dry rug and a thermatex. Just as well my old Rambo rugs fitted her, and I sold my PE rugs, so that offsets some doesn't it??

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
In 2015 we bought the following: - Do please bear in mind that we have 6 horses, these rugs weren't all for one horse!

1 Thermatex
1 200g under rug
1 320g turnout rug
1 fleece
2 new fly rugs
2 no fills
1 350g stable rug

And do these count? A new market striped fleece, and a waterproof, yellow hi viz exercise sheet.

^^ Think that's all of them, from 2015.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't think that's enough! I've only owned her a year so they have all been bought in the last year save two of the exercise rugs!

Daisy alone has

2 HW (one has a removable liner so is also a no fill).
1 MW.
1 fly rug
(Reasonable I hear you cry!)

Aaaaaand:
1 quarter sheet
4 wrap around fleece sheets
1 waterproof wrap around
1 Rambo ultra hi viz wraparound with neck
1 soft shell waterproof walker rug (no walker - it's for being led out).
1 bio flow.
2 fleece rugs.
1 mac in a sack
1 Rambo dry rug

Ideally she needs another HW and another MW minimum, she lives out and I don't like putting wet (on the outside) rugs back on.

Have my eye on a Eurostar move it turnout next, does anyone have one? I like the shoulder gussets whch look roomy enough for her massive muscly cob shoulders...

In my defence I do ride out every single day whatever the weather and it's all for her sake!

Last edited:

Iwantakitten

Visit site
Oh gosh, Dizzy came with a lightweight turnout, 2 stable rugs and a fleece. One stable rug went straight in the bin and the fleece doesn't fit. I got him in April. He now owns:

The original lightweight turnout
Another lightweight turnout (belonged to my old mare)
2 light stable rugs
2 40g turnouts
2 100g liners
1 50g turnout
4 fleeces (1 came with and 1 was my old mares)
1 thermatex
1 HW stable rug

Accessories: he has a yellow waterproof hi vis wrap around and a pink mesh hi vis quarter sheet.

I REALLY want a chicken rug!

zaminda

Visit site
I was feeling quite smug then realised I have bought 2 fly rugs and 2 lightweights. I do have 3 though. Sadly I have quite a list for new rugs, I really want new thermatex to replace the one that was damaged last year.

maisie06

Visit site
The perfect solution.....I sell some rugs to make room for buying some new ones!!! Only one of mine wears them but I have my eye on a very nice MT MW turnout...

ShadowHunter

Visit site
In the 6 months i've owned her (wheres the time gone!!) i've bought

2 m/w detach-a-neck turnout
1 l/w stable
1 fleece
1 100g liner (which she wore twice, somehow took the whole thing off and ripped off the clips that attach it at the back straight off, so now its hole-y :( )

I would like a 300g one too but the weather hasn't even reached cold enough to warrant one.

MungoMadness

Visit site
Two fly rugs (his field friend kept eating him) and a 100g turn out for this weirdly warm winter. Owner of said field friend replaced his no fill turnout when that was ate too if that counts.

Hopefully next year I won't have to buy any! He has ripped two middleweight turnouts but I've repaired those.

LibbyL

Visit site
What make is your 50g from please? have been searching for that sort of weight :)

Oh gosh, Dizzy came with a lightweight turnout, 2 stable rugs and a fleece. One stable rug went straight in the bin and the fleece doesn't fit. I got him in April. He now owns:

The original lightweight turnout
Another lightweight turnout (belonged to my old mare)
2 light stable rugs
2 40g turnouts
2 100g liners
1 50g turnout
4 fleeces (1 came with and 1 was my old mares)
1 thermatex
1 HW stable rug

Accessories: he has a yellow waterproof hi vis wrap around and a pink mesh hi vis quarter sheet.

FfionWinnie

Visit site

Ha of course, we have one of them too 😋

97DAE44E-2382-4507-B326-A4BFC1F72741_zpsgxjuq7ik.jpg

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Well in all fairness to myself I did buy a new horse which came with no rugs whatsoever. So I think purchasing one no fill turnout, three 200g turnouts (including of course a chicken rug), one 300g turnout, three stable rugs (100g,150g and 300g) and two exercise sheets isn't that excessive. I'm thinking about buying a 50g rug for next year as well as it seems a helpful sort of weight to have!

SuperH

Visit site
In 2015 I bought a lightweight 40g turnout for my chestnut as I didn't have a suitable rug for her. I also bought my black mare a lightweight cooler as she was finding the one I won nearly 30 years ago too warm.

I tend to buy similar types and sizes of horse, so they usually fit in the same rugs. I do have a large collection, mainly pretty ancient! I tend not to part with rugs as you never know when they may be handy... I'm not intending to buy any rugs this year, apart from if one is damaged beyond repair or if the rug companies finally decide to make my ideal rug.

atropa

Visit site
I bought 9 rugs in the first 2 months of owning my mare. To be fair, she came with a load of rugs which ranged in size from 6'0 - 6'9, were in various states of disrepair and looked like they'd never seen the inside of a washing machine..
I kept one good wool cooler and bought:

1 50g standard turnout
1 100g combo turnout
1 rain sheet with detachable neck
1 chicken print rain sheet
2 x MW combo turnouts
1 HW standard turnout
1 HW standard stable rug
1 HW combo stable rug

She also has a LW stable rug from my old horse, so 11 in total. I'm trying to rein it in this year but expect to buy a fly rug and possibly a summer sheet. I'd also quite like an exercise rug, a light fleece, a MW stable rug and a combo HW turnout for her but surprisingly she seems to have survived so far without them :p