How many rugs has/have your horse(s) gone through?

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
Since I use my gelding's destroyed rugs to cover my hay I was counting up how many rugs he's gone through (yes it is depressing to see how much money I've spent). In the 7 years I've owned him he's gone through 9 rugs...is that normal :eek: I don't really rug my mare so she hasn't had the chance to destroy rugs but my gelding seems to enjoy doing it! So how many rugs have your horses gone through? :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'll cheer you up. My mare goes through at least one a year. If she can't rip them on fences she stands that close to my young gelding when she's in season that he chews the straps off her sweet itch hoody. Just to make sure that we win, we used to have a DIY that ripped strips off the ponie's rugs, and if it couldn't rip their rugs it ripped them! We do repair as many rugs as we can, but these guys are pros!

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Mine has destroyed 2 this year with the help of his other pain in the backside buddies!! i now opt for 1800 plus denier ballistic..does the job!

babymare

Visit site
ok my mare as ( and counted by my daughter ) 10 rugs of various types but only wears 1 - her fly sheet - mmmmmmhave 2 brand new rugs bought 4 yrs ago never worn pmsl - ok slight digress from thread sorry :)

pinball

Visit site
can beat that lol,my boy its the first winter i owned him went through 5 turnout rugs in 7 days,he then went naked and loved it good job really,or i would have had to have sold my kids:D

JenniferS

Visit site
In my first 4 days of owning Rhea, she managed to absolutely destroy my favourite fleece! By destroy I mean rip it and shred it, rub poo in it, put her hoof through it and to top it off; pee on it before lying on it!

bumblelion

Visit site
My TB wrecks a rug each month (well he doesn't, my other horse does for him!). Any rug gets shredded from HW Rambo's to LW Weatherbeetas. Tried every make going!! The only exceptions the Rambo Protector but that's only in the summer!! Costs me a fortune, although I buy him a new set each year and then repair myself, patch, tape, you name it! By the end of the year they look like patchwork quilts!!! He had 19 rugs before I got my other horse and they began to get trashed!! Was a rug-a-holic but have now given up!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Mine can be bad for rug ripping.

Fany has the record for ripping a rug, she had it on five minutes and ripped the side out. It could not be mended.

Captain is usually very good and has had some rugs for years, especially a light turnout that lasted well and was his cheapest rug I've ever bought him. He out grew it.But he killed a Masta rug in one day and a Rhinegold in an hour! Took the front out of the Rhinegold on the gate when he decided it was too cold for him and so brought himself in. Masta did what a lot of Mastas do, it ripped along the seam along the length of the rug.

tinap

Visit site
In 3 yrs he's ruined 6 rugs!! & I can't for the life of me find what he's doing it on!! He gets eaten alive by flies so always needs a fly rug on but he rips them after 1 day!! My job today is to repair it again, I don't think it has any original mesh on it anymore but I'm buggered if I'm buying him a new one!!!

Janette

Visit site
One horse, 5 years, all rugs still intact. She could still use the first turnouts I bought her if they still fitted..... She went up a rug size when she was about 8.

Archangel

Visit site
My oldest rug is 32 years old :eek::eek::eek: It started life as a 5ft 9ins stable rug and was cut down to make a foal rug 20 years ago when we had a surprise late foal :cool:. It is sitting there waiting for another foal in need :)

The shortest lived rug was a stallion's Christmas present. By Boxing Day there was just the neck band left :eek:

Pablo349

Visit site
My horse hasn't destroyed any, to ne honest I've grown up with the fact that you don't need loads of ruge. One of the main ones will do. I have:
1x fleece
1x Lightweight turnout
1x Hevayweight turnout
1x Fly rug
1x heavyweight stable
1x lightweight/under-rug stable
These all work and get cleaned regularly.
What's the point in spending loads of money on rugs you'll only use once?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
my big girl is the only on who really gets rugged and she destroys at least one of her winter turnouts every year:rolleyes: she likes to hide under the blackthorn trees, trouble is she's 17hh and really too big to be hiding in bushes so the rugs get ripped to shreds!
oh the mice like to eat my rugs as well, i'm quite used to the little blighters popping out when i pick up a rug:eek: