how many small bales in a massive bale?

ThePony

Visit site
Hi,
New yard charges per large bale of hay, but atm we are paying per small bale, so I have no idea how the costs compare!
Just need an idea of how many small bales you could get out of one of those massive rectangle bales (half heston is it?). Or, adlib hay overnight for two horses, how long would one of those massive bales last you?
Thank you!

flying solo

Visit site
Depends on the weight of the big bales, I bought two loads of hay from two different farms. One load I could move myself no problem and the other stuff took two of us and we struggled like mad! All bales were 5ft tall (ish) and the same in width

tinap

Visit site
Apparently 10 ish but I opened my big bale on 9th july, pony has a large haynet every night & when travelling & I've still got tons left!!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think there might be more in the Hesston than in the round ones, but different manufacturers balers do different sizes and of course depends on how tightly they are baled

The Hesston square/rectangular ones do I think have less wastage, perhaps cos they can be stacked with less exposure to the air.

ThePony

Visit site
ohh, that sounds loads better! Being used to whipping through small bales, the massive rectangular ones look like they would last forever - though I don't know if that is hopeful budgeting on my part! They certainly are huge though, with all my and my OH weight behind it we couldn't budge it at all!