how many times did you try your horse before buying

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I went to see George 4 times! He is my first horse and thankfully the previos owners were brilliant and understood my indecisions! The 1st time I just rode in the school, the 2nd time I didn't ride but just handled him, took him for a walk and so on, the 3rd time they took me for a 1 hr hack and the third time I saw him jumped and handed over the deposit!! Bit excessive me thinks but he was only 5miles away and I didn't know any better.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
One I only rode once but then got it for a weekend to make my mind up(I think I'd already made my mind up anyway!)

Second one I didn't ride at all as she was coming out of stud and hadn't been ridden for 4 years!!

Both are ace horses and I don't regret a thing!

FinellaGlen

Visit site
Zero times. I bought her sight unseen. Best pony I've ever owned
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
My 3 personal horses I have right now - I didn't ride any of them before buying them. I met them once and decided to buy them on the spot.

Most of my other horses I didn't ride either before buying them. I am not greatly interested in riding any horses as any ones I buy as "beginner" type horses cannot be bought for this unless I have a beginner person ride them; most of the sellers I buy from are beginners therefore just seeing them ride the horse is enough for me.

I obviously do all preliminary vet checks on them as wouldn't want to be sold a pup!

In the past when I lived in England and I have bought horses solely for me, I have ridden them once and then either bought them then and there, or walked away.

Zobaby

Visit site
I tried mine 3 times - had a lesson on him the first time (he was kept at a riding school), hacked out the second and took an experienced friend to see him the 3rd time. He was my first horse so I wanted to make sure he was right. Though it didn't actually work out as planned and i've just sold him!

x

jesterfaerie

Visit site
The two I have now, Ed I bought from a work placement so I had handled him before even knowing he was up for sale and hacked him out once, once i knew he was up for sale my dad came to watch me ride him which resulted in me been chucked off him and my dad deciding that he was worth buying as he would teach me a thing or two!

Stylo I saw twice, it would have been one veiwing but they had to hire an area and wanted to make sure I like him first. Eventually saw him ridden a week later (owners daughter point blank refused to ride him) I had a little sit on him and decided to take him.

cariad

Visit site
Didn't. Like FinellaGlen bought unseen, untried and unvetted from Scotland. Also like FinellaGlen, he turned out a great horse, can't fault him. Don't recommend it, but a) I was lucky b) I knew and accepted the consequences of being wrong.

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
Christian- tried twice... 1st time schooled him and just got the feel, second time hacked him out and jumped him.

Finnie- twice again. First time schooled and jumped, and saw her ridden, second time i hacked her out.

usually mum insists on going back a second time to see what they are like in traffic if we don't hack out the first time.

wench

Visit site
Rode him once and fell off in spectacular style, and decided I wanted him. Was at RS tho, so whilst waiting for vetting could see how he was, perfectly fine!

IsabelleJ

Visit site
I tried Sidney twice. One and a half hour trip, took hubby with me the first time, tried him and handled him, tacked him up, everything. I went back a week later with a more experienced friend, both of us rode him, she jumped him, then coached me over a jump. He was a superstar then, and 9 months later, he's my dream horse. (Despite me falling off today, LOL!)

Isabelle

mintaka04

Visit site
Err, I'm going to seem a complete worry-wart here, but my previous two equine purchases (vetted) turned into disasters, so, here goes.

21 March first contact by phone
26 March visit, rode in arena, friend watching
2 April hacked out, friend videoing
9 April rode in school with instructor watching
14 April had horse vetted
15 April horse bought!
In between steps 3 and 4 I looked at the video repeatedly and showed it and photos to my farrier, YO and anyone else who would take an interest!
I'm glad to report that the horse and I are still together after 4 years and I still speak to the vendor. Oh, and each trip to the horse was over 100 miles.
I know, I'm a bit mad...

redmerl

Visit site
Bought my horse from my friend and had been riding him for 2 months before I purchased.

However, he was a nutter so if I had gone to riding him without knowing him, I would not have bought him!

Murphy88

Visit site
tried mine twice, as took an experienced friend back to see me ride him after first time. you'll probably know if he's the horse for you quite quickly tho! mine bucked and ran away with me when i tried him, but i he was a brill jumper, so i got him and prayed to god that with a stronger bit and noseband he'd be ok! 5 years later i wouldn't be without him!

m3gan

Visit site
Once , although it was a twohundred mile plus return trip to see him, I didn't intially say yes but slept on it and made the decision to buy him the next day, and he is my first horse, and have not regretted it , although we have had a few challenges , not his fault , just bad luck, he is worth it all though!! And is now fine. Good luck tomorrow!

amiacat

Visit site
Bought mine after 2 viewings but I knew after the first one that I wanted him. But thought I should go back a second time to see if he was different to how I remembered (if that makes sense!). When I first saw him he was ridden by someone other than the owner (due to an accident they couldn't ride) and this person totally wound him up, the then owner said he didn't normally ride like that. So I wanted to see what he was like if he hadn't been wound up and turns out he was very chilled. I'm glad I saw and rode him for a second time as I was more relaxed the second time and got a better idea of how he went.

Flame_

Visit site
In the past I've decided on one viewing. The horse I bought a couple of weeks ago I saw twice just because the dealers she was from had so many lovely horses I could only narrow it down to between two on the first day. I had to go back again and ride them both as I just couldn't fault either and couldn't choose. I was glad I did as the other horse aggrivated my back injury on the second ride so I picked my girl and she's wonderful so far.
smile.gif

horsemadmandy

Visit site
HI
rode my guy and schooled in the field and then we hacked out down a main road etc

2nd visit- had the opportunity to catch him load him - arrived for a hack tied up at trailer tacked up- rode in a river- cantered across open fields in company- rode through woods which led onto main road- and back to trailer- job done- horse for me !