How many times to allow trying of horse for sale?

mollyh

Visit site
Just wondering how many times maximum you would allow/expect someone to try your horse before making some sort of offer to buy? I understand twice, but anymore than that?

ThePony

Visit site
Depends on the reasons really. For a comp horse I might expect more as they might want to bring their trainer back to see the horse being ridden and ride it, a person might also want to check the horse hacks out happily etc. I guess more than twice and I would be wondering what they are after finding out that they hadn't on the first two visits, but depends on the situation tbh? If each time they just come along with friends for a jolly then I might feel I was being taken advantage of though!

Jerroboam

Visit site
Not sure if the situation is the same but we sell quite a few hunters here and most people come and ride in the school and then arrange a days hunting/or a second hack or something. Any more than twice and we get a bit twitchy. Most buy after their first try though!

Enfys

Visit site
If they appear to be just joyriding then I would put a limit on it but otherwise, for the unbroken youngsters, as many times as they liked. BUT I would make it very clear that unless they gave me a deposit the horse would still be on the open market and I would happily sell it from underneath them (literally) if someone else came along with the cash:)

It isn't a problem for me to have people come view a horse as the horses are at home, but if the horse was at a yard and I had to travel, take time off work, find babysitters, reserve the school, put out jumps etc then there most certainly would be a limit on my patience/goodwill and twice without a deposit/vetting would be the limit.

Last edited:

Cluck

Visit site
Twice; once in the school and once on a hack. Why would a buyer need to ride the horse more than that?

Perhaps if there were special circumstances I would allow someone to ride a third time. Say if the buyer wanted a trainer present and the trainer wasn't available right away.

I am so wary of current buyers that I find it difficult even allowing someone to come and see my horses for the first time!

canteron

Visit site
It so depends on the person. I tried my latest horse 4 times before I bought him - because he was so what I didn't want!!! (v young and v green).

However, I was completely honest with the vendor and explained my uncertainty and she was happy for me to do this as she wanted a good home (OK and a good price and she knew I had the money) for the horse.

So, just chat through with the vendor why they can't come to a decision and what their reservations are, and then try and find the way to help them come to the correct decision.

IMO the worst is those who say they will definitely buy - and then don't?

Marydoll

Visit site
It so depends on the person. I tried my latest horse 4 times before I bought him - because he was so what I didn't want!!! (v young and v green).

However, I was completely honest with the vendor and explained my uncertainty and she was happy for me to do this as she wanted a good home (OK and a good price and she knew I had the money) for the horse.

So, just chat through with the vendor why they can't come to a decision and what their reservations are, and then try and find the way to help them come to the correct decision.

Agree with this, you may also have someone trying several horses and whittling it down, if theyre coming back hopefully theyre still interested.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Can't imagine why you'd restrict it? As many times as they like, but until a deposit is in my hand/bank account then the horse is still for sale, even if you've been to see it several times at great expense.

tinap

Visit site
I wouldn't mind how many times as long as they were aware that it was still up for sale so they could be risking it going to someone else while they were umming & arrring!!!
Last one we bought was after 1 try but I would usually like to try once in school & short hack & then if possible try a class at a show (jumping) xx

Kat

Visit site

I can identify with this!

When we bought ours I tried her once in the school, then we went back and OH rode in the school and went for a short hack. At that point we decided to go ahead and booked the vetting. Issues were raised at the vetting and we pulled out but we discussed the issues with the seller and then had a third viewing with our trainer present and I rode her again in the school. I then saw her again on the ground to check out some other issues before taking her on a months trial. At the end of the trial we bought her.

I am incredibly glad that we bought her as she has been everything we hoped and more. I very grateful that a) I didn't pay too much heed to the vets concerns and b) the sellers were patient, understood our reservations and could see that we were not timewasting c) that the sellers trusted us, and the horse enough to really put it on the line and allow us to thoroughly look into everything, including having a trial.

I think you can tell when someone is timewasting and when someone is serious but has justified concerns. I'm glad our sellers could as we have a super little horse who has exceeded expectations as a result and they aren't stuck with a horse that they don't really have the time for.

madeleine1

Visit site
i would expect twice but i would fully understand someone coming quite a few times.

i rode min for 3 years before i brought her as she was in the riding school and i know there it would be quite easy to get two competely differant rides from her and so someone else might have to ride her 4 or 5 times before they get the full aray of how she can be xx

indie999

Visit site
It depends I wouldnt turn away other prospective purchasers if someone was wanting to keep trying the horse out(as long as they were genuine).
If there are no other buying contenders unless the person was messing me around I would be quite happy to let them try the horse out a few times if need be(if it was to make sure all angles were covered).

I had been looking and would expect to at least go twice or thrice if need be. Found last one on first visit and bought there and then. Not been easy at all this time round..have done second viewing and met a completely different horse to the first viewing.So am glad I went and got thrown off otherwise the horse that never bucked would have been the worse purchase for me.

I get annoyed if I see no joyriders(I mean seriously if anyone has the time to go for a quick ride for free...indeed it puts me off the advert)!

bbcrystal

Visit site
After having two disaster purchases after going just once... when I bought my current horse (who is now with me for life) I went three times... I gave them a deposit on the second visit but then went for another hack out further afield just to confirm she was as right as I thought... and she is!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I usually just try once unless the place where I am trying it does not have the facilities I need so if it's a horse for eventing and I like it on the flat but can't jump where I am trying it I would expect the seller to take it somewhere suitable and if they where unwilling I would walk away and find another I have never tried more than twice before but sometimes you need more than one jump to decide and you need to ride the horse in a field.
As a seller ( not that I sell many buying is what I do) I would say twice fine but after that ask your self do they have a good reason to need to fidelity it again

Chez

Visit site
I'm happy for someone to come and see a horse as many times as they like, however after the second time I am less likely to be as accommodating (i.e I wouldn't take time off work or re-schedule something else but they are more than welcome to come again if they fit in around when I'm at the yard. I do also make it clear the horse is still on the open market until i have taken a deposit.