How many times travelling a horse a week is ok??

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Hi, just wanted to check with everyone, I've got lots of competitons and training coming up all of which i'm going to have to travel to. Now from the 3rd my mare will be travelling that Sunday, then the wednesday, then Friday up to Lincoln then back again Satarday....

Would you all say this amount of boxing in one week is ok??
smile.gif

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
check how she travels after each one. travelling can be quite tiring! I have a really good travel wash that makes a huge difference to them after long journeys if you want it!

Helga1980

Visit site
As long as she isn't a stressy travelling I should think it would be okay.

Might be worth thinking about a dose of probiotic or Colligone (heard lots of good things about Colligone on the forum).

Sal_E

Visit site
If she's fit & used to travelling & not all of the journeys are particularly long, then I imagine it will be ok - personally, I wouldn't be TOO keen to do what you're doing, but there'll be plenty of people who do this sort of thing & I am known for being a bit of a fuss pot..! Do make sure she's well-hydrated & try to get as much rest & turnout inbetween as possible. If she is one for worrying/sweating up when travelling, you may want to omit at least one of the journeys - maybe the Wednesday?

MrsMagoo

Visit site
She is used to travelling to shows every week and doesnt seem to be a stressy traveller. The plan for the week is:

Sunday - Local show 30mins drive
Wednesday - HORSE magazine lesson 1hr drive each way
Fri/Sat - RC Championships Lincolnshire 5/6hrs drive each way

I could possibly leave out the Sunday show but as we havnt been out for a few weeks I just wanted to get her back in the atmosphere again!! The other ones I def can't drop
smile.gif

What do u reckon? Thanks for all your suggestions about water and supplements, I will bear them in mind
smile.gif

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
My mare has been out and about this week that much and I had no problems providing I gave her coligone. I used to give her a syringe before leaving, and it would keep her settled and she preformed well. I wouldn't leave home without it now.
She's is stuffy to ride if she hasn't had it.

Capriole

Visit site
i dont see a problem either if she travels well, animals like police horses are boxed to their beat every working day arent they? see how she goes after each trip and if its tiring her too much