How many......?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Of you are equestrian trainers?
What qualifications do you have?
Do you compete?
What PDR do you do?

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Yes
BHSAI (also looking into UKCC)
Yes
Watching others, learning from training on own horses, attending conferences and lecture demos, reading, DVDs, on-line courses. In fact anything I can to further my knowledge!

LEC

www.youtube.com
Thanks for answering.

So much advice is given on the forum I thought it would be interesting to see who are trainers.

humblepie

Visit site
Don't currently teach but have BHSAI from years ago. Have competed show jumping (Fox Grade C on ex racehorse) and show (placed HOYS). Still learning lots though including from this forum.

LEC

www.youtube.com
PDR stands for performance development review. I guess really I should have written CPD (Continuing professional development) as that is what I meant!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'll play. . .

Depends on how you define your terms but yes, that is at least part of my remit.

Not in the UK, no. But I've been doing what I do for a very long time now and it seems to be going okay. I would like to do some accreditation here but it's tricky logistically. . .partly because I'm working a lot. :)

Minimally now, as I do not keep a horse for myself in my current situation, and I do not keep a yard, much as I would like to sometimes, as I prefer to with with horses and riders in situ, which is mutually exclusive with running a good facility, I've found. Previously, I've competed a lot in a wide variety of disciplines.

Professional development from any and all sources. Observation, instruction, instructing, reading, writing (this can be very useful!), meeting lots and lots of horses and riders. I used to have much easier accesses to clinics with a variety of top class people but I do find that much harder to find here, except in a few narrow situations.

Why do you ask? :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
BHSAI from many years ago, don't teach much nowadays as don't have regular days off from my job and most clients wanted regular slots. Just do the odd RC/PC teaching jobs.

Competed at lower levels affiliated, not brave enough to do big stuff! Learn from clinics, watching higher level comps, reading - this forum has taught me a lot too.

Some of the things I have learned on here has come from non qualified, non training people - doesn't mean you don't have experience if you're not qualified.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Ooooops, just saw you did say why you were asking! Reading for comprehension is clearly not in my skill set!

I guess the other question is, 'What are your qualifications for giving advice?' but one of the things I like about forums is the varied experiences it gives one access to. Someone who is otherwise quite inexperienced might have had just that one a poster is looking for.

Although I assume everyone takes advice from unknown (and even known) sources with a hefty grain of salt. . . . So many situations are simply impossible to judge accurately, even - maybe especially - for very knowledgeable people without seeing it in the flesh.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Yes
UKCC L2
Yes - have evented to Novice, jumped the odd 1.10 BS etc. Got a young horse now so am doing miniature everything!
I am pretty selective about whom I teach - I wouldn't be wanting to train people beyond a certain level or in certain situations, but it's not my day job so that works for me! That said I don't believe in doing things unless you make the effort to do CPD, so in the past year I've done a BE coaching day, gone to the International Eventing Forum, read a lot of stuff and watched a lot too. I do a lot of other sports and one of the things I am doing at the moment is some sports-specific training, and that's really interesting! Seeing how work outside of the sport can influence your ability to do a sport. I've already stolen the dynamic warmup for one sport and use it for riding :)

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have no formal qualifications but have spent 30+ years riding (& driving) and producing all kinds of horses and ponies to do all kinds of things. I have worked in racing, show jumping and dressage yards, doing everything from producing foals for county standard showing to sending out Thoroughbreds to win at Royal Ascot. I think the skills are transferable and as I have a broad base of experience (mentally and physically ;) ) I am more able to find solutions to issues. I am also fortunate that I come from a fairly horsey background and I have people on hand to bounce ideas off.
I don't ride competitively any more due to business commitments but I like to make an effort to keep things ticking over.
I enjoy watching and learning most things, I also applied to be on the SHB(GB) panel a couple of years ago but I wasn't successful, I will have another go but I need to put a lot of work in so that's on the back burner for now.
:)

Just to add, I don't teach, partly due to insurance etc, but mostly because I don't really enjoy teaching, I would rather ride a horse for someone.

TableDancer

Visit site
I'll play - only just seen the thread :)

Me, BHSII (Reg) also currently doing UKCC L3 Eventing - this seems to have taken ages but was somewhat thrown off course by the death of Kenneth Clawson who was my Coach Mentor; I have now enlisted the help of Caroline Moore and Christie Wright and hope to get it finished this season :)

Competing: previously evented to Advanced and 3*, plus loads of experience up to Int and 2* on a variety of horses produced myself. Not competing currently as I don't have anything to ride but haven't consciously hung up my boots :( Also SJd to Foxhunter and 1.30m classes although I'll freely admit the latter terrified me :D Last proper competitions were 2012 I guess, starting a young pony off at BE90.

CPD: I absolutely adore learning and lessons, so take every opportunity I can. I shamelessly nick ideas off trainers I respect when I have been lucky enough to either have or watch their lessons - KC, CM, Islay Auty, Blyth Tait, Jonquil Hemming, Yogi Breisner, Peter Murphy, Charlotte Dujardin would all fall into this category over the last 18 months. Then there are things like the IEF where we get to watch people like David O'Connor strut his stuff. I attend more local BE and Pony Club Coaching Development Days too, which are a bit more variable.

siennamum

Visit site
ooh I want to play, but am unhappy to be following TD.

Stage 3, but I don't let that stop me telling people how to do stuff.
Evented successfully at Novice, back before neoprene was invented.
SJ @ fox/ 1m25 similarly in the dark ages.
showed (once) at HOYS & a lot at county level in my youth

have broken in and schooled more horses & ponies than I can remember, for 45+ years trained by some fantastic people who noone under the age of 50 will have heard of. Have run livery yards & a riding school.

Gamebird

Visit site
Well everyone's answered yes so far so I'll stand here and say no otherwise you'll get an unbalanced view!
I don't train people (except for an unqualified spell teaching in a riding school aged 16-18 and helping a few friends out), only horses.
I have no training qualifications. My professional qualifications give me a small degree of knowledge in a specific equine field but for the rest of it I'm a layman :).

Last edited:

~ Clear Light ~

Visit site
Been too busy to post on here much recently but here goes! I have the IGEQ Level 1 (BHSAI) equivalent which I passed in Germany and going back to do Level 2 this year. Am on BHS register and freelance, selectively taking on more "thinking" riders as I enjoy the mental stimulation. I also have a professional part time non horsey job which pays the bills.

I have weekly training myself, ride several different horses every week, compete BD (admittedly been doing more training recently but lots of shows planned now!) Would love to take my WB BSJA-ing this year also as he is a fab jumper but I need a jumping saddle!

I attend BD events, National Convention etc, plus been to events in Germany. I watch other trainers, have trainer friends here and in other countries for training banter and to share advice. I tend to take advice from people of all levels, but who know how to ride the horse over its back and get it through.

Louise_88

Visit site
I have no teaching qualifications but I am working towards them (slowly). I am insured to teach a few hours a week but I'd rather ride the horse myself. My way off putting things across that are maybe more technical isn't quite where i would like it to be, clients are out winning/placings BD and BE though (low level).
I have won AM BD and working at home at PSG - hoping to do that this year. I have also evented up to Advanced (badly quite a few years a go) but had placings at Intermediate/**. My forte is now definitely dressage though!
I watch absolutely everything possible, read all sorts of books and like to get a varied perspective. I attend as many conventions and watch clinics whenever possible (I can sit and watch a good trainer for hours!!)

oldvic

Visit site
Aww c'mon, don't be like that, and I similarly date from the age when dinosaurs roamed the earth :D

The person I REALLY want to play is oldvic but I bet she won't: far too modest - and also protective of her anonymity ;) :D

You flatter me TD, I would hate to disappoint you!!

I have BHS and UKCC qualifications.
I have competed eventing, dressage and show jumping to a reasonable level but no longer do (time and situation precludes it).
CPD is keeping eyes and ears open. Asking questions and picking brains, watching where and when I can. I have been very lucky to have amazingly knowledgeable and talented people invest time and effort into training me and giving me many tools to work with. I have also been very lucky to have worked with and ridden some wonderful horses who have taught (and continue to teach) me so much.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Technically yes, although I wouldn't describe myself as such. I teach at a Riding school, my speciality is nervous kids, I wouldn't put myself forward to teach someone advanced riding.
As such I rarely hand out, if ever (I think!), hand out advice on here.
I have no formal teaching qualifications, I do have an Equine degree and I am accredited with the Pony Club (I think, I have a card somewhere :eek:) for what I teach I have enough. My clients are aware of my qualifications and are perfectly happy with what I have to offer.
I compete, although I am perhaps not competitive, at BE100 hopefully Novice at some point.
I go to lots of Pony Club teaching thingys (which usually have a eventing theme and are often brill!), pick things up from my own Instructor, watch, read, etc etc. mainly for my own selfish reasons, but obviously anything goes into my bank of knowledge for teaching.