How much £££ to share a horse

kateandluelue

Visit site
Purely as a thread of interest. I currently have my own horses however on our yard there are a few people who have sharers for their horses. To me the sharers appear to be paying a large amount of money to share and IMO are getting ripped off for what extra services they do for the owners of the horse.
So as a matter of interest, what do people pay to share horses and what are the arrangements for the share :)

Cowpony

Visit site
I have a sharer for mine but made it clear at the start that a contribution wasn't necessary. For me it's about making sure my mare is exercised and checked when I can't be there due to work. My sharer is lovely and pays for ad hoc things, so sometimes she pays for the farrier, or buys new kit occasionally. I have always said she can compete if she wants to, just as long as we agree who will do which class, but so far she hasn't wanted to. I couldn't ask for a better sharer and the best bit is we both think we are getting a good deal!

Tess Love

Visit site
I share 3 days a weeks and pay half of all costs which probably equals about £125 per month on average. She's on DIY so do I everything for her on my days plus everything for her field mate too on my days. Been sharing for 4 years now and love the pony to bits but if I'm honest I didn't sign up for the deal I've got it's just evolved over the years. All that said I've learnt a huge amount and treated like an experienced owner on the yard.

Equi

Visit site
£20 a week as of now and I won't be paying any more. I ride maybe once or twice a week and if I was paying anymore if want a bloody lesson rather than all the messing. Thankfully I've an instructor at the yard who works for a muck out lol

Bernster

Visit site
Lots of different types. One friend said they used to do proper half shares in Ireland at her yard, split all costs down the middle. Over here in the uk at my old yard it was around £100 upwards per month for 2/3 days on full livery, no chores etc. Not half the costs by a long way.

Evie91

Visit site
I pay a lot - but I have the horse three days a week, on a part livery basis (no jobs for me).He events up to novice level (not with me). Owner rides the days I don't so horse is well schooled. I can do whatever I want with him - hacking, schooling,jumping, lessons, take him out etc.
I've bought my own tack and travel stuff.
I don't consider it a bad deal. I previously had a horse on part/full livery so well aware of the full costs. I basically pay half of what I used to. Due to work commitments I can't ride four days of the week, so if I had my own horse it would need to be on full livery to ensure it was fit enough to do what I enjoy at the weekends - therefore this arrangement works very well for me and the owner ( who has two other horses to ride and compete).

Leo Walker

Visit site
Come and ride mine for free! Hes currently on full livery, but even before that there was no jobs as I've never found anyone reliable enough to trust! I still cant find anyone, although tbf I'm not looking and now just pay the yard to ride him for me. Works much better! I can trust them and I'm not worried they wont do it or might hammer him about etc :)

Micropony

Visit site
When I was a sharer 8 or so years ago I paid about £120/month I think for 2 days, one weekend and one week day. On the weekend day I mucked out, turned out, caught in, rode, did feeds and hay. On the weekend day jobs were done and I just rode.

Horse and owner were both fantastic and we were both very happy with the arrangement until they moved away, when I got my own.

AmberThePony

Visit site
I pay nothing currently but I do a lot for them as they aren't riding at all anymore, but they are struggling with costs so at some point I may give them some money monthly (although me just buying the horse has been discussed).

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I pay for feed & farrier & pony is mine when I want. Given she's only 13.1hh & not many folk little enough to ride her, so I have pretty much free rein. In winter I do her & her owner's other neds at the weekends & in summer do a few evenings in the week. This is on top of having my own youngster 20 miles away.

Limbo1

Visit site
I had a sharer when pregnant - she paid for the shoeing and rode 3 days a week. I thought good deal for her as on part livery so no work either, she only lasted a few months as there was no indoor school! She got a share in a year with better facilities.

I have had a kind of share for last few years - paid £10 each time I rode - ie once a week. No field work etc. Did look after horses when owner away. She just wanted company to hack with and cover the shoeing. Worked brilliantly.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I've shared a number of horses over the last 15 years and not paid a penny for any of them.
Sometimes it's more about what the sharer brings to the party other than cash.

DD

Visit site
local riding school charges £24 an hour for hacking. I think sharing price should reflect this. If a person shares their horse and charges for this they will need different more costly insurance than if they dont have a paying sharer. This needs to be reflected in the price. I dont mean that owners should charge riding school price but if a sharer rises 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time then thats £144 worth of riding if was done at a riding school, so if they are paying, say, £40 a week they are getting a bargain.