how much are you charged?

Cobsndogs

Visit site
I am on part livery so Christmas Day has always been covered in my livery, however on the yard I used to be on I would usually swap days with the yo and do it myself as she had children and I don't. Another yard I was on would triple the amount of their usual full day care to cover Christmas Day, so would be £24 instead of £8.

Lotty

Visit site
I'm on DIY Livery and we are travelling North on Xmas morning, coming back home Boxing night. I have asked a friend to look after my girl for 2 days and will probably give her £40 as she will have to soak nets too. Its the only time we all go away as all our immediate family live up North.

Venevidivici

Visit site
I pay staff time and a half if they work any bank holidays,so full livery on bank holidays is charged at £10 per day(which is half as much again as a normal day.)

Jools1234

Visit site
I pay staff time and a half if they work any bank holidays,so full livery on bank holidays is charged at £10 per day(which is half as much again as a normal day.)

i would not work for time and a half christmas day and have never been asked to. i always got at least double time and a very generous gift if i did christmas day, and i have done christmas day for 5 different people over the years.

lastyr i was asked to do another persons horses over christmas and they offered £120 for 5 days for 2 horses

smellsofhorse

Visit site
In normal (office) jobs you would be paid double time plus a lieu hours if you worked christmas day.
So on a yard i would expect it to be tripled to cover the staffing costs.

But im on diy any way and will still see to my horses myself on christmas day.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
My yard owner doesn't charge any differently for Christmas to any other day, however she gives all her staff both days off and herself, her partner and her parents do the yard so I tend to go down with my mini person and help out. I usually muck out and turn out/bring in my two and help do any others. Daughter washes feed buckets, fills water buckets, sweeps the yard, starts making up haynets and any other job she can do being all of 8 years old.

There are a few of us liveries who go and help and it's a lovely atmosphere so I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's also a great time to give them their presents so they know how much we appreciate them :)

Venevidivici

Visit site
They are quite happy to divvy the 3 x Xmas/NY bank hol days up between me and them and seeing as all of them are also liveries,they would be up at the yard anyway,so don't mind but I have always accomodated any special requests in the past. We turn out in the 2fields next to the yard,so turnout/bring in is quick and easy,make big nets up and I do late evening top-up/skip out as I'm on site. Some people are happy to work it (this year,one has asked to do the whole of xmas day,not just part of it,as her plans changed) or have different Xmas arrangements altogether.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Jinglejools-I think the 5 days doing 2 horses for £120 would work out less pay than what I'd be paying mine time and a half for that. Our lot are paid well all year round and get a Christmas bonus each (money,not a gift) so I don't think it's too bad over all. Plus,in an office job,people may have to put a full ordinary shift in,whereas our staff can do it flexibly (within reason in relation to horses routine etc:) ).

Jools1234

Visit site
Jinglejools-I think the 5 days doing 2 horses for £120 would work out less pay than what I'd be paying mine time and a half for that. Our lot are paid well all year round and get a Christmas bonus each (money,not a gift) so I don't think it's too bad over all. Plus,in an office job,people may have to put a full ordinary shift in,whereas our staff can do it flexibly (within reason in relation to horses routine etc:) ).

if you are paying over £24 per hour then yes its less than you pay your staff, if so do you have any more jobs?

'generous gift' always included cash

Venevidivici

Visit site
I guess it depends on how many hours you will work over the 5days as a whole and presumably you'd visit the yard twice each day? He he,no - no jobs going at the mo,soz.;) I guess my point was just that I've never *made* or insisted anyone work any days - the Xmas rota is worked out mutually,taking into account everyone's plans and preferences and second point was that one person's time and a half might equate to another's double or treble time. ;) (Tho,on the general consensus on here,maybe I should consider upping it....(couldn't afford to pay treble time tho-wages account would take a catastrophic nosedive!)) ;)

AngieandBen

Visit site
I only do DIY on those days, I have 8 for Christmas Day lunch, no way I'm turning out/bringing in and mucking out! They do have the oportunity for their horses to live out over the holidays so, up to them really

tinap

Visit site
All the liveries are on part & only have to do them on a weekend. At Xmas though we turnout, muck out & bed down ourselves in a morning & the yo brings in on an evening to save anyone having to go back. If we ask yo to deal with them it would normally be £11 a day but it is double on Xmas, boxing day & New year

noodle_

Visit site
im on DIY but the lovely YO will feed at night for us (as im working aswell)!

when i was on full livery the day was a DIY one.

fwiw - i work christmas day and get NO bonus (not even double time!)

Frosty89

Visit site
When I was on full livery I paid £5 extra for morning or evening turnout/hay and if I wanted a full day including muck out it was £10.

When I've been on DIY I've always worked it with a friend, last year I did Xmas day and she did Boxing day.

This year I'm on part livery which on my yard is full livery Mon-Fri and DIY at weekends. Because Xmas falls during the week it's included at no extra cost. The YO has asked if people want to do their own horses to give the staff a bit of a break. I'm doing the morning but they are doing the evening as we are away at my in-laws. I will however buy the girls some nice chocolates to share around as a thank you.

riding_high

Visit site
on our yard it becomes a DIY one on xmas day, normally we get turn out included in our livery though.
the liveries get together and help each other out though, some will go up in the morning and turn out/muck out etc and then others will go up in the afternoon to fetch in and muck their own out.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
Total DIY. I have 11 for lunch xmas day, and 15 on boxing day.

I can pay freelance groom £20 per day per horse.

But I just go down at 5am, muck out, change rugs, prep feeds water and hay and chuck out. Then I only have to bring in at 2pm (just before dinner). Luckily my husband can cook and hold the fort while I nip out for ten minutes and drag muddy ponies in :)

I save the cost of getting freelance to do it and buy YOs a nice gift instead, and will probably help them out on xmas morning so they can go and enjoy themselves.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Ooooo I love Christmas day at the yard - YO makes canapes and we have sloe whisky and champagne :D

I think she charges double rates on Bank Holidays for extras/full livery.