How much bigger will my rising 3 year old get?

Hexan

Visit site
Hi! So my boy is 14.2 at the moment, he’s going to be turning 3 at the end of March, I was just wondering how much bigger do you think he may get? Or will he stay the same? I’ll be happy if he stays the same height at that is my ideal, but if he got bigger that would be amazing!

Picture below of the amazing boy 🥰

Burnerbee

Visit site
Hi! So my boy is 14.2 at the moment, he’s going to be turning 3 at the end of March, I was just wondering how much bigger do you think he may get? Or will he stay the same? I’ll be happy if he stays the same height at that is my ideal, but if he got bigger that would be amazing!

Picture below of the amazing boy 🥰
Wrong forum - you want Tack Room 😉

Reactions: JBM

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

How did you end up posting this in Equestrian News? You should get more interest in Tack Room.

Pictures need to be smaller than 1mb to load to the forum, or you can use the URL from another site like Facebook or Photo bucket.

Hexan

Visit site
How long is a piece of string?!!!

Anything between 14.3 and 15.2 going off youngsters I've owned over the years.

Lots of variables and genetics pay a part in final wither height.

Picture not showing unfortunately
Hopefully this photo is better, my photo of him with an actual camera was too large, I should have looked! 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• ABEF913A-FE6A-4DE0-BC06-515D3EE42932.jpeg
    ABEF913A-FE6A-4DE0-BC06-515D3EE42932.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 76

Hexan

Visit site
My mare was 15.1 at 3 and 16 hands at 6. Her full brother only got to 15 hands so it’s a bit of a lottery
That’s lush! Thank you for responding, if he doesn’t grow I’ll still be happy with his height, as my loan pony is only 13.3, the waiting game is exciting. Unfortunately he didn’t have the best start in life. So I know that plays a big part in it, but hopefully with him living his best life now it’ll change that 🥰

Hexan

Visit site
...........use the string test - search on here for how to do it. It's been broadly accurate (+ or - 2cm) for all the youngstock I've bred over the years.
Thank you for responding, I’ve actually got measuring tape for the string test actually, just reminded me 🤣 I’ll have to get it out and use it and have a look

Hexan

Visit site
He’ll either stay the same height or get bigger…. Either way, sounds like you will be happy?!
I’ll be very happy! As my loan pony that I have now (and haven’t got the heart to give her back and let her go, being together now for nearly 3 years 🤣🙈) is only 13.3! So he’s almost a full hand bigger than her, but you wouldn’t think so with her attitude, how pushy and mean she is to our small herd 🤣🙈

Hexan

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

How did you end up posting this in Equestrian News? You should get more interest in Tack Room.

Pictures need to be smaller than 1mb to load to the forum, or you can use the URL from another site like Facebook or Photo bucket.
Thank you! I should have looked properly before posting! But here he is 🥰 and also I’m new only joined yesterday! It was the first to pop up so I just posted it, if I post anything else I’ll definitely put it on there haha

Attachments

• ABEF913A-FE6A-4DE0-BC06-515D3EE42932.jpeg
    ABEF913A-FE6A-4DE0-BC06-515D3EE42932.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 76

Hexan

Visit site
Very sweet and quite gangly for a three year old, but looks like he has a lot more filling out and growing to do.
Has a kind and relaxed look about him, you'll have lots of fun with him.
Thank you, he’s honestly the best! He didn’t have the best life before I bought him, he’s coming along slowly but surely ! He’s really come a long way, from a unhandled feral 2 year old to the most loving, laid back and trust rising 3 year old ever! Love, time and patience has just proved everything 🥰 I love him to pieces 🫶🏼

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you, he’s honestly the best! He didn’t have the best life before I bought him, he’s coming along slowly but surely ! He’s really come a long way, from a unhandled feral 2 year old to the most loving, laid back and trust rising 3 year old ever! Love, time and patience has just proved everything 🥰 I love him to pieces 🫶🏼

He should fill out a lot in time and look bigger even if he doesn't actually grow much. What are your plans for him, he doesn't look ready to back this year?

Hexan

Visit site
He looks a long way off turning 3- how certain are you of his age?
But that's a good thing if you're wanting more growth. A good worming program and decent nurition should see him catch up easily enough
Very certain he’s had his teeth checked and the person I got him off said he got vetted, they confirmed his age as well as my farrier coming to me as well! Yes we are due to worm our herd soon! He have good grass at the moment even with this horrible winter! Has unlimited and gets feed as well 🥰

TheMule

Visit site
Very certain he’s had his teeth checked and the person I got him off said he got vetted, they confirmed his age as well as my farrier coming to me as well! Yes we are due to worm our herd soon! He have good grass at the moment even with this horrible winter! Has unlimited and gets feed as well 🥰

Unless his passport ID form was done whilst he was still on his dam, I would tend to assume he's probably younger. He looks like my 3 rising 2 year olds. He could just be a later foal, or dismature for some reason. I would err on the side of caution and hold off any formal work for a fair few more months, or give him another year.

Shoei

Visit site
Do you know what is breeding is? I have a rising 3 year old, who will be 3 on the 5th May. Mine looks quite a lot younger and ganglier than some of my friends rising 3 y/o's. They all develop at different stages! Mine is quite bum high at the minute (like yours) so I expect he has a bit more catching up to do and he's quite narrow still too, so I won't be contemplating breaking him until at least the end of the year. We do however do loads of groundwork (walking, handling, experiencing life as opposed to lunging)

maya2008

Visit site
This little one is rising 3, if that helps for comparison? I know this for sure as bought her as a weanling (with weanling tail etc) and she’s been here ever since! June birthday. She’s bored hence the bareback pad and long reining!

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I think you shouldn't get hung up on his age, he looks like he is going to need another eighteen months to really see what his frame will be.
My Highland colt is three in June, and no where near looking mature, although he has got taller, to be ready to do anything.

Hexan

Visit site
Do you know what is breeding is? I have a rising 3 year old, who will be 3 on the 5th May. Mine looks quite a lot younger and ganglier than some of my friends rising 3 y/o's. They all develop at different stages! Mine is quite bum high at the minute (like yours) so I expect he has a bit more catching up to do and he's quite narrow still too, so I won't be contemplating breaking him until at least the end of the year. We do however do loads of groundwork (walking, handling, experiencing life as opposed to lunging)
Unfortunately I don’t know the breeding of him, it doesn’t say in his passport, but I’ve been told many things that he may be, a thoroughbred cross, cob cross, stand bred cross (which I doubt as he hasn’t got any gaits like them) even have been told that he may have a smidge of Arab? (But I doubt that as well) yes that’s what I’m doing with him too, with the ground work as you’ve stated above. I’m not going to rush him at all and take my time with him, I’m in no rush, just loving and caring for him. Introducing him to various things, we’re loving inhand walking in our area at the minute, we just concurred puddles 🥰 second time round and he was a saint! The roller and saddle was just part of one of many desensitisation work I’ve done with him recently, the closest thing I’ll be doing with him when the weather gets better, is just leaning over his back. As well as mouthing him, he’s got many years to go yet so I’m in no rush, hopefully the more inhand walks in the summer now, will help build his muscles for when I do decide to lightly back him. Haven’t even got a saddle for him yet, I want him to be a baby for as long as possible 🥰

Hexan

Visit site
This little one is rising 3, if that helps for comparison? I know this for sure as bought her as a weanling (with weanling tail etc) and she’s been here ever since! June birthday. She’s bored hence the bareback pad and long reining!
She’s beautiful! She has such a lovely face and kind eyes 🤩

Hexan

Visit site
I think you shouldn't get hung up on his age, he looks like he is going to need another eighteen months to really see what his frame will be.
My Highland colt is three in June, and no where near looking mature, although he has got taller, to be ready to do anything.
it’s more his height I was intrigued with than his age, as I know his age already, just fun having to take a guess and see what he’ll turn out like height wise. I’m happy if he stays the same or bigger, just interesting to see how much he will change 🥰