How much can a Fell pony carry?

MrsElle

Visit site
Blue is 3 in May and we will shortly be introducing him to long reining etc. He has been bitted and worn a roller and OH has sat on him for a few seconds and got off the other side. Blue hasn't batted an eyelid.

However, when it comes to backing and actually riding him I am getting worried. I am rather chunky and while I am fine on 14.2 Chad who is a heavyweight cob, I do worry that I am going to be too heavy for Blue.

I bought him for me to ride, to be my forever pony but I worry that we aren't going to be suited due to size and weight. I am losing weight but very much doubt if I will ever get below 11 stone.

I have all sorts of worries running round my head at the moment, is he ever going to be big enough for me? Should I accept that we aren't meant to be and sell him now? Break him in and sell him? Keep him regardless, even if I can't ride him?

I really am all over the place at the moment, will he be able to carry me? I don't intend to back him until next year anyway so hopefully will be a bit lighter by then.

touchstone

Visit site
Hello, I have a 14hh fell who can easily carry my hubby (not sure how much he weighs though, but a fair bit more than 11 stones!)

At three years old your Fell is going to have a fair bit of growing and filling out to do yet, mine was around 7 years old before looking fully mature.
If I were you I'd carry on as you are and just see how you go when your pony is older. They were bred to carry lead from the mines and do a days shepherding carrying a man over the fells remember! There are lots of adults riding Fells and they do well at endurance etc and I'm sure a fair few riders are over 11 stones.

Try to stop worrying and enjoy him, you can make any decisions further down the line if you feel you need to, but I think you will be surprised at just how capable Fells can be.

Natch

Visit site
To give you something to compare with:

I thought I was too heavy for a 14hh "cob" (read heinz 57 without that much bone) at a riding school I used to go on beach rides at. At the time I weighed 13stone and found the instructor and explained I felt I would be too heavy for him, told her my weight. She said I'd be fine, so I got on him... and the little beggar only went and won the beach race over an arab!
shocked.gif
he carried me fine for 2 hours. I chatted with the YO afterwards and she laughed and again told me I was fine on him. Months later I found out he was more like 13.2 or 3!
blush.gif
He was ace!
grin.gif

I am dying to get on a 14.2 welsh cob with a lot more bone than that, but he is young (5) very green and no muscle. if I ever manage to slim back down to 13stone I will tentatively sit on him and see how he copes.

The difference is of course the fitness and maturity, as if he were older and fit I'd have no hesitation getting on him at 13 stone. Certainly not at 11.

Probably not much help to you at present really, but I hope it gives you a guide to go against.
smile.gif

jens

Visit site
fell ponies do mature at around 7ish. Mine is just coming 7 this year and is finally looking like a solid boy. I think he could comfortably carry my OH now at about 14st. Just be aware of not doing too much with him too young.

MrsElle

Visit site
Thank you all, I am a happy bunny now!

I was just spending time with him today and worrying I might be too big for him - I love him to bits and was just having a 'moment'
smile.gif

I don't intend to back him until he is 4 and he won't be in heavy work, just a bit of light hacking for a year or so after that. I have the rest of his life with him so have plenty of time to let him mature properly.

Thanks all
laugh.gif

HazellB

Visit site
Being skinny myself, I had a 13.3 Welsh type as a Hunter for years and years. One afternoon a rather plump (let us say 12 stone fatty!) friend asked if she could swap from her giddy cob and my little pony happily carried her home.

You'd be shocked at just what they can carry sometimes without any thought. Other people may pull a face and moan at you, but you'd soon know if your animal's overloaded.
Plus, I've often found a youngster will find their balance quicker and better with a slightly heavier rider on for the first month or so. After that, once used to a rider, they don't seem to mind either way so long as they are mounted without being pulled about.

Janette

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They were bred to carry lead from the mines and do a days shepherding carrying a man over the fells remember! There are lots of adults riding Fells and they do well at endurance etc and I'm sure a fair few riders are over 11 stones

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree - don't worry!!!

xxNormanxx

Visit site
My mum rides my fell pony sometimes and shes not exactly skinny (sorry mum!) but Norman copes fine and my mum is quite a novice rider so she rides a lot "heavier" than she actually is. My fell is 14hh and 8 years old and he is built like a tank!

Walrus

Visit site
Loads! My new boy is a smaller fell at 13.2hh, I'm 5'8" and about 11.5 stone. He's 4.5 years old and I'm planning on re-breaking him (he was sat on at 3 and then hasn't done anything) and then having him as my all-rounder. The boy is built like a bus I have no qualms that he will have no trouble with me (or someone heavier) - and after riding skinny Tbs I now have a pony who is going to make my bum look small when we're viewed from behind!!

Maisy

Visit site
I have a little 11.3 fell type pony and she can carry me no problem at all...I am just over 11 stone. She also carries my friend (about 10.5stone) for a couple of hours at a time without any problems at all......

She was bought as a kids pony, but 1)none of my kids are very interested, and 2) she is far too strong for them to ride off the lead!!!

shadowboy

Visit site
MrsElle- your worries are exactly the same as mine- I bought Howie to be my forever fun pony (horses made me too serious and competitive!) but he's still a midget and im worried he wont be big enough for me. I guess if you take it slowly to allow the back muscles to develop and strengthen then ride for short periods first - a fell should be ok I would imagine. Howie is a NF so another native so I shall be keen to hear all your replies.

emmaahm

New User
Visit site
i have a 13.3 fell who is rising 7 this year,my weight is just over 14st an it doesnt bother him in the slighest,he seems comfortable and quite capable of carrying me :)