How much can a Welsh cob carry?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Comfortably 75kg including tack if it's a fit, reasonably well put together mature horse.
Though having said that, there are numerous out there carrying a good deal more than that regularly. They are strong little horses if conditioned correctly. But personally, if said horse was mine, I don't think I'd want more than 75kg on board regularly

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Have decided against my potential plan!

People giving low weights for what British native ponies can carry are doing these breeds a real disservice. We have these brilliant , strong native ponies in this country and if some of the breeds become even more endangered because of people thinking they need a big horse to carry them it will be a real tragedy.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
People giving low weights for what British native ponies can carry are doing these breeds a real disservice. We have these brilliant , strong native ponies in this country and if some of the breeds become even more endangered because of people thinking they need a big horse to carry them it will be a real tragedy.

yes, this ^^

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank never had an issue carrying 85kg hunting, or the other 5 days a week into his twenties....

But he is solid and square in type, was fit, well muscled with good topline. 147.2 cm never weighed him properly.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Well, since I'm only one of two who has actually given a weight on here I'll respond - I specified approx 12 stone and then made it clear that this was my particular preference, and there are many I know that appear to happily carry more.

12 stone is a female, above average height at the top end of being a 'healthy' weight. That captures a lot of potential riders so I don't think is really doing the breed a disservice.

There are plenty of small, slight endurance horses that cart in excess of 14 stone around a demanding FEI endurance competition, but I wouldn't necessarily choose that for my horses.

ester

Visit site
Frank never had an issue carrying 85kg hunting, or the other 5 days a week into his twenties....

But he is solid and square in type, was fit, well muscled with good topline. 147.2 cm never weighed him properly.

I would like to add that despite that I would opt to buy myself something a little bigger now for keeps, but he was bought when I was in my early 20s and a couple of stone lighter :).

DaisyMoo

Visit site
With good fitting tack and a sympathetic rider quite a lot. My sister has a 15.1hh Welsh cob gelding and he happily carries 14ish stone. Schooling, jumping, hacking he does it all. As long as they are fit, healthy and you don't slam around on his back in an unbalanced seat they carry weight just fine :)

rara007

Visit site
My 15hh D who weighed in (not fat and not hard fit) at over 550kg didn't like over 14 stone and happiest under 12, my 13hh C is happy carrying a much larger % of his weight. They're all different!

Nari

Visit site
My 14.2 welsh cob weigh tapes at 380kg - he's not a cobby type - and he easily & happily carries me & I'm quite a bit over the 12 stone that was mentioned earlier. We went for a 2 hour walk (march!) hack today over varied terrain & coming home he was trying to use the other horse jogging to catch up as an excuse to trot, so I'd say he wasn't tired or struggling. Yes I wouldn't want someone much heavier than me on him, but while he's happy to carry me I've seen him unhappy carrying a very light rider who was badly balanced & that did surprise me.

Visit site

Agree. Not being funny but my 12hh new forest carried 10 st when fit. not for long, admittedly, but they would go for mostly trotting hacks over what was sometimes very rocky steep terrain and pony loved it.

Ali27

Visit site
I have a 14.2 Irish cob although she is similar build to Welsh Section D! She weigh tapes at 440kg but weighs 529 on weighbridge. She is Eventing fit but I won't let anyone over 10 1/2 stone ride her!

SO1

Visit site
I don't think there has been enough research on the long term impact of rider weight. AHT is currently doing some research I believe.

Native breeds are changing and some of the types that do well in the show ring are finer ponies with perhaps a more exaggerated movement and they maybe not as strong/tough as perhaps the old style ponies.

Additionally a lot of breeds considered capable of carrying heavier weights are also good doers prone to weight gain so you may end up with a heavier rider on an overweight pony/horse and that may put additional pressure on the joints.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
The 12.3 I'm sitting on for a few mins (Just finished backing) weight tapes at about 320! I think he's very deep though, he feels much bigger than he is, but has no withers so that probably helps.

12.3! My horse I've ridden for the last 13 years is 16.1 :D

I'd love a competent small jockey for him (paying a lady to ride him for me tomorrow) but he needs regular sitting on so he doesn't forget.

Elsbells

Visit site
They're all different, just like us. Trouble is we are to wrapped up with the thought of the fat girl squashing a poor pony when in effect there's many, many ponies out there in the world that are just to much for a kid or light rider, so they are relegated to nothing more than an unused field ornament and companion to a "real" horse. Now tell me that's good for their health and wellbeing?

ester

Visit site
I have a 14.2 Irish cob although she is similar build to Welsh Section D! She weigh tapes at 440kg but weighs 529 on weighbridge. She is Eventing fit but I won't let anyone over 10 1/2 stone ride her!

Can I ask why? has she shown herself uncomfortable with an 11 stone rider? Does she have conformation flaws that means it is an issue? I'm just curious how people come to these decisions or whether it was personal preference.

I also get the feeling that a lot of people don't seem to know what 12/13 odd stone can look like. A 15.2 irish cobx tb on my yard was advertised for share for 11 stone or under, yet I was also invited to ride him and they were shocked when I pointed out the disparity.

Hugo-Boy

Visit site
Welsh aren't stupid. They will soon tell you if they don't want you on their back!

Haha, his made me laugh! My boy made it very clear that he didn't want to be ridden by my OH. OH's a bit on the heavy side but a good rider and more muscle than fat.
Hugo first threw some quite impressive bucks and when that didn't work broke into canter, stopped mid canter and stuck his head between his front legs - OH went straight over.
Luckily he didn't get hurt (except for ego) but he might not ride my boy for a while now :D

Ali27

Visit site
Can I ask why? has she shown herself uncomfortable with an 11 stone rider? Does she have conformation flaws that means it is an issue? I'm just curious how people come to these decisions or whether it was personal preference.

I also get the feeling that a lot of people don't seem to know what 12/13 odd stone can look like. A 15.2 irish cobx tb on my yard was advertised for share for 11 stone or under, yet I was also invited to ride him and they were shocked when I pointed out the disparity.

She is not a big, chunky cob so I don't consider her a weight carrier! I would let a heavier rider potentially hack her at a walk but don't think it is fair to have a heavier rider jump her! I used to be 9 stone 3 but am closer to 10 stone and a half stone now and I'm sure she finds it harder to get optimum time when Eventing now!

ester

Visit site
Thanks Ali, F doesn't have much bone if you take the fluff off but he would probably be considered a similar square stamp to rara's C, compared to her D who was definitely leggier/more sporty in type though still heavy on the scales!