how much can he carry?

alfirules

Visit site
sorry for those who may be fed up with seeing these posts, But, how many stones do u think my 14.2hh welsh cob can carry? i am going away to college and wondering if my dad could possibly ride him! thanks in advance to those who kindly reply to my post!!
here is a pic of my boy;

picsofalfieandscout011.jpg

dwi

Visit site
Depending on the work he was doing I'd say 13 stone max and I wouldn't suggest that for long periods or hard work. My friend's cob has arthiritis because of being ridden by adults that were too heavy in her riding school days. even if it isn't immediately obvious that it would cause a problem I'd be cautious about an adult man regualarly riding a pony.

peanutpussycat

Visit site
this horse was originally used to carry men over the welsh hills and mountains. the same as dartmoors (moors), fells and highlands and shetlads too. they can carry a medium weight man and be perfectly happy. i would say upto 14 stone. (waiting for the abuse!!) I am not saying take it round Burghley, but a gentle hack will do no harm.

Caritas

Visit site
Uhum, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, you wont get any stick from me!! After all we are all different

horsegirl

Visit site
A 14.2 welsh cob can easily carry a grown man, unless your Dad is a real heavyweight or your horse is really elderly he should be fine to ride him.

parsley

Visit site
I think that it depends on how your dad rides as well - a sack of spuds is a very different proposition from a rider who can help carry themselves. I was told that about 10% of the horses weight it OK.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt want to put anymore than 10 stone on him if i was honest!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I would disagree with that. My 14.2 was Anglo-Arab, so a much lighter build, (although I appreciate that arabs have such bone density that they say they are good weight carriers for their build) and he was quite happy regularly being ridden my my mum who is very tall and slim, but over that; and he would jump with that weight on him too. This was not a horse who would jump, or do anything if he was remotely unhappy. My weight varied greatly in the years that I owned him - but he would jump with me even on my heavier phases. I think that this horse would carry more than 10st easy!!

mariond

Visit site
welsh cobs have been used as shepherding ponies on the hills for centuries and are more than capable of carrying a mans weight in fact a lot of hill farmers(probably lighter weight ones) would use an even smaller section a to shepherd with though most now use the ATV instead.

burtie

Visit site
As long as you dad is a good rider I would say easily up to 14 stone, but remember if he is not used to carrying this weight to build up riding time gradually.

horsegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was told that about 10% of the horses weight it OK.

[/ QUOTE ]
10% that's crazy, that means a 550kg TB can only carry 8st 9lbs

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
<span style="color:purple">I think in ye olden days you'd measure the diameter of the bone just below the knee and double it - so if your horse/pony has 6 inches of bone (oo-err missus) it could carry 12 stone.

Hmm, at that rate I'd need an elephant LOL

parsleys right tho' it does depend on how the rider carries themself in the saddle. I remember a riding instructor freaking out at a 13 stone adult riding one of the cobs, who'd spent the lesson with his tail sticking straight out and his eyes bulging with the strain - I weighed 14 stone at the time and regularly rode that cob no problem
</span>

spider

community.webshots.com
Oh he's a sweetie. Very similar build to mine. When RDA considered using him they suggested a weight limit of 11 stone, but those riders would not necessarily be very balanced and he was only 5 at the time. A male instructor who was quite tall used to ride him sometimes and I'm guessing he would have been around 12 stone. I asked him not to jump though.