How much Communication when a Horse is on Schooling livery

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Hi I was Just Wondering how much communication people expect when your horse is away on schooling livery for example photos or a text to say they are doing okay or what they have been up to, I own an animal care business including horses so very used to updating owners Daily as I understand the feeling of worrying, I think im feeling a bit paranoid about my horse going away and not hearing anything 🙈 I know no news is good news and they are probably very busy im just overthinking!!

Burnerbee

Visit site
How long has your horse been away? I think I’d expect to hear how they’d settled in and then once a week, perhaps twice to begin with, especially if you know there are significant challenges involved

Time for Tea

Visit site
I sent my ponies away to be backed, and they have returned there since for schooling. I receive reports twice weekly, on the whole. I would certainly expect weekly. If someone is running a business schooling animals keeping in touch with clients is part of that.

Kaylum

Visit site
Just message and ask. How long is the horse away for because I would also be going over to watch regularly checking the horse is OK and making sure progress is being made. We would be working closely with the client and making sure they are happy.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
He has been away for nearly a week Ive messaged twice and Just have a reponse of Hes fine this is his first time away and I think its just me being so used to sendin
Just message and ask. How long is the horse away for because I would also be going over to watch regularly checking the horse is OK and making sure progress is being made. We would be working closely with the client and making sure they are happy.
Ive tried talking to her Hes been gone nearly a week, I havent been to the yard or met the owner myself it may seem silly but I have been very ill so hes gone for training while im recovering my mum took him down there, I have Messaged just to see how hes settled in and I just keep getting one word messages "Hes fine" its probably me being silly but hes quite a young horse and Im so used to giving owners daily updates myself I think I just have a bit of a higher paranoia

Kaylum

Visit site
He has been away for nearly a week Ive messaged twice and Just have a reponse of Hes fine this is his first time away and I think its just me being so used to sendin

Ive tried talking to her Hes been gone nearly a week, I havent been to the yard or met the owner myself it may seem silly but I have been very ill so hes gone for training while im recovering my mum took him down there, I have Messaged just to see how hes settled in and I just keep getting one word messages "Hes fine" its probably me being silly but hes quite a young horse and Im so used to giving owners daily updates myself I think I just have a bit of a higher paranoia
Well be very careful and get over when you can. There are so many stories about horses going downhill fast from lack of care. I am sure you don't need me to tell you that. Make sure they work with you and you have a contract in place.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’d certainly expect more than ‘He’s fine.’

Why did you send him to a place that you’ve never visited or to a YO that you’ve never met?

I’d be wanting to know what exactly, if anything, they are doing with him and how long per day they are working him. Just 20 mins ridden work a day is not uncommon at schooling livery 🙄.

I suggest going for a visit ASAP if your health allows.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site

Why did you send him to a place that you’ve never visited or to a YO that you’ve never met?

I’d be wanting to know what exactly, if anything, they are doing with him and how long per day they are working him. Just 20 mins ridden work a day is not uncommon at schooling livery 🙄.

I suggest going for a visit ASAP if your health allow

I have been ill for quite sometime so after talking to my instructor it seemed the best place for him, I have friends who work closely with her so I know hes well looked after, Luckily he isnt there for too long and Im planning on trying to get up in the next few days if I can, The place is a well known Training Yard so I know he is in safe hands and will be well worked, Its Just the lack of Communication Im struggling with 🙈

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

I suggest going for a visit ASAP if your health allows.
The OP did explain why the horse was sent away.

oldie48

Visit site
I've only ever sent horses away to people I know and who know the horse so perhaps a different experience. I'd expect to get a message at least once a week and generally have had a message more frequently often including a video. I think I'd just ask for more info, you are, after all, the client.

Ali27

Visit site
My rising 4 year old has been away for backing and I get pictures/ videos and updates 4/5 times a week which I love getting! I would be calling them tomorrow and also arranging a visit asap!

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
I guess until you need schooling livery you are not familiar with people who provide schooling livery. I know that many trainers don’t have facilities of their own so just because you train with someone doesn’t mean they could take your horse on schooling livery.
Yeah Thank you! Im not familiar with people in my area who do schooling livery, We have no school or the right facilites on an old farm so it was only in his best interests for him to go for training especially being a young horse, This Yard is about 1hr and a bit from me and was reccomended.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
My rising 4 year old has been away for backing and I get pictures/ videos and updates 4/5 times a week which I love getting! I would be calling them tomorrow and also arranging a visit asap!
Thank you, Yes I have been in contact again asking for a photo and some more information on what hes been up to etc sadly its not possible for me to visit but he is coming home hopefully
next week.

Kaylum

Visit site
Thank you, Yes I have been in contact again asking for a photo and some more information on what hes been up to etc sadly its not possible for me to visit but he is coming home hopefully
next week.
When we did schooling livery we got the client to ride a few times first to make sure they were happy, as when they are home they can turn into different horses again without supervision/pointers.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
When we did schooling livery we got the client to ride a few times first to make sure they were happy, as when they are home they can turn into different horses again without supervision/pointers.
Yeah sadly its not possible for me to get down there, but it was more for his training to see the world a bit more and to go on a bit of a holiday then to fix something.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you! I just dont want to seem annoying messaging for updates 🙈
I never ever had to prompt where mine went she was brilliant made contact with me everyday saying what she did and how he went with a few videos.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what they are doing each day, just to reply his fine is pretty poor and I wouldn't be happy.

It would make me wonder if they are actually doing anything.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Yeah since hes gone I messaged once the day after to make sure hes settled in and again today Just asking how hes doing I would love daily updates and have put off constantly messaging as she doesnt always reply but ive messaged this evening asking for a bit more information on what hes doing and possibly a photo so fingers crossed

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Yeah since hes gone I messaged once the day after to make sure hes settled in and again today Just asking how hes doing I would love daily updates and have put off constantly messaging as she doesnt always reply but ive messaged this evening asking for a bit more information on what hes doing and possibly a photo so fingers crossed
Fingers crossed 🤞