How much did you pay for your horses?

Visit site
Bit of a nosey post haha but just out of interest how much did you pay for them? I have just bought Hattie a 7yo cob 15.2hh for £500, passed her vetting with flying colours but she is a project to bring on after being out of work for a year.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
15.2 welsh x cob 7 yr old been there done it £800 incl tack now 22 and still going strong

14hh Arab x welsh ex competition pony free to good home now 24 and retired pet.

11hh pony fab first pony will never be sold £300

14.2 highland colt foal £350

Palamino filly part bred Arab to make 15.2hh £100

That's my current crew

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In the order that they were purchased.

1981 £1000 - hunter
1983 £150 - Section D colt
1994 £1000 - ID colt

2004 9k
2011 £1000 ID foal
2012 £250 to save a life
2012 £3,500 cob

Dumbo

Visit site
£2800 4yo New forest.... Very much ripped off and he was swiftly returned!
£1200 Tb. Again, over priced for what he was on paper but he's my horse of a life time.
£2000 fjord.

Katastrophy

Visit site
£1500 for a TB X Connie then 8yo mare, somewhat loopy, fast and great fun- heart of a lion and a grotty bag in the stable.

Foal bred from her- £250 stud fee for an unproven just-broken 3yo with lovely paces, well put together and a great jump, stallion that went on to event at 1* Foal now 6 and my star in the making!

TB mare, very well bred, 7 yo, £1700... I was an idiot! Sold for £1000 a year or so later.

Welsh X pony for driving- £800, developed an awful wind sucking habit when separated from above TB mare... Gave back to her breeder two years after I bought her- she's happy there.

Shetland- £250, driving pony, lost him to strangles a year later.

Welsh D for driving trials- great starter driving pony for me, loads of issues (some already present, some developed/found since then) but safe as houses on the marathon and kept me safe too- £3500. Now on loan in my spare stable.

Think that's my lot...

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
£950 on my little Arab, 14 years ago now. My dream horse, B, is worth £30,000 and rising (he's only 5) so that one will probably stay a pipe dream unless I win the lottery :p

skint1

Visit site
I paid too much for my daughter's ex racers, lovely as they are!

For this handsome beastie however, I paid princely sum of a shiny £1.00

Alex%20Autumn%202015_zpsstjssled.jpg

Equine_Dream

Visit site
My 8 year old sec C gelding was £500. He was a complete bargain for that price and worth a lot more. Hes 110% bombproof and an absoloutly gorgeous little chap.

My 4 year old Sec D mare was £1500. I know thats quite a lot for a 4yr old but she is worth every penny. Brave and safe to hack, amazing jumper, and a stunning palomino to boot.

dibbin

Visit site
First horse - just broken 15hh 4yo SecD cross, temperament to die for - £1,200

Second - 15hh 8yo TBX, done riding club stuff, XC, SJ, perfect ground manners but mad as a brush to ride - £1,300

Third - 16.1hh 6yo ISH, fairly green, lovely person, beautiful mover, nicely bred but sensitive so a bit tricky to ride - £3,250

All geldings :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
First pony 14hh pb welsh, given her as she was outgrown but didn't want to sell, she was about 10 years old, best pony ever!! Bred from her for a stud fee of £150. My sect d gelding I paid £2500 for and my minis were £400 each, I have three.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Frankie has a bit of a back story! He was bought as a weanling and had a lovely home till he was about 2 and a half, then they had to cut down on numbers so sold him to someone who was going to back and bring him on as a riding horse the next year. She lost her job and gifted him to a "rescue" for £1. The "rescue was actually 2 women living off benefits who were getting horses on tick from the local meat man and rehoming them for £6/7/8/900. Nice little earner especially as they weren't paying their rent on the yard or paying the meat man etc.

They had only had him a couple of weeks when they got a repossession order and a serious threat from the meat man. It all kicked off on Facebook, and I'd spotted him when he arrived and loved the look of him. At the time I was recovering from a fractured spine and was in a full metal back brace, I'd also just lost one of my horses who I found dead in the field :( I wasnt sure how well I would walk and wanted something that would drive, not that I should have been buying anything at that point!

I went to view him, knowing that come what may I'd be buying him to get him out of there. He cost me £500. I swing between feeling ripped off and like I got the bargain of a lifetime! :lol: On paper it was an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do! And nearly 3 yrs down the line hes probably not that suitable, but I adore him!

Not really what you asked for, so the condensed version is he cost me £500 but they gave me £20 lucky money back, so £480 really :)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Blimey! I think I've been ripped off...

4.5k for a 4 year old class 1 Connemara bought at the start of November. He has proved all he is worth already though so I'm currently very happy, and very poor!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Never paid more than £2500 for a horse.

Millie 13.3 New Forest, first purchased at 7 years old in 2009 for £1500, then sold her in 2011 for £1800. Bought her back in 2013 for £900, then sold her earlier this year for £800 to the perfect home for her.

Beetle, 16.2 TB non ex racer gelding, bred to event. 12 years old, bought for £2500.

Then most recently Izzy, 5yr old 15.2 Welsh PBA for £2500. She's very much been a big learning curve for me, but I'd hope she will be worth twice as much as she gets older :)

Spottyappy

Visit site
Never more than £1500.
Current ones cost £1500, £1000 (county standard Welsh cobs) £900 coloured mare, free new forest mare. All of those were unbacked when we got them.
£1300 rid mare, who was backed but daughter was working for the dealer who was selling her and got "staff discount" last year.

teddypops

Visit site
I have 7 ponies and in total they cost me £1530! That's a TB x welsh, Arab x, sec D, TB, Connemara, sec A and a miniature Shetland!

Visit site
Frankie has a bit of a back story! He was bought as a weanling and had a lovely home till he was about 2 and a half, then they had to cut down on numbers so sold him to someone who was going to back and bring him on as a riding horse the next year. She lost her job and gifted him to a "rescue" for £1. The "rescue was actually 2 women living off benefits who were getting horses on tick from the local meat man and rehoming them for £6/7/8/900. Nice little earner especially as they weren't paying their rent on the yard or paying the meat man etc.

They had only had him a couple of weeks when they got a repossession order and a serious threat from the meat man. It all kicked off on Facebook, and I'd spotted him when he arrived and loved the look of him. At the time I was recovering from a fractured spine and was in a full metal back brace, I'd also just lost one of my horses who I found dead in the field :( I wasnt sure how well I would walk and wanted something that would drive, not that I should have been buying anything at that point!

I went to view him, knowing that come what may I'd be buying him to get him out of there. He cost me £500. I swing between feeling ripped off and like I got the bargain of a lifetime! :lol: On paper it was an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do! And nearly 3 yrs down the line hes probably not that suitable, but I adore him!

Not really what you asked for, so the condensed version is he cost me £500 but they gave me £20 lucky money back, so £480 really :)

Wow what a story! He's one lucky horse

CowCob

Visit site
CC was £350 and she'll be off doing BSJA Newc and BE100 next year with maybe a couple of BSJA Fox's at the end of the season depending on how she goes. Defo got very lucky in buying her considering I was just wanting her for hacking and the fact she's just a standard cob type with no breeding! It took a long time to get her where she is but I wouldn't be without her. Very talented mare she is, however much of a sod she can be at times!

I almost had a heart attack when someone offered to buy her from me, lets just say I would never even dream of paying as much as they offered.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
First two who are no longer with us were 1200/1400 then.it's

£3000 for a novice ride for my brother to ride and then taught my sister xc and sj and got my hacking confidence back

£1200 for my wb mare who is now retired

Got gifted the little Welsh pony who lived out his last.nine months having a blast

Paid £500 donation to the charity we got the ex racer from

£3000 for two full brothers, one we sadly lost eight months later two cushings induced lami aged eight.

£1600 for my latest who was a splurge by my dad :/

Never vetted any and all have done the jobs we wanted.

elliejhb

Visit site
My boy was gifted to me from his previous owner, I'd been part loaning him for a year previous and told her I was in a position to buy, still can't believe he's mine!
But what he lacked in purchasing price he's made up with vets bills!

Feival

Visit site
Buzz was only the market for 6k and more than worth it, but due to who was selling him and who I worked for at the time I paid £3,250 Winnie I payed a measly £150.

Enfys

Visit site
Never paid more than $5K

I have been given a few, and bartered a few, I swapped an ATV (which didn't work) for a stunning palomino AQHA, new Paso Fino cost me a saddle, and another horse cost me 2 weeks teaching at summer camp. :)

Irish gal

Visit site
I got £10 given back to me in his passport! Also an Irish cob, don't know if that's a thing with Irish sellers.

You're right Cinnamontoast! It's called a 'luck penny', and is all part of the etiquette of buying and selling here. From the fairs originally and I suppose the idea is to bestow luck on you and the horse. Must say though a tenner is a bit measly £20 at least would be more like it!

Leo Walker

Visit site
You're right Cinnamontoast! It's called a 'luck penny', and is all part of the etiquette of buying and selling here. From the fairs originally and I suppose the idea is to bestow luck on you and the horse. Must say though a tenner is a bit measly £20 at least would be more like it!

Happens in the NE as well, although buying Frankie was the first time it ever happened to me. They just shoved me £20 and said "here is your lucky money"

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
£1950 for my 15.2hh sport horse mare as a 3yo, now 8 and has competed be100, novice BD, hunts, showjumps- you name it, plus she's quite pretty!
Then £2250 for my well bred 5yo wb x tb, out of a 4* event mare by a European gold medal winning dressage pony. She's quirky and an awkward size (15hh) hence her price, but now that I've developed a good relationship with her she's been the most amazing bargain ever! She's going to be a bit special, have already been offered a lot more than what we bought her for.
I don't like spending much on my horses as its too much pressure- we once spent 5 figures on a be novice horse, and yes she taught me a lot and I had great fun with her, but everyone knew her and expected us to be awesome- I've found it's way better to be the underdog!