how much do they train

parsley

Visit site
I have only just started going to some local shows in the last few weeks with my son. He goes in the M&M, first ridden etc and generally does his best but we are novices and it really shows! But I am amazed by some of the little ponies in particular they and the children riding them seem like very well oiled machines - how much do these ponies and children train???? In some ways I am very admiring of them as it must take dedication to be that perfect, although in others I have been a bit concerned listening to the barrage of critisism the child gets from the parents/grandparents etc before, during and after the classs (although I went to a lovey show yesterday where generally people were very happy).

How do they do it? (not that we will be copying - not competitive enough
blush.gif
)

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I have to admit to my daughter training most nights when we were competing like that. I used to make it fun, she rode to music etc but we were very much a team and if I didn't want to stand in the freezing school and watch her ride she moaned!
Competing is like anything else, the more you put in the easier it becomes.
That same pony has since been in three loan homes, given lots of kids the most fantastic competition experience, and worse of all, just as he got to the stage of jumping anything without swerving, doing a perfect dressage test etc, my own daughter rapidly outgrew him....
frown.gif

parsley

Visit site
i don't think my son is dedicated enough to ride every night - and I haven't got time but I feel very admiring of people who can. It does show in their performance.

teapot

Visit site
You'll find that some (definately NOT all) of the ponies are ridden by the parents themselves, say whilst the kids are at school.

I was amazed at how many adults were warming up the show ponies at hickstead this year.