how much do you feed....

horsey mad matt

Visit site
just wandering what you guys feed you neds, what workload they are in, are thy in or out, what rugs do they have on if any at all

my 15.2hh irish x 6 year old, light work and heavy weight rug out 24/7 get once daily:

bucket - 1 stubbs scp spedi-beet
1/3 scp livery pencils
2/3 scp bran

tub trug - 4 scp hi-fi original

1/3 bale good hay

soulfull

Visit site
Is there a reason you ask??

15.3hh WB 7yrs light to medium work. He is quite porky atm

8 -10 hours turnout day time. 200g rug

almost ad lib haylage

1/4 scoop mollichop light
1/4 scoop cool mix
1/4 scoop speedi beet
joint supplement
vit mineral supplement

I add a few response cubes when I work him harder

x2 feeds a day

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Rosie is a 14hh 9 yr old cob who is an extreme good doer in light work at mo due to no saddle currently she is on:
1/4 stubbs scoop of hifi original,
450g Lo cal
1 Carrot
1 Scoop Garlic

7kg of hay.

She is quite overweight atm. But is loosing it *yay*

Oh she is out from bout 10ish till 3.30 with no rug no matter what the weather.

Last edited:

MosMum

Visit site
Mo is Arab/cob 2 yr old, 14hh
Out 24/7 with medium weight rug, not in work, he looks a bit too good for this time of year really so decreasing hard feed slowly

2 scoops Sugarbeet
1 scoop pasture mix
1 scoop hi-fi
1 scoop garlic chaff
Ad-lib haylage

Blue is a 12 yr old 15.3hh TB ex-racer, a bit underweight atm, so not really in work, out in the day with hw rug

3 scoops sugarbeet
1 scoop pasture mix
1 scoop rolled barley
1 scoop hi-fi
1 scoop garlic chaff
Linseed Oil
Adlib haylage

SmartieBean09

Visit site
14hh 27 yr old Anglo Arab. Ridden lightly. Very stressy and drops weight easily.

Turned out for 3-4 hours daily on poor grazing in heavy weight rug.

Fed twice daily:

1 scp Alfa
1/2 scp Build Up Mix
1/2 mug of Baileys Lo Cal

with corn oil and cider vinegar.

Over night she has 8kg hay and a tub trug of Readigrass.

Tr0uble

Visit site
My two, 1 WBxISH and 1 full ID, both 17hh, one rising 8, t'other rising 4...

1.5 Stubbs scoops of Alfa A Molasses free
1 stubbs scoop Speedibeet
Winningedge Silver complete supplement (powder)

The above is split between 2 feeds.

WBx gets ad lib hay

ID gets ad lib hay during the day and enough haylage at night that he always has loads left.

Neither are in work at the moment due to my knee injury, when in work I feed about the same, maybe up the quantity a little as and when they need it. I feed for the work they have done, not what they are going to do.

JANANI

Visit site
15.1hh TB in medium work.
No rugs as not clipped.
1/2 bale of hay, and three scoops of cool and condition split over two feeds.

Can I ask you why you are feed bran. I remember from my BHS stage 2 exams many years ago as you shouldn't feed as it prevented asborption of calcium. Maybe thoughts have changed over the years?

bitlessbill

Visit site
Bill is in light work, turned out overnight from 5pm - 10am.

He gets 1 scoop Hi Fi Light,
1 mug Balancer.
3 carrots
twice per day

also 2 sections of hay when in daytime

TGM

Visit site
16hh warmblood who hunts and competes, in at nights:

2.7kg Spiller's Response Slow Release Energy Cubes (divided into three meals a day)
Ad lib hay

14.3hh Connemara X, light hacking, in at nights, good doer:

Handful of Speedibeet to hold a supplement, twice a day
One section of hay in the field (poor grazing), one section in stable at 5pm, and two sections at 9pm

Spyda

Visit site
I'd loose the bran altogether and up the pencils to 1 scoop and continue feeding everything else.

The bran is rather pointless to feed, plus unbalances the Ca:ph ratio. Best to loose that from what you're feeding. :)

hmeikle

Visit site
I have a 16.1 lightweight warmblood who is a difficult to keep condition on but she also goes "mental" if you feed her anything at all heating. So she gets:

3 times per day:
1 scoop slow release cooling nuts
1 scoop alfa a

plus Original Balancer (3 scoops), glucosamine supplement and a cup of vegetable oil.

Also as much hay and haylage as she will eat.

Is out during the day (normally half a day) and in over night.

ThePony

Visit site
Noticed from another thread that you are after cutting your costs - wondering why you are feeding a tub trug of hifi as well as hay? If you need more forage then I would up your hay, but no need imho to feed all that hifi too.

14yo cbxtb mare, light work, good doer, could do to loose just a little bit - her work is increasing to sort this. Blanket clip, medium weight with neck in the day, medium weight no neck at night. Out daylight hours with sparse grazing, a slice of hay given in the field if there is frost. Two large slices of small bale hay overnight, as well as a small stubbs scoop of soaked kwikibeet and a home made supp mix. She has kwiki beet as she shows v slight sensitivity to alfafa chaff (she doesn't have shoes so it shows up easily!)

9yo connie x tb light/medium work, good doer - though not quite such a good doer as the one above! Happy with her weight. Hunter clip, snuggy hood and 100g turnout no neck in the day, 100g or 150g with neck at night (she runs v warm and although it appears I under rug her, anymore and she would break out in a sweat!). Out daylight hours with sparse grazing, a slice of hay given in the field. Two large slices of small bale hay overnight that has been steamed, as well as a small stubbs scoop of no molasses chaff and a home made supp mix. She doesn't have the kwiki beet as it sends her a bit silly!

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
My 25yr 17hh wb x tb, out 24/7 in HW rug, in light work is fed:

1 round scoop veteran vitality pellets (before being soaked)
1/2 round scoop speedi-beet
1 heaped round scoop alfa-a mollasass (sp?) free
Sprinkling of garlic
Palm full of seaweed

He is fed this once a day and has ad lib good quality hay in the field.

He dropped a little bit of weight over winter purely because i was trying to find a feed that suited him (as low i sugar as possible as he was extremely sore footed due to too much sugar) but is doing fantastic on this feed and putting the weight back on at just the right rate.

belle31

Visit site
16.1hh tb prone to colic:

2kg Slobber Mash (1kg- AM 1kg- PM)
Biopro probiotic supplement

13.0hh conemmara x welsh

1 handful molichaf
1/4 cup hi fibre nuts
1 handful hifi lite
garlic

twice a day

K27

Visit site
Mine who are good doers get: they are fed twice daily, i feed them by their body condition so sometimes it is adjusted!

(In medium work)
17.3 i.d xt.b x Clydesdale (I.S.H) 10yrs
3/4 Scoop Alfa Oil
1/4 scoop Spillers Slow Release energy cubes

16.2 i.d x tb 15 yrs- same feed as above!

They also get Pink Powder for extra vits/mins as on way less than what they should be eating according to the manufacturers recommendations!, a tablespoon of Linseed Oil added as well, cortaflex and garlic &Mint Supp.

They are on top quality ryegrass haylage so they need less hard feed- my 17.3 gets 6kilos eve normally around 6.30-7pm, 4kg a.m, 4kg lunch and an armful to snack on at 5pm.
My 16.2 gets 5.5 kg eve, 4kg am and 4kg lunch and some to snack on at 5pm.

My youngster gets a handful of happy hoof twice daily and 3/4 mug per feed of grow and win balancer, plus lightly soaked meadow hay 3 times a day- pretty much ad-lib amounts for him.

Rugs- the older 2 are fully clipped so wear about 3 rugs at the mo, but they are rugged depending on the weather- my youngster has a rug on at night and in the field.

Last edited:

SavingGrace

Visit site
15hh Section D x Dutch Warmblood

Fed - double handful of Alfa A soaked with tapwater
Rug - 115gm stable rugh with 200gm amigo turnout rug on top!
Forage - Turned out 9am - 3pm, 1 large haylage net overnight! (around 20lbs)

Firewell

Visit site
Full up 16hh 5yr old TB in medium work with a high chaser clip.

Rugs 1x250g with neck - 2x400g depending on weather

Turned out every day for 6 hours on lush grass
1 net of haylage at night

1 scoop HiFi
1 1/2 mugs lo cal balancer
Veg oil
Salt
Carrots
X 2 per day

3 handfuls of economy meadow nuts in his ball at night

He looks a picture, he is shiny, well muscled and not too fat or too thin :)

Pipkin

Visit site
Mo is Arab/cob 2 yr old, 14hh
Out 24/7 with medium weight rug, not in work, he looks a bit too good for this time of year really so decreasing hard feed slowly

2 scoops Sugarbeet
1 scoop pasture mix
1 scoop hi-fi
1 scoop garlic chaff
Ad-lib haylage

Blue is a 12 yr old 15.3hh TB ex-racer, a bit underweight atm, so not really in work, out in the day with hw rug

3 scoops sugarbeet
1 scoop pasture mix
1 scoop rolled barley
1 scoop hi-fi
1 scoop garlic chaff
Linseed Oil
Adlib haylage

Thats ALOT of feed (imo)

My guys

Ayla and Roxy get the same, both 16.1-16.3, good to do, in light work
twice daily
1/4 speedi beet
1/2 pasture mix
1/2 Hifi good doer

Beau,15.1 , not in work too young for all that :D
1/4 speedi beet
1/4 pasture mix
1/2 good doer

all get pink powder

posie_honey

Visit site
16hh heinz57 lives out 24/7 365 clipped

in fleece and 450gm full neck rug at mo as is blatic here and snow covered ground

ad lib good quality hay

feed - twice a day =

handful of cheapest chaff i can find
½ scoop baileys No4 nuts
5 D&H equibites for vits and mins
apple & carrot

ETA - i blieve in good quality ad lib forage first and foremost - then only add feed if horse needs it. i also belive in small feeds and that many people feed too much and the poor horse a) can't digest it all so most is wasted and b) the horse is full from too much hard feed so wont eat enough forage so is essentially eating/absorbing/digesting less than if they were on ad lib forage

Last edited:

KatB

Visit site
My Mare is a 15.3hh ISH rising 6. Relatively good doer. She is in medium work, and is SJing at Discovery level.

She is in at night and out in the day.

She has ad lib haylage overnight (about 8kg) plus about 2kg in the field.

She gets 1 stubbs scoop of very wet speedibeet
1/2 scoop of Allen and Page Power and performance
2 flat scoop of Molichaff calmer chaff.
She also gets 1 measure of Garlic and More from horse first, for her salt/vits mins top up as she doesn't get the recommended amount of P+P, and has electrolytes added when needed. This is split over 2 feeds a day, with her evening feed the only one she has her P+P in.

She is fully clipped, and rugged according to the weather ;) She is shiny, well muscled and condition scores at about a 3. :) I am currently reducing the haylage she has in the field so she drops a bit of weight before being moved fields to spring grazing!

horsey mad matt

Visit site
Noticed from another thread that you are after cutting your costs - wondering why you are feeding a tub trug of hifi as well as hay? If you need more forage then I would up your hay, but no need imho to feed all that hifi too.

i have a big bag of hi-fi anyway cos was feeding him that already and as i have it i thought i may as well use it now because in a month or two (when the weather gets better) he wont have food. so give him that and less hay to save buying more hay. hope that makes sense.

horsey mad matt

Visit site
Can I ask you why you are feed bran. I remember from my BHS stage 2 exams many years ago as you shouldn't feed as it prevented asborption of calcium. Maybe thoughts have changed over the years?

i was told that it was a good thing to feed as when they are having hay they can get a bit bunged up sometimes so it can be a very slight laxertive just to help a little.

ThePony

Visit site
i have a big bag of hi-fi anyway cos was feeding him that already and as i have it i thought i may as well use it now because in a month or two (when the weather gets better) he wont have food. so give him that and less hay to save buying more hay. hope that makes sense.

Ah right, that makes sense! I worried you were spending out on masses of Hifi to up his feed, would cost you loads to feed that through the year!

monkeybum13

Visit site
16.3 5yo mare.
Mixture of in 24/7 and out in the day.

One feed a day consisting of 1 mug of baileys lo cal balancer, 25ml of oestress and a very small handful of mollichaff herbal just to mix the oestress in.

A good 3/4 slices of hay overnight, currently being soaked.
If in during the day her hay is double netted to last longer (on the floor overnight)

Rugs - as light as possible.

Work - light work (in my books anyway) - worked 6 times a week, fit enough that if I wanted to take her hunting the odd couple of times she would cope :)

Last edited:

Lynnie1

Visit site
I also have a 16.0 7yr old lightweight warmblood showjumper (foxhunter +) who is a difficult to keep condition on but she also goes "mental" if you feed her anything at all heating. So she gets the following:

As much hay as she will eat
2 scoops Pony nuts
2 scoops Graze on or Ready Grass
600grms Blue Chip Pro
Plus Magnitude and Garlic suplements

My other horse is 16.1 7 yr old Irish Sports horse showjumper (British Novice). Not a particularly good dooer and can be spooky but not 'hot' like the warmblood.

She gets same as above less the Magnitude.

Both out during the day and in over night. Fully clipped and rugged to the eyeballs. :)

Cash

Visit site
16hh 8yo TB gelding, ridden or lunged 5-6 times weekly, currently increasing workload/intensity so he'll be super fit for spring competitions :) But already fairly ok fitness I reckon- fine for what he does. He is fizzy but not really a stresser, this is my first winter with him and I'm pleasantly surprised at what a good doer he is.
Pretty chilled at the moment and weight has been really good all winter, I think due to small amounts of hard feed and lots of forage- keeps him sane!
Currently out about 10hrs daily, in at night.

Ad lib haylage at night (always has some left over) and some in the field during the day, but our grass is pretty good at the moment so he usually prefers that anyway- haylage there as an option but he seems to prefer rolling in it :rolleyes:
Feed:
AM: 1 v small handful pony nuts, 1 v small handful Alfa A Oil, carrots
PM: Same as morning but slightly larger handfuls of both feeds.
Blanket clipped...rugged appropriately ;) but usually so he is on 'the cool side of warm' if that makes sense. Currently in LW turnout (70g ish) as it's quite warm here at the moment, never been cold when I've checked.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
interesting thread!

surprised to see how much feed some horses get?!!

heres mine...

16hh belgian warmblood in light/medium work (good doer with chaser clip)

feed:
3 haynets of haylage (2 large, 1 medium)
approx 4-5 handfuls of hi-fi
1 scoop of biotal probiotic supplement
2 scoops garlic supplement
turnout:5-7 hours poor grazing at the moment

Last edited: