How much do you love your horse?

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
OK, my sister has two horses, both of which have cost her nearly 20,000 euro on vets bills. First horse worked out, so still ridden, second horse, not so good. He's alive, but not ever been ridden again. I love my horse so so much, but if I ever had to go down that road, I just wouldnt have the money. It;s really sad but I couldnt provide the same level of care as she does. I really do love my horse, but at what point is too much. xx

Lolo

Visit site
Would your horse know if you spent that money? Or if you turned around and had to have them PTS, they would die having been loved as much as your sister loves her horses, just for less time.

That's my school of thought. You don't show love by prolonging life, you show it in everyday love and care and trust. So spending $20000 and spending $200 is all the same to a horse as long as the life they've lived up til that point has been good.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Would your horse know if you spent that money? Or if you turned around and had to have them PTS, they would die having been loved as much as your sister loves her horses, just for less time.

That's my school of thought. You don't show love by prolonging life, you show it in everyday love and care and trust. So spending $20000 and spending $200 is all the same to a horse as long as the life they've lived up til that point has been good.

This. Absolutely. :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Tbh, I have one horse who I love so much, and if she became unrideable I would never consider pts (unless it would be in her own best interests). Much as it would be less than desirable never to ride again (I doubt I would afford to ever get another) I would never be able to say goodbye and end her life when she is happy and content living a retired life. She will remain with me so long as she is so, whatever the situational cost to myself (and obviously financial cost to myself, to the extent I would be able to).

I don't think those that would consider pts to focus on another horse to be out of order though, they just have different priorities and aspirations, and they should follow those and go with it.

Mondy

Visit site
I love my horse enough to turn pretty lethal to keep him safe - but I also love him enough to make the tough call necessary to keep him free from pain or distress.

I guess you owe them that. I could afford veterinary bills, but I'm not sure I'd subject my 20+ year old pony to the hassle. His happiness must come before my own.

Ali27

Visit site
I love my horse so much (have had her since a 4year old and she is now 15) that now she has had a tendon injury/ torn manica flexoria I wouldn't ever risk trying to ride her again. I would never forgive myself if she reinjured it and she would be no good as light hack as not great in traffic. She is now going to be a field ornament for the rest of her days so long as she is sound/ pain free in field! She is kept on livery and I can't afford another one too but do have my daughter's 14.2 to ride sometimes:) I would also do the same for her!

1stclassalan

Visit site
Ah, had slightly different thoughts when I opened this thread but you young'uns can have a laugh at this old blokes views.

Firstly, when I was very small, I'd often say "I love you Mummy" and be far too clingy for a parent in the 1940's especially for a boy but she'd join in and ask "how much" and I'd always say "ten tons and a bucket" - godknows where I picked that up from - but it has stayed with me forever!

If ever we're watching a film and an appropriate scene turns up - say, the heroine asking "how much do you love me" .....all my family look at me and shout "ten tons and a bucket"!

I'm not ashamed of this, in fact I openly admit to being completely and ridiculously in love with my old mare in that I would do things for her, look after her. pay for her, think of her - completely without expectation of anything in return - apart from her being herself - a lovely horse!

She didn't ever cost major bills but was a huge drain on my almost non-existent finances during two periods in my life with her so I suppose you can class me right up the lunatic end of the spectrum - I'm very glad to be there and wouldn't change for the world.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd do anything for mine provided it didn't harm my daughter, I love her to bits. I don't think you can measure it in what you'd spend though, someone could make major sacrifices to have £300 of treatment on a horse they adore, someone very well off might spend £ks on a horse that emotionally they aren't attached to.

teasle

Visit site
Enough to get up early every day to attend to him , and again in the evening, and to pay for him to have what he needs , and to spend my leisure time with him , and try to make him content.