How much do you pay for large round hay?

DirectorFury

Visit site
Per bale, and if you can say where you are in the country it would be helpful :).

I'm only asking as the price of ours has gone up again from £36/bale to £40! :eek: (5ft bales, very loosely baled) And that's if you collect it, delivery is a minimum order of 3 bales + £20 delivery charge; they're only 6 miles from the yard.
There's only one hay supplier around here because most people feed haylage. Hay is not good quality, very dusty.

Whizza

Visit site
I'm in Lincolnshire. We pay £18 in the summer and £27.50 through the cold months, that includes free delivery.

TelH

Visit site
I use small bales but I have seen a couple of people advertising locally, large round bales for sale for £15. I'm in North Yorkshire.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I used to pay £15 for 2014 cut hay or £20 for 2015 cut, and that was including delivery.
We had to order at least 6 bales, but between me and my friend, we could easily use it.
I'm in Wiltshire, I'd never pay £40, that's extortionate!!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Only buy what you need now. Then when the grass is growing, shop around as farmers want to clear their barns so it will be cheap. Buy hay £10 - £15 a bale, stack outside in rows on pallets, and cover the top half of the bale with plastic. It will still be good for winter 2016/2017.

DSC_0155a_zps42d764fd.jpg

DirectorFury

Visit site
Thanks everyone, confirms my suspicions that we're being ripped off big time :(. I recently found out that the supplier is getting it delivered from their supplier for £10/bale so they're making a massive profit on it. Now I've just got to find some from a different source before next winter.

Only buy what you need now. Then when the grass is growing, shop around as farmers want to clear their barns so it will be cheap. Buy hay £10 - £15 a bale, stack outside in rows on pallets, and cover the top half of the bale with plastic. It will still be good for winter 2016/2017.[...]

Unfortunately the yard I'm on only has storage for one bale at a time. We have space at home but there's no way to get a big vehicle or trailer up the (steep, narrow, and long) drive.

Lintel

Visit site
£35 delivered Central Scotland....
We could get it alot cheaper though but on livery so we take what we get.

old hand

Visit site
Crikey I wish it was that cheap here, £40 for square and round bales. Large hay like haylage are better value as about 15 small bales in them, they are £40 too. Very few suppliers.

fornema

Visit site
Im in the east and have paid this winter, tight baled 5ft £35 and loose £25, i had quotes from a lot of people and most were more around £40incl delivery with a minimum order. Really shows it depends where you are!

atropa

Visit site
Wow..I'm in Central Scotland and pay £45 per bale from YO who gets it delivered from a local farmer. It is tightly baled and possibly bigger than 5 feet? I hope so anyway as I'm being ripped off otherwise! :\

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Before you think you are being ripped off - hay is at a premium this year some farms only managed one cut. Usually it is first cut for their own livestock, 2nd cut to sell. The farmer I get my bales off got one cut last year and has already gone through it and is having to buy in. I'm still only paying £25 a bale fortunately - some places near me are charging £50-60 a bale! I usually cut my own but the summer was that poor that by the time the grass was long enough to cut, the ground was too wet to cope with a tractor :( I took none off mine :(

Brightbay

Visit site
Central Scotland and - sensing a theme here - £30 per bale, plus £10 delivery if I get three. So effectively £33 per bale. I can get a huge round bale of very tightly baled dry haylage for £35, but with a horse on box rest, haylage is a no-no if we want to survive with horse's and my sanity intact.

I have also found the quality very variable - quite dusty - but since it's Scotland I honestly don't know how they manage to make hay at all, the rain rarely seems to break for long enough! So I am thankful for what I can get, and getting a bit worried that if horse is on box rest all summer, it will get increasingly hard to come by. Now I want to know how I can ship a whole load of these £15 bales from down south!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Northampton so a relatively expensive part of the world is £35 delivered and stacked in your space. There is a small minimum order but he does what he can to fit you in with other people.

HelenS

Visit site
Western Scotland....and I haven't found a local supplier of big bales (I came from Lancashire originally and there were several suppliers) so I have to resort to normal baled hay, or small baled haylage at £8.50 each....which my 17.3 could easily eat through in one day.

Jericho

Visit site
In East Anglia there seems to be a real shortage - I pay £40 for a big tightly packed round.

Chloeap

Visit site
We have the big 6x4ft rectangle bales, lasts me ages and cost £40. These are delivered for free. It's good hay, my horse loves it and get a lot out of one bale. I'm in west midlands.

flaxen

Visit site
I have to pay £13 a week for a pony that gets a 2kg haynet twice a day ( in 24/7 ). Im therefore effectively paying £156 for a round bale of rubbish hay. The yard dont allow you to use an outside source. 1 round bale of hay would last my pony 100 days stabled 24/7 and 200 days if out during the day. I used to pay £25 a round bale and it was good hay.