how much do you pay

marmite

Visit site
For your hay ours costs £3 a bale if we buy it off YO but then we can get quite decent sized haylege bales for £6 thats last all 3 of them nearly 2 weeks,is £3 a bale expensive to anyone else but me?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
£3 a bale is a little expensive - however ideally haylage should be used as quickly as possible - at least over a couple of days rather than weeks.

So I would go with the hay.

marmite

Visit site
the haylege always keeps i dont know how but it does most likely becuase we use it in winter and store it well we wont use it in summer because it goes off so quickly we tend to put more in paddocks than nets aswell im sure it blows out and feeds all the other horses too lol.

Tempi

Visit site
when i was looking at moving the yard i looked at was £3 per bale of hay, was really nice stuff tho. I pay 50p haynet of haylage during the summer and £25 a month in the winter of haylage.

amage

Visit site
depends on the quality. i would be wary of feeding haylage 2 weeks after opening it though...it mightn't look or smell bad but it will have lost vast amounts of the nutrients it initially contains.

marmite

Visit site
Granted the hay is good but due to no grass at all and jays ribs and hip bones sticking out we feed the 2 boys up to a bale a day so its getting expensive we have to put most of it in paddock for them so they have something to eat.

marmite

Visit site
most of time it goes in the paddock i think 2 weeks was a slight ott i think the longest we used it for was a week and a half but if we put it out everyday it can last up to a week.

marmite

Visit site
how much my god £90 a week we were paying £65 a week at first yard for full livery with haylege,good turnout and horse walker.

We are D.I.Y now and pay £18 pound a week so £9 a week for me.

marmite

Visit site
Our YO makes her own hay it is nice hay but due to our poor grazing and grass quality im starting to think maybe there isnt that much good stuff in the hay especially as im feeding so much of it and jay is still very skinny.
Its why i havent posted pics of him for so long he dosent look nice at the moment.

Heidi1

Visit site
Pay £2.00 for last years and £2.50 for this year, but don't feed hay, haylage £5.50 (haybale size) or £20 for large square and £25 for round. Thats Nottingham Area...

lizzieuk1

Visit site
used to pay £2.50 off field, £3.00 from barn but this year supplier put price up to £3.50 from the barn way too much i thought so had a chat to friendly sheep shearer who has a friend with lovely hay for £2 from barn or £1 off field what a bargain and the horses love it.

severnmiles

Visit site
Haylage should last a week, one farmer told me if its good stuff it should last upto 2 weeks. (Big bale).

£3.00 a bale for Hay sounds expensive!

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LMAO was wondering if you would pop up and say that rrflmfao

[/ QUOTE ]
well somebody had to. seriously though, should we have to pay, going rate around here for round haylage bale is £20

ihatework

Visit site
Sorry, a bit off topic, but have you had the vet out to see your horse?
I'd be really concerned if mine was dropping huge amounts of weight
(I expect vet has been)

marmite

Visit site
yeah well the haylege we get in the winter we buy i think it was 6 bales at a time and when we open one we use it as fast as we can as long as it looks nice and smells nice and the horses eat it then its fine in my book.
About a week and a half 2 weeks max i cant even remember now winter seems such a long time ago.

I think £3 is very expensive

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
£3 i wouldn't mind that i pay £5 a bale of hay and its not even that nice my horse wouldn't eat it anymore and i have wear gloves when handling it coz its prickly!! you lot are lucky!!

marmite

Visit site
No vet hasnt been out i wish they had of been but as he is only my loan horse and i dont have a contract i cant go ahead and call vets out it is up to his owner,she is aware of the situation and all the horses are dropping off badly if you saw the state of the grazing icipitent can tell you as we are at the same yard also sheeps_of_doom and krissi have both been to visit and were shocked at the state of the grazing.

Which is one of the reasons we are going looking at yards this weekend.

Im not actually riding him at the moment as i cant justify working him while he is so skinny i have told loan sharer how concerned i am but im afraid the ball is in her court its not my place to try get vets out.

ihatework

Visit site
confused.gif

Surely she is reasonable enough that if you offered to arrange and pay for the vet she would agree to let the horse have veterinary attention.

My 2 are out on very poor grazing, they are both coming in for some hay during the day and the youngster is getting a hard feed too. Both ate TB types and although have lost a bit of weight both look well.

Is yours very old? Might is be worth feeding soaked cubes etc. if he is old?

Clodagh

Visit site
Ditto. I'm a farmers wife!!
tongue.gif

We sell our excess hay - lovely stuff - for £2.50 collected or £3 delivered, maybe less for big lots. If anyone needs any we have got about 700 excess bales this year...
wink.gif

aran

community.webshots.com
In the south-east £3 is pretty much standard - it can go up to £4.50 in some areas. We were paying £3.50 per bale or £3.25 if you had more than 5. I'm trying to get the 12 foot bales again this year as they were £28 and lasted ages.

marmite

Visit site
Jesus 4.50 i thought £3 was bad i dont know how most of the people i have spoke to today can afford to feed themselves.