How much do you spend a month on hay and bedding?

Mythical

Visit site
Flamin ell I must be spoiling her rotten!

2 round bales of hay at £37 each
8 bags of shavings at £6.50 each.

I refuse to add it all up, I don't want to know.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
In the winter all our horses are off the grass and turned out in the sand turnout, so all their forage is made up of haylage. Four of them are on ad lib haylage, and the other three have theirs measured to be 2% of their bodyweight (or 1.5% if actively needing to lose weight). The average cost of haylage per horse per month is £90. I have just changed over to straw pellets from wood pellets bedding, and they are slightly more expensive. Each horse costs £60 per month in bedding. So my costs are pretty high. Hard feed is around £40 per month per horse.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm guessing those just feeding 4/5 bales a hay a month must have amazingly good doers! My gang have at least 1/2 a bale of hay each a day!!
Currently on large bales of haylage. Each one is £50 delivered. I was chuffed that the last bale lasted just over a week....that was for the 3 (2 as much as they can eat & 1 a token amount)

glamourpuss

Visit site
So for haylage I spend about £200 a month.
Currently still living out but I am picking up 20 bales of straw this weekend to make beds up in case I have to bring them in. This will cost £30

Nicnac

Visit site
£36 per horse on hay (3 slices a day from a £4 bale which gives 9 slices)

£32 per horse on shavings (one bale of Hunters per week per horse)

But horses out at least 12 hours per day on good grazing and ridden in evenings so only in stable for around 10 hours (8pm to 6am)

6-8 months of the year they have no bedding/hay costs as out 24/7, however should the weather turn to snow, I'll chuck a bale of hay out in the field in the mornings with them.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Bedding - nothing, just my time, we used shredded cardboard on rubber mats. Have an industrial shredder and shred up boxes from OH's business.

Hay - About 1.5 bales per day plus a few handfuls of of straw to go in the fatties nets. So about 42 bales per month so £168. That is for an 11 and 14hh on weight watchers and a 14.1 and 15.3 with 'normal' dietary requirements.

Hard feed for all is just a token feed of speedi beet and own brand hi fi lite to put a vit & min supplement and the oldies meds in. I would be surprised if we spent more than £5 a week.

From about April/May through to Oct they are out 24/7 and hay reduced according to grass growth, apart from the fatties who will continue to have soaked hay and straw when they are off the grass.

Last edited:

foraday

Visit site
1 horse and 1 pony

Barley straw (the coffin size ones) think they are flat 12's 10 per month

Rye Haylage 200kg bales @36 each 2 a month so 72

Total £82 per month

JoannaC

Visit site
For one horse I normally spend £69.50 which consists of one bale of shavings at 9.50 and the rest hay. I feed ad lib on the floor so any leftovers are then used as bedding which saves me money on shavings. Occassionally though I may use two bales so add an extra £9.50.

wiglet

Visit site
I would prefer to give a weekly figure - it's not as painful :D
If you insist on monthly though...
2 Horses =
10 x small bale haylage £54.00
12 x small bale hay £42.00
8 x shavings £46.60

Total... nah... you add it up - I can't bare to!!

pottamus

Visit site
Hay - 1/3 small bale per day when he is in over night. 1 small bale is £4.50 and I typically use 10 bales per month.
Bedding - I currently use Bliss and that is about £7 per bale and I use 6-7 bales per month.

Faro

Visit site
Shall I make you all exceedingly jealous now?

Bedding - zero, zilch, nada, nothing (they all live out 24/7 365).

Hay - Bought about 2 bales the whole of last year, just for filling travelling haynets - so about a tenner altogether.

Haylage -none in summer, and grazing is still reasonable here, so I haven't started feeding extra yet this winter. When I do, a big round bale is £40 - lasts my five 10 days with free access to it. Last winter the gang had access to a full 30 acres of winter grazing, so I only used 1 bale of haylage when there was snow, as there was more than enough grass. Even then, apart from the oldie, none of them dropped weight!

Don't think I'll be quite so lucky this year though, as will be using different winter grazing field than usual.

Puppy

Visit site
I'm guessing those just feeding 4/5 bales a hay a month must have amazingly good doers! My gang have at least 1/2 a bale of hay each a day!!

Just what I was thinking. I have 3 horses (15.3-16.1) and a dinky pony currently getting through about 2.5 bales a day. :confused:

whirlwind

Visit site
£9 a week ad lib hay/ hayledge for the little ones, £10 for the bigger ones per week and one bale of shavings a week each at £7 on average. So £64 a month for little ones, £68 for others. Then the ones that winter at home are out 24/7 so no bedding and about 2 bales of hay each at £3.50 a week so about £30 a month. All added together doesn't bare thinking about!

EnduroRider

Visit site
Cardboard bedding
£5.50 per bale.
6 bales a month
Total £33.00 per horses

Haylage
100kg bales, £22 each
TB gets 10kg per day so £66 per month
Youngster 5kg per day so £33with per month

Zargon_91

Visit site
I pay £60 a week for DIY livery, we get adlib hay/haylage and 1 bale shavings a week (we get a full bed to start with) i do have to suppliment his bed though. We also get HiFi lite and HiFi apple. Its actually works out cheaper over the winter but is expensive in the summer when turnout goes back to 24 hours...
But its a collage and a competition centre so it all works out... heres to hoping anyways :p