How much does your horse cost you a month?

dibbin

Visit site
Erk. I'd rather not think about it!

Livery £100 (DIY)
Shoes £35 (£70 per set roughly every 8 weeks/2 months)
Hard feed £8 (£16 per bag, one bag lasts about 2 months)
Feed supplements £30 (very roughly, we have 2 on Sarc-Ex and he gets NAF ProFeet)
Hay £40 (roughly, we do a shared order between 3 horses as and when we need it - ours are in at night and out with hay in the field during the day)
Insurance £45

Rough monthly total - £258

I reckoned it would be about £250 so I wasn't far off! Jazz is a very good doer though - my sister's horse goes through an £18 bag of feed every fortnight!

Plus the annual one-offs of vaccinations (about £60) and teeth (about £40), things that are bought sporadically like rugs, numnahs, overreach boots ....

High Hope

Visit site
Atm- £462 minimum for 2 horses

1 at DiY livery 230 pm
52.50 shoes
60 feed and bed
30 insurance

My retired old boy is at my mums stud - 90 pm

I also have a tonne of vets bills for both atm, so realistically a lot more than that!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hmm, just sat with a calculator....for CF and TF annually:

Farrier: £426 (CF has fronts every 6 weeks & TF inspection every 6 weeks but trim 12 weeks)
Hay: £270 for 60 bales
Feed: £200 or thereabouts, have rounded up a bit tho (TF doesn't really get included in this)
Bedding: £130 ish (20 bales at 6.50 each)
Flu vaccs: £100 the pair, inc call out & health check.
Wormer: £30-ish the pair as get done twice yearly.

So, annual total: £1156, therefore monthly amount is approx £86 over the year :) - for both of them.

However, this does NOT allow for yard maintenance, paddock upkeep - fencing, harrowing, rolling, weed spraying, repairs, non-routine vet visits, rug cleaning, tack purchase or repairs, nor running the box tho.

Mine haven't had hay out in the fields this winter in daytime, so a big saving there.
TF is on deep litter and has had a whole bale in there since end October (its still spotless, bless her), CF on semi-deep litter, but again the pair didn't properly come in at night till 2nd week in November & have just gone out 24/7 this last week, tho admitedly with a shelter in their paddock. Their stables are ready just in case tho, if the weather really turns as I dont want paddocks trashed now.

My current 'equine' budget is £300 pcm tho (without horsebox expenses), so any savings I make on 1 thing gets used on others :)

RubysGold

Visit site
I have two horses and the costs vary slightly but I'll do an average on my younger horse

DIY livery £60 a month
Hay, about £20 a month
Bedding £24 a month
Feed I buy a bag if and when needed so like £10 every couple of months
In summer I have lessons £80 a month

Farrier £20 every 6 weeks
Insurance £30 a month

I then have vet dentist physio saddle fitter etc whenever needed

DirectorFury

Visit site
Not including tow car + trailer:
Livery - £100/month (DIY, huge stable, 30x60 outdoor with new surface, 10 acres of turnout between 4 mares, XC course and gallops on site, only 2 other liveries, forestry hacking about 2 miles away).
Hay - £38/month for a large round.
Bedding - £26/month (£6.50/bale, 1 bale a week using flax).
Farrier - £60/6 weeks, full set.
Insurance - £35/month.
Vet - £60 for vacs, roughly £5/month.
Lessons - £15 for 45 mins, 4-6 times a month + 2 jump lessons @ £40 for 45 mins = £130/month.
Feed - £25/month for balancer + chaff.
Competing/Fun Rides - £60/month

Total: £480/ month. I could do this for about £200 less though if I stopped lessons + competing.

Tow car + trailer:
Car insurance - £60/month
Car tax - £20/month
Trailer insurance - £20/month

Adds £100 onto the above figure.

Then there are general consumables and maintenance that is done on them, but I don't like to think about it too much! I'm lucky in that I can afford this plus any extras she might need like a new rug or bridle or something. I could definitely cut down my costs if this became too much but it's fine at the moment :).

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
455 part livery
20 trailer parking
100 lessons
24 feed
125 supplements
70 farrier (4-5weeks)
50 Bedding
Currently £20 per day medication

Depressing! Not to mention the hundreds i spend on him having shiny- new the best of everything

mandwhy

Visit site
Mine live out on a farm at £50 a head, and insurance about 22 quid, I may spend up to 50 per month on feed in the deepest darkest winter months Inc hay as I don't use much, one gets her feet trimmed every now and then, the other one literally never needs it when the farrier comes, so I spend a max of 150 a month average Inc annual costs. This is actually a bit more expensive than when I have just rented land but it is much nicer having someone else faff with the fences and I often don't have to poo pick as they roll harrow and rotate some areas - glorious!

mudmudmud

Visit site
Full livery- £307
Shoes (8 weeks)- £55
Insurance- £35
Feed- £25
Lessons- £40
Competing- £30-£90 depending if unaff or affiliated

So about £400 a month excluding competitions

Last edited:

Ponycarrots

Visit site
I'm a moneyless youth so do have to be wise and have always picked the cheapest options I can to be able to keep my horses.
I rent a field which is £100 for 2 horses per month so for one I'll say £50
Feed, probably about £25
Haylage £70
Mine are unshod and I ride on roads so don't need trims too often
They live out so no bed needed
Insurance, about £40
Them's my basics! I also have lessons £50 per month
Going to be competing hopefully once a month at least so £15 ish.

All in all around £250 :O knew I shouldn't have done that...but theyre worth all the hard work I have to do to be able to afford them :)

ihatework

Visit site
hello Guys :) I wish to refresh this thread.:)
How much you spend monthly for your horses in 2020?

There are quite a few threads on this more recent.

You will find a huge range depending on what people do with their horses and where they are located.

For reference, all in (except large unexpected vets bills) I budget the following:

£150/month for non working horses at grass

£500/month for ridden stabled horses on decent DIY and with some local level light competing / lessons

£800/month for above but training/competing more intensively

£1000/month for schooling/breaking or part livery and competing yourself

£1200/month competition livery excluding international costs

sherry90

Visit site
Eek what a thread to resurrect as if 2020 isn’t bad enough ?

I spend approx £450 on full livery, £26 every 6 weeks for a trim, feed is approx £20 a month averaged out over the year including supplements. I then have chiro/physio at £30 each every 6-8 weeks or as needed (sometimes he goes longer between sessions) and teeth, saddle checks every 6 months (sometimes saddle is more frequent depends if he changes shape)
Insurance is £51 a month. I reckon I’m averaging about £550-£600 a month ?

DirectorFury

Visit site
My figures in 2020 aren't that different to 2015 really!
The biggest change was that she moved to full livery in 2016 and we stopped competing or going anywhere so I don't need to maintain a tow car and trailer regularly.
Full livery - £80pw / £320pm (I love the yard, they could put the price up to anything and I'd pay it!)
Shoes - £80 every 5-6 weeks
3rd party ins - £9pm
Misc money for stuff - £100

So easily £500pm just for the basics. I also save an extra £200 a month in 'her' account in lieu of insurance, plus have an emergency credit card with a large limit. The misc money is allowed to build up and gets used to replace rugs, tack, etc. If/when I regain an interest in going out and about and competing the misc money will be used for that too :).
I try not to think what else I could do with £700pm, or the fact that I could have bought a house outright with the money I've spent in the 7 years I've owned her!

atropa

Visit site
Just did a quick calculation and I'm averaging £355/month per horse including DIY livery on a high spec yard, forage, bedding, farrier who i also pay travel costs for and feed/supplements.
Easily spend a lot more on vets, physios, saddle fitter, comp fees, maintaining trailer and towing vehicle, lessons, equipment. If I had to I could massively cut some spending on yard choice, feed/supplements and farrier.

Zoe67

Visit site
Not sure I want to do this...

Livery £450 (full livery 5 days, part at weekends - inclusive of hay, feed & bedding)
Farrier £90 - every 6 weeks
Physio £60 - every 6 weeks
Supplements £80 ( :'( )
Lessons/comps £80 on average, at a guess

Totals £760

Then have the costs for the lorry, tax/insurance/petrol etc.

Annual costs such as membership fees, vaccines, have the saddler out twice a year... and also the lovely one off costs that seem to happen quite often! Just splashed out on a new saddle and a new rambo

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I am not even going to begin to add up my lot.... 4 on 7 day full livery, a box that has not done a comp this year but is still ready to go if an emergency. 1 is a walking vet bill, I have just spent 1200 on him for a freak ear cut ! Staples and stitches. No wo see I am always at work. I did not expect to be back to 4 but my mate passed and left me her horse and I k is I should sell one if them but I just cannot do it. Jill had had such a crap time the year before she passed and the horse was the only thing she stayed positive for. So looks like retirement is on hold for some time now !

FireCracker238

Visit site
Thank you Kezzabell, your ridden horse makes my lad look cheap ? with the exception of feed, Xander's on the 20kg bag of F4F at £84 but I can get 6 weeks out of it in winter

Tarragon

Visit site
for TWO ponies kept at grass, per month
£200 on DIY livery
£60 on hay (to keep keep sugary grass intake to a minimum in spring and summer and supplement winter grazing in winter months)
Minimal hoof care costs as trim myself and have professional trimmer in 3 times a year £25 each pony so about £15 per month
Minimal feed as don't need much, say £25 per month
Minimal bedding as field kept but access to stables. Wood pellet bedding. say 4 bags per month £20
Training only happens for 2/3 of the year as trainer comes to me and I have no arena at £40 per session roughly once a fortnight so about £60 per month

Trailer and car - insurance, maintenance and running - who knows!

so £380 per month for 2 ponies
or £190 per month per pony

Griffin

Visit site
On a 'cheap month' £400, including part-livery, lessons and any extras. Rubber matting really helps with my bedding costs!

Equi

Visit site
On a good month (i.e. one where a vet isnt needed which is rare) about £300 to include livery, bedding, feed and supplements. Throw another £60 for feet on alternate months. Usually the vet is needed though, never for the same thing but always comes to about £200 lol

This is why i can't afford a second horse. My horse is the same price as two healthy ones. But at least he is having care vs what he has before he came to me

eventinghenry

Visit site
Probably average about £600 a month? Full livery £433 per month (including hay/feed/bedding etc.), farrier £60 every 8wks, about £45 on insurance and usually about another £100-150 a month on competing/hunting/clinics/lessons. If money is tight will forego lessons/clinics!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
This was less scary when he was on DIY livery back in 2015 and about £250 :D He's now on part livery and I budget around £600-700 pcm.

I still keep a spreadsheet though, so I still know where it goes :)

madabouthehorse

Visit site
Winter:
2 x DIY livery @ £108 each = £216
6 x small straw @ 3.75 = 22.50
18 small hay @ £4.75= £85.50
4x aubiose @£9.50= £38
Hard feed- 1balancer £30 1 soothe & gain £11, (1/2 bag of top chop zero, half bag healthy tummy £10) = £51
Farrier- £40
£453 total

Summer:
2 x DIY livery @ £108 each = £216
2x hay @ £4.75= £9.50
Hard feed- 1balancer £30
Farrier- £40
£292.5 total

Then obviously vet/med additional costs as and when!

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Put it this way it’s a good job I don’t go on holidays, Smoke or drink, or go clothes shopping or have any sort of social life, but I wouldn’t change it for the world as my horses are my Valium in life so I don’t mind the cost while I can afford it but I am very careful with my expenditure as my furlough ends next week so then only on my pension but I won’t be cutting corners the horses will have the same care, OH will have to chip in ???

Mule

Visit site
I keep mine at home and they live out so I'm fortunate not to have to pay for livery but I'm still afraid to add it up. 1 month of the beasts tablets are €157.57 :eek: