How much does your hunt charge to PTS?

jodie3

Visit site
As title really.

My local hunt are going to charge me £200 to come out and shoot my elderly laminitic pony.
Given that they will feed most of her to the hounds I thought that seemed quite alot but I am prepared to be proved wrong! (I am not a hunt subscriber)

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Mine went to the Heythrop last year - they came, did the deed and took him away for £150. 'tis no longer free like the good old days, a sad reflect on times and the reason I think why you see a lot of older horses advertised as companions as putting them down is so expensive. My boy was only 14 but had had enough.

jodie3

Visit site
Thank you.

Apparently it would be £100 if I was a subscriber.

Someone said they thought it was expensive disposing of bones etc?

No, not on any medication so could safely be fed to hounds.

lucy1984

Visit site
Quorn Hunt - £150 to shoot and take away (fed to dogs)

or if sedated first £200 to shoot and take away (partially fed to dogs).

It costs them £1000 to have a skip full of body parts (What the dogs cant have) disposed of properly hence why it's so expensive.

(Edited to say this is based on disposing of a 17hh thoroughbred)

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Fabulous.....that sort of thing gives me goosebumps

Thanks, he loved hunting and used to quiver with excitment when it went off on my phone (it was my ring tone), after he broke down due to a dressage related injury (ironically, not a hunting one). I thought it was the nicest thing I could do, he was a fantastic servant and friend.

They dealt with it in a very sympathetic way, far better than when Potters extracted £350 off me for removing my mare who had died of colic with a faulty lorry that I had to sit in the cab with my foot on the brake as the hand brake didn't work and it was moving every time they tried to winch her on. After an experience like that I would rather use a hunt kennel anyday.

dotty1

Visit site
Eight years ago my local hunt wanted £250 and I had to take him there. I am not a subscriber.

Made other arrangements........

Archangel

Visit site
£140. (I am not a subscriber). Given the price of petrol, time, the eventual disposal process (not a five minute job I should imagine) I think it was a fair price. My horse's last vet bill (for visit and blood test) before sadly being put down was £274 so it seems even more reasonable now.

I'm sorry you are losing your pony.

Ommadawn

Visit site
The hunt will ahve to pay a substantial amount to dispose of what is left after feeding to the hounds - this has to be done through a DEFRA approved route to comply with EU rules on disposing of animal by products.

I think the fact that you aren't a subscriber will also make a difference. I think that before the EU rules came in then our local hunt would dispose of sheep free of charge if the hunt was allowed to crosss the farmer's land - but I think they even charge them now...

As for feeding to hounds, as GinaB says - waste not want not. I always think it quite fitting that a hunting horse ends up feeding the hounds - if that's not too macabre!

Sagittarius

Visit site
Why do they feed the horse to the hounds?

Why else would the hunt take the horse?

Once the horse is dead it is a carcass - just like a cow as mentioned above. The hunt has a large number of dogs to feed; a carcass provides meat for those dogs.

Hunt still has to dispose of the non meat products, but this is "recycling" in its most natural form.

Rana

Visit site
Slight post hijack here, sorry OP.

Can I ask a totally numpty question, I haven't had much to do with hunting and only had one PTS before (vet, injection).

Do ALL hunts offer this service, or is it just some of them? I'm sure I heard a rumour that our nearest hunt isn't doing it now. I'd much prefer my current horse to be shot, and I think the hunt would do a better job than the vet as they must do it more often.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Eight years ago my local hunt wanted £250 and I had to take him there. I am not a subscriber.

Made other arrangements........

AS you weren't a subscriber I can see why they would charge you that because you were using them for your own ends and they are not charities; they would have charged a subscriber/farmer much less I would have thought as a token of goodwill. I find you can't put a price on their experience; it's a horrid deed which they carry out with compassion for you and dignity for the horse; my choice every time.

As to pony pies, no different to horse steaks or cow burgers; hounds appreciate it all.:)

honetpot

Visit site
If they are processing carcasses (?) they have to have an incinerator, and follow all H&S rules and regs. So it has to be a big enough hunt and have enough money to buy the kit and do the paperwork. They take farm animals as good will and charge farmer less as they my need to go over their land at sometime even if it may land that the hunt is allowed to cross on a normal hunting day.
During foot and mouth hunts did work for DEFRA which seems a rich when then goverment was intent on shutting them down.But lets not go there.
Our local hunt chages £80 done in the field and I think this is a snip. One of our pony clubs do a visit to the kennels, this includes if they want and the boys usually do, visiting the flesh house. I may add parents go with them on this visit.
Disposing of carcasses is expensive, if you have a dog put PTS at the vets and leave the body you will get a charge but it will probabely be hidden in the billing

Last edited: