How much dried food at one meal?

Snuffles

Visit site
I am going to start feeding dog kibble, but not sure how much it is safe to feed in one meal. Talking about recommended daily allowance 360 - 500g odd for size of dog. I am bit worried about possible bloat after losing a dog to it many years ago. Anyone help ?

Mynstrel

Visit site
We feed kibble but always pour hot water over and leave it to cool before they get it so it's not dry going into their stomach and it's hopefully done any swelling before it's eaten.

I never feed more than a mugfull (when dry) in one meal, but I find the recommended allowance is usually way more than they need anyway, so you might not need to feed as much as you think.

C1airey

Visit site
Soak the kibble beforehand - you'll be surprised at how much it swells.

Look at the dog. Imagine how small/big it's stomach is likely to be and feed an appropriate amount.

If you notice weight gain/loss, adjust accordingly.

This is how I used to feed our cats before we moved them onto raw, essentially by volume, not weight.

QuantockHills

Visit site
I have 2 GSD's and they each have 1 3/4 of a standard size mug... i don't go by the recommended amount as it's far too much.... i put some warm water with it and let it soak for 30 minutes. I'm on GSD's number 4 and 5 and previously hada great dane so i know your concerns re bloat. Touch wood i've never had a problem feeding this way. PS - I also never feed an hour either side of exercise....

Mightymax

Visit site
You don't say what your feeding regime is, but I feed kibble twice a day (morning and evening), splitting the full amount into two smaller feeds. I was led to believe that this can help reduce the risk of bloat.

Bellasophia

Visit site
We also soak the kibble..

I feed my st poodle twice a day..boiled chicken ,veg and just a little soaked kibble at lunch...
Larger portion of Soaked kibble and a little beef or fish at six pm..

jenniaddams

Visit site
Our collies get half a tin of whatever's in the cupboard, and about a cup of kibble mixed together. Can't say I've ever read the RDA - we tend to just go with what looks sensible and how they are looking in themselves on it.

meesha

Visit site
We leave dried food down at all times, slim fit BC. She only eats when hungry, never had an issue. Water always available. We also give leftovers and she is out with me most days so I buy her lunch if forget her food.

BSL

Visit site
We leave dried food down at all times, slim fit BC. She only eats when hungry, never had an issue. Water always available. We also give leftovers and she is out with me most days so I buy her lunch if forget her food.

I do the same for my two chihuahuas. Fed on Orijen red. They graze all day as and when . Works for us.

Alec Swan

Visit site
How much? As much as a dog can consume in 6-8 minutes. Remove what's left and offer the same the next night, and from their work out the daily need.

Alec.

mainpower

Visit site
This is what we do, five varying size/breed dogs so individual meals would be challenging! I feed Dr Johns (I have no idea of nutritional value but I'm happy with the amount/consistency of their poos, cheaper brands created too much mess )!
I put 6 mugs in several bowls in the morning, and take up what's left at around 5pm.
The skinny old lurchers also get a tin of meat for breakfast, and any scraps.

Snuffles

Visit site
Blimey food wouldnt stay around in my house, I can barely get it out of the tin/packet etc. Dog hoovers his up so fast I feel I should be putting a rock or something in his bowl to slow him up, except he'd probably eat the rock as well.

Clodagh

Visit site
How much? As much as a dog can consume in 6-8 minutes. Remove what's left and offer the same the next night, and from their work out the daily need.

Alec.

If our labs ate for 6 - 8 minutes they would be the size of elephants! You people with lurchers and spaniels may find it an easier way. :)

C1airey

Visit site

Alec.

6-8 MINUTES!?

Blimey, if I had the misfortune to knock myself out cold at feeding time, they'd scoff me whole in that time. And they're only JRXs!

Clodagh

Visit site
Just for fun I timed our labs tonight, both kibble with some chicken stock and left over broccolli. Old lab had twice young lab as she has gone all skinny. Old lab took just under 2 minutes, young lab took 1.5 mins. I didn't count bowl licking which took a lot longer.

C1airey

Visit site
Minutes? How are all you people timing in minutes?

I put puppy's bowl down at one end of the kitchen, walk five paces, and by the time I put the other dog's bowl down, puppy has finished. By the time I go back to pick up puppy's bowl, dog has finished.

Seconds. Mealtimes take seconds!