How much for a green WB 6yr old?

Ingramah

Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice here. A friend is selling a warmblood mare - 6yrs old, hacks out but has had minimal schooling - no lateral work. Never seen a pole and hasn't been competed. I've known her for a couple of years and she's sound. We are based in Scotland where nothing seems to be selling at the moment. The owner is giving up and looking to keep her local if possible. Any ideas on price?

LankyDoodle

Visit site
No more than 2k. Of course that is my opinion, but I would not pay more than 2k for it. I bought a warmblood from a friend in Sept, before the market took a real slump, although it was slow back then as well. He is a 17.2 or 17.3 7 year old, has been extremely expertly schooled, hacks alone and in company, is good in most ways but needs work on loading due to his size, has manageable sweet itch, done some local dressage and SJ but not a great deal, honest and gentle. He came with tack and his small wardrobe of rugs, and was up for 3500. I paid 3000 (mates' rates). He was probably worth about 4k at that time. I would now expect him to be up for 3k regardless of whether the people were friends or not. I would expect to knock some off that. My boy has excellent breeding and still I wouldn't pay more than 3k for him now, as he hasn't done anything yet.

At the end of the day, the horse has not done much and will need a lot of work on schooling etc. I would definitely not go above 2k.